Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2013, 20:46   #1

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Live Aboard - Dominican Republic?

We have pretty much been invited to live in the Dominican Republic by friends. Haven't investigated it much yet, but the first question that comes to mind is: Is there a decent, inexpensive, safe place to live aboard in DR?
That is a pretty broad question, but it may work into more details if anyone has experience in the DR.

Thanks

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 20:52   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Live Aboard - Dominican Republic?

Luperon comes to mind.
Old 15-03-2013, 07:20   #3

Boat: Sold - Landlocked

Thanks AVB3. I appreciate your response to such a vague question. Have you been to Luperon (cruising) and if so, what are some of the reasons you think of Luperon for living there? What is the cost of living like? Is there a marina there for live aboards? Reasonably safe?
Thanks

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 07:30   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Luperon is very safe in terms of weather related , i mean you can be there safe with almost all kind of weather except Hurricanes, the living is cheap, motoconchos or guaguas are cheap, food is cheap, no hig skilled boats services, the town is dirty but nice people around, lots of barnacles in your bottom in just 1 week in Luperon, safety depend , dingy at night in deck or lifted, no loose stuff around, lock the boat day and night , in town is safe, just becarefull with your wallet or cameras or things like that ,,, for me a nice place to be for a while.... In the South side of the island there is plenty of Marinas , La romana, Boca Chica etc....Enjoy the island,.....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 07:31   #5

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I was in Puerta Plata, headed north, so I didn't make it to Luperon. I do know its very popular among cruisers. I can also say that of every island I visited along the way from Antigua to Florida, the Dominican Republic was the least expensive for living. of Course all I remember was beer was about three pesos which was less than a dollar American. The Dominican citizens were very friendly. They did steal some ones bicycle off the pier on which I tied up.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 07:39   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Live Aboard - Dominican Republic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
The Dominican citizens were very friendly. They did steal some ones bicycle off the pier on which I tied up.
Big pier huh...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

A Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 07:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
Course all I remember was beer was about three pesos which was less than a dollar American.
Presidente! ( I quite liked it.)

We used to go to Cabarete (east of Puerto Plata). The locals were very nice. We met one American who'd retired there. He had a nice small place on the beach, he learned the language and hung with the locals... he was really happy there.

We did find it humid sometimes. I don't know if I'd be a liveaboard there, but a small apartment or condo, shaded by trees and exposed to the sea breeze... mmmmmm.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 11:04   #8

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Luperon is very safe in terms of weather related , i mean you can be there safe with almost all kind of weather except Hurricanes,
I thought Luperon was a Hurricane Hole. Am I wrong?
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 02:53   #9

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

I am also pondering the idea of the Dominican Republic. Are there any members who have actually anchored anywhere other than Samana or Luperon or anywhere along the Northern Coastline?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 03:43   #10

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Do you really want to live-aboard in the DR? I would not recommend it! You'll constantly have to watch your boat, and any attachments to it. While the people are very nice, many are hungry and destitute. It will not be a long term enjoyable experience, as you'll need to worry about your boat being pilfered. Skip Hispaniola island altogether! Check some of the islands surrounding Puerto Rico or St. Thomas, USVI. Good luck! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 05:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Do you really want to live-aboard in the DR? I would not recommend it! You'll constantly have to watch your boat, and any attachments to it. While the people are very nice, many are hungry and destitute. It will not be a long term enjoyable experience, as you'll need to worry about your boat being pilfered. Skip Hispaniola island altogether! Check some of the islands surrounding Puerto Rico or St. Thomas, USVI. Good luck! Mauritz

Thanks for that, our time there would be short, maybe a week or 10 days, so I suppose that it wouldn't really be a case of "liveaboard" but rather more of a case of knowing about anchorages etc. It is out of a sense of adventure to experience something a little different that we are looking at cruising the DR.
Old 28-03-2013, 17:37   #12

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

My lady-friend spent a week in Cabarete a little over a year ago with the intent of deciding whether on not it might be viable retirement destination.

She was most favorably impressed.

Luperon on the other hand was not to her liking. She found it to be decidely isolated and remote whether one be on a boat or not.

btw... She tells me that the northern coast is pocketed by a number of German, Canadian, elsewhere communities.
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 00:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Blondie-Dog View Post
My lady-friend spent a week in Cabarete a little over a year ago with the intent of deciding whether on not it might be viable retirement destination.

She was most favorably impressed.

Luperon on the other hand was not to her liking. She found it to be decidely isolated and remote whether one be on a boat or not.

btw... She tells me that the northern coast is pocketed by a number of German, Canadian, elsewhere communities.
Tks for that info, I assume she didn't go there as a cruiser?
Old 29-03-2013, 01:18   #14

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Are there any nice places to anchor in DR? I too have heard bad things about the water in Luperon. I thought it might be a good place to hole up durring Hurricane season. What a shame. Pretty Island, nice people, a society that could no doubt bennefit from a little influx in the money-department and from what I hear--Luperon (Bay?) is a sespool. "Pooperon"?

I hope I'm wrong. I would love someone to correct me!
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 05:30   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See Frank Virgintino’s (Free) “Cruising Guide to the Dominican Republic”
Dominican Republic Cruising Guide

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote