Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 07:56   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by useDaGreyMatter View Post
That's my thoughts on this entire thing exactly, and what I'm working on getting done, although I probably will go with some sort of engine, maybe.
An engine is not needed, puts restrains on you. "I have heard more than once "don't go down the Mississippi there is not gas past St Louis." I am not missing the best part of the trip because of gas. I have the extra money now and possibly the time so I will put in the Golf cart motor. How much more peaceful can it get.

Dan
Skipper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:58   #62

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
You can get gas. We got gas in Wyclif KY, wa are at Mud Island marina in Memphis right now. They has gas and diesel both. A real good full service marina. If you have a 200 mile range you will be fine.
Old 11-11-2010, 14:09   #63
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
To some to be able to live aboard for next to nothing requires sacrifices that they can not really comprehend....while for other it entails freeing themselves of the same things...things that encumber and cloud your vision of the world, allowing a freedom few even dream of.
Old 11-11-2010, 14:32   #64

I wanted to also add that I am talking to more people now than I ever have before. Lonely I am not. I have to anchor out sometimes just to get a few peaceful moments.

Dan
Old 11-11-2010, 15:02   #65

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Dan View Post
Well I am in the minority, and I like it. You do have some good observations. There are two ways to skin a cat so to speak. I hardly think that something not built in can be a violation (The stove). Gives me something to look in to anyway. I have no experience with ocean storms. From everything I read though I never heard of motoring through it. I have heard of "riding it out" though. The outboard is just to get down the Mississippi. Once in FL I will convert to electric. Rachel Ray lived in a what, 10'x12' cabin in the Adirondacks before she got famous? But she's upsized a bit since then. I was just upsized, I designed, built, and lived in a 7,000 sq ft house. The taxes were more than I will spend in 5 years now. I downsized after upsizing. I am happier in my little boat. I would not mind having one other person along (preferably 5'3" 125# 35 year old beauty) but I do not want to depend on 1) an engine or 2) any crew. Once you have to depend on something else, things get more difficult. This is not a hobby or vacation. This is a way of life. I will look into the stove, but I think as long as it is not built in there is little they can do. I do not plan on docking in marinas. Remember I am in minority if not in a class by myself.

Bonne nuit Dan
Well posts like this are making me feel like joining the “minority”. I am bored senseless in a rented house and currently have the boat anchored hardly a mile away. I was on her yesterday looking at the immediate repairs I need to do; nothing too serious.

The thing about the house is while it is in perfect spot and has all the conveniences I am just burning the money I could be putting into the repairs on rent and unnecessary bills. Then while I am sitting here I could have been on the boat fidgeting with bits and pieces. At least playing with this stuff keeps me occupied and I would be putting effort into something I own and not someone else’s property.
Old 12-11-2010, 21:47   #66

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Skipper Dan is my new hero! Keep on keepin on!
Old 12-11-2010, 22:09   #67
Eternal Member

My "land ties" eat up about 50-60% of my income, with the refit I am doing this winter costing an additional 20%, so once I cut those I will be able to live quite comfortably with enough of an income to modestly support me and a crew member
Old 12-11-2010, 22:29   #68

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Well posts like this are making me feel like joining the “minority”. I am bored senseless in a rented house and currently have the boat anchored hardly a mile away. I was on her yesterday looking at the immediate repairs I need to do; nothing too serious.

The thing about the house is while it is in perfect spot and has all the conveniences I am just burning the money I could be putting into the repairs on rent and unnecessary bills. Then while I am sitting here I could have been on the boat fidgeting with bits and pieces. At least playing with this stuff keeps me occupied and I would be putting effort into something I own and not someone else’s property.
I've got the same here only I own my place free and clear. Instead of "being happy" and grateful that I own my place in these economic crunch times. I have come to the conclusion it is just not me. I'm in the process of negotiating a couple of different boats. The minute I find me one and take possession, its all systems go for getting her ready to go, selling this place and cut the dock lines. If your boat is livable why put up with all that extra expense ? Doing something you are that unhappy with is

just go for it! What is holding you back?

Old 12-11-2010, 22:43   #69

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
My "land ties" eat up about 50-60% of my income, with the refit I am doing this winter costing an additional 20%, so once I cut those I will be able to live quite comfortably with enough of an income to modestly support me and a crew member
Same here. Once I cut the city bills of lights water sewerage , cable, car insurance etc, all i have left to shell out is the cell bill which Id be paying any way. and what ever slip fees I'll have off and on for those times I NEED a marina. The way I see it Ill have about 250 to 300 for the sailing kitty. That's a cool 3000 to 3600 a year for me and boat repairs, which i won't mind spending near as much as house maintenance. After all when did this house ever carry me to places like the Caribbean, Bermuda, the Bahamas or Europe? I can buy a LOT of sail for that kind of money and still have money left over to cruise/ party on. ( Did I mention I'm doing this as a career change/ move. My new career once I get this all set in place is as a self taught apprentice party animal, middle aged division).

Every one sing .......
you know the tune.....

I'm going sailing in the morning,,,
ding dong the watch is gonna chime...
Pull up the anchor,
hoist up the mains sail
and get me to the dock on time.
Old 13-11-2010, 20:31   #70

Location: Alberta, StarShip currently in Valdivia,Chile cruising
Boat: CW Atlantic 49 Mast foil
Hey Dan....I think both you and kayak Bill have mansions in your own right. Lots of us to some degree are envious...and thinkin...but not many will pull the trigger.
Rosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 21:45   #71

I think someone should study up on sailboats more if you're going to cruise the ocean... one needs to have a blue ocean sailboat to sail the seven seas... the cheaper older boats don't have the correct keels/ hulls or rudders.. They tend to fall apart in heavy seas. also most cruisers turn off the mississippi river and onto the ohio river and than down the tenn. river to the tenn-tom waterway and down to mobile, Alabama... much safer than putting up with the huge tows on the mississippi.. but than again more cruisers will tell you that as you get along with your trip..
jimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 22:20   #72

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by useDaGreyMatter View Post
I've got the same here only I own my place free and clear. Instead of "being happy" and grateful that I own my place in these economic crunch times. I have come to the conclusion it is just not me. I'm in the process of negotiating a couple of different boats. The minute I find me one and take possession, its all systems go for getting her ready to go, selling this place and cut the dock lines. If your boat is livable why put up with all that extra expense ? Doing something you are that unhappy with is just go for it! What is holding you back?
I agree – I am just sitting back trying not to take things too serious while letting things take a fairly natural course. Maybe I am just waiting for the crunch when I get evicted and put on a 5 year rental blacklist. Over here they still do these things even if you have been renting from the same landlord and/or estate agent for over a decade and have fallen behind more than two weeks due genuine circumstances.

Then maybe my actions are some sort of protest. Half the problem is that the real estate is driving me nuts with threats mainly because the rent my landlord has chosen to charge is too low. If they get rid of me and convince him to do a few renovations they can near double the rent and their commission. Greedy tyrants?

At any rate going cruising for 5 years is not the worst thing that could happen?
Let’s see what next week brings!
Old 14-11-2010, 07:30   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimini View Post
I think someone should study up on sailboats more if you're going to cruise the ocean... one needs to have a blue ocean sailboat to sail the seven seas... the cheaper older boats don't have the correct keels/ hulls or rudders.. They tend to fall apart in heavy seas. also most cruisers turn off the mississippi river and onto the ohio river and than down the tenn. river to the tenn-tom waterway and down to mobile, Alabama... much safer than putting up with the huge tows on the mississippi.. but than again more cruisers will tell you that as you get along with your trip..
Maybe you have not heard of the "Triton". It has sailed around the world more than once and by many different people. It is a full keeled sailboat and built twice as strong as it needed to be. You are sadly misunderstood as far as old sailboats go. The older ones were overbuilt because the builders had yet to understand the strength of fiberglass. As a matter of fact I did research sailboats and went out looking for the one I picked. It is one of the easiest and safest single handed boats afloat. I am also outfitting it for blue water cruising. It has a full keel, attached rudder, and narrow beam. Perfect for blue water. Google "Atom"

Most cruisers turn off on the Ohio to the Tenn-Tom because they want the marinas to pull into. Since I do not pull into marinas and the Barges do not bother me I am going to go down the Mississippi. I may pick up my electric motor before I take off again so even fuel will not be an issue.

Life is an adventure, live it. Popular is not always the best route.

Dan
Old 14-11-2010, 07:44   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
Hey Dan....I think both you and kayak Bill have mansions in your own right. Lots of us to some degree are envious...and thinkin...but not many will pull the trigger.
It is hard to "Pull the trigger". When my son dropped me off at the marina where I departed from, I was shaking. Very tearful good by. It took two days to calm down and get into a routine. Then I met Bill in the kayak, it all came into perspective after that. I had it good, from were Bill sat. Now as I sit here in the marina waiting for my operation, I am sad that I cannot get going again. I have been to marinas that are not as nice as "My River Home" but I think if you look hard enough you can always find a good place to be. You do have to adapt. Get your passport and take a vacation Rosie, The next 200 miles of river is going to be spectacular.

Dan
Old 14-11-2010, 13:29   #75
Eternal Member

Of the people I have talked to one of the hardest things is knowing when to cut your shore ties.....just go.