Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2013, 06:04   #1

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Live Aboard Marinas in St. Petersburg or Western Florida?

Lori and I are thinking about spending the summer in Western Florida, probably St. Peterburg.

Can anyone tell me if there are available live board slips in St. Pete or along western Florida?

Is it difficult to find them?

Thanks in Advance!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 06:18   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Live Aboard Marinas in St. Petersburg or Western Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Lori and I are thinking about spending the summer in Western Florida, probably St. Peterburg.

Can anyone tell me if there are available live board slips in St. Pete or along western Florida?

Is it difficult to find them?

Thanks in Advance!
Tom--

There are several marinas in south St. Pete that permit live aboard and do have slips. One of the nicest is the Harborage where we have friends. There are also a couple of good marinas on the Manatee River in Bradenton that do also. If you click over to Activecaptain.com and register (free) you'll be able to see all of what's availalbe and read the reviews contributed by ohter cruisers, which are very worth while. It's a lovely area with good local cruising. Youll enjoy it.

svHyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 06:38   #3

Boat: O'Day 302

The Harborage is definitely nice with pool and dining on site. The Municipal Marina is also very good. These will all have spaces for you.

Are you set on St Petersburg proper? Its a great place, and thats where I live (not aboard). But the beaches... The BEACHES... If you want to get out and explore all of the awesome islands on the Gulf Coast here, downtown St Pete is slightly inconvenient. Have you considered somewhere closer to the gulf, off the ICW?
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 07:15   #4

Boat: Sabre 42

I have friends who live aboard at Demon's Landing in downtown St. Petersburg. The rates are reasonable (for Florida) but I don't remember the exact fee. They managed to talk the manager into paying the non-liveaboard rate since they're not there every night. For downtown St. Pete, it's an excellent location.

+1 on the beaches! They're about a 15 minute drive from downtown and there are a couple of marinas on the ICW and Boca Ciega Bay close to the beach. For example, Blind Pass Marina is a 5 minute walk to Sunset Beach.

It's a trade off. Downtown, you're right on the bay with great sailing just outside the breakwater plus nightlife. The beaches are more quiet (except during spring break) and you might need to pass through 2 draw bridges to get from a marina to the Gulf.

Either way, St. Pete is a great place to spend some sailboat time! Best of luck.

Tags
florida, marinas