Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2017, 11:20   #46

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Live aboard marina resource? Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Active Captain may not show you if a given marina allows liveaboards. ...............
While this is true, Active Captain does show the phone number, email address and website. Finding out about the liveaboard is pretty simple with that information.

Sometimes we have to do a little work ourselves.
Old 12-03-2017, 14:22   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureStories View Post
Doesn't Norfolk VA have a pretty big airport? Also there are a lot of airports in the DMV (DC Maryland Virginia) area. And the sailing is fun around here. Blue water is a hike but the bay is great. You get some seasons too (don't know if that's a factor for you but I like watching leaves change)

Have you reconsidered your original boat option yet? Lots of great 3 cabin boats out there that draw under 5' making cruising much more manageable.
Yes we have considered the James River area as my wife has family there. There are several great airports as well. We are all over the place boat shopping now. We are headed to FLL to look with a broker if we can get out on MEMPHIS.
Jetmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 14:26   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Z View Post
To clearify, shalimar marina, near ft walton fl. is $11. per foot $50 for elec. $100. liveaboard fee , 30 minutes from gulf46' bridge clearance, 25-30 min. to airport
46' may prove difficult.
Old 06-05-2017, 14:27   #49

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmex View Post
Thanks, We have considered Tampa area but haven't pinpointed a marina... Considering Savannah, Jax, and Daytona areas. They all have good commercial flights and close to what ever for the time being.
Doesn't sound like budget is a huge factor, but insurance is twice as high for my boat in Florida as it would be for my boat across the border into Georgia (BoatUS ins.)
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:38   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
................. Both Daytona and Jacksonville are over an hour from blue water. .........................
There is another important factor in the choice that seems to be overlooked. When we were selecting Florida "homeport" marinas many years ago we looked for ocean access by a good inlet as well as quick access to immediate sailing in protected water. It's important for us to be able to ease off the dock for an afternoon or moonlight sail for a few hours after work. We never wanted all of our sailing to require big preparation for a long passage.

Places like Saint Augustine, Daytona, Fort Lauderdale, Naples, and Clearwater don't offer this option. I's the St. Johns River (Jacksonville), Indian River (Titusville to St. Lucie Inlet), Biscayne Bay (Miami), Bayside in the Keys (Upper Keys), Fort Myers Beach (Inside Point Ybel), Tampa Bay, and Pensacola Bay that offers this option.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:25   #51

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
There is another important factor in the choice that seems to be overlooked. When we were selecting Florida "homeport" marinas many years ago we looked for ocean access by a good inlet as well as quick access to immediate sailing in protected water. It's important for us to be able to ease off the dock for an afternoon or moonlight sail for a few hours after work. We never wanted all of our sailing to require big preparation for a long passage.

Places like Saint Augustine, Daytona, Fort Lauderdale, Naples, and Clearwater don't offer this option. I's the St. Johns River (Jacksonville), Indian River (Titusville to St. Lucie Inlet), Biscayne Bay (Miami), Bayside in the Keys (Upper Keys), Fort Myers Beach (Inside Point Ybel), Tampa Bay, and Pensacola Bay that offers this option.
With Clearwater it's just a short ride to the Gulf & unless there's a front coming through you can pretty much go sailing anytime you want.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 22:18   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
Doesn't sound like budget is a huge factor, but insurance is twice as high for my boat in Florida as it would be for my boat across the border into Georgia (BoatUS ins.)
Budget is always a factor, but thanks for the input.