Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 14:25   #1

Live aboard rental in Naples FL

Hello all,
My husband and I may be moving to Naples, FL in June. Before we invest in a live aboard, we'd like to try out the idea. Does anyone know of any agencies that rent out any type of live aboards? Or is this just something we'd just have to ask around about? I'm running into brick walls. Thanks so much.
Tanya
thkimbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Live aboard rental in Naples FL

Most boats have plumbing and electrical systems that are more complex than what people living in houses are accustomed to operating. Those that own boats in which they are living normally don't have flexible space to accommodate others aboard when they are away. In addition, Naples, Florida is a very wealthy town and those with houses and boats are not usually seeking rental income. Vacation charters may be available, but these are at high rates.

This topic has come up before and few people find boats available to experience living aboard. ....'good luck with your search!
Old 01-03-2017, 05:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tanya.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I think Hudson Force summarized the situation pretty well. Not saying it never happens but it's very rare. Renting a boat vs a house or apartment just involves a lot more risk to the landlord. Hard to sink a house and harder to steal one and sail it away to parts unknown.

And, in addition to renting a boat with new, different and possible complicated (at least to the uninitiated) plumbing, electrical and other systems there is the question of insurance.

Guess you can see why there's just not a big market for renting out one's boat. However, I have seen a few mentions of boat renting on Air BnB. You might check there just in case.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

This comes up often enough that you would think it's a Business opportunity for someone?

When I was in Key West this Summer I overheard a couple of people talking about renting their boats out for pretty high prices considering that they were anchored out and maybe not the best, newest examples of a boat.
I feel certain though that they were doing it under the Radar and did not meet insurance and other requirements. I don't know that of course just it is my belief.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:23   #6

Airbnb.com has some short term rentals. Not sure about anything long term.
gus110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:25   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Try Airbnb, some people rent out their boats on that's site.
https://www.airbnb.com/s/United-Stat...verride%5B%5D=
Old 01-03-2017, 08:39   #8

Friends rented a 43ft fly bridge fisherman. -- at the dock only usage -- through the VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner). Think it was Key West though.....
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:48   #9

Boat: Macgregor, 26X, 26'

Try vacation rentals Craigslist. it is pretty common in the Keys but only stationary at dock rentals and rates are comparable to other vacation rentals.
Jimmy4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 13:14   #10

Boat: Selene 43 Ocean Trawler

Hi TH,

I completely agree with the respondents, but something that you might consider (and I have done while traveling on business) are "Boat & Breakfast" enterprises.

I've used one in Jack London Square (Oakland) in the distant past - not sure if they are still in existence - but there was a vendor at one of the recent in-water San Diego boat shows:

Boat BNB - Boat Bed & Breakfast

Rent one of their boats for a week or two (we call that "vacation") and see if you like it.

ATBster
M/V Moondance
ATBster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 17:41   #11

Boat: 2004 Carolina Skiff 2180; Hobie 16, Laser, Club 420

This topic is timely - I was just considering the same thing in Charleston, SC. I thought about trying to retire there soon but then checked out the housing cost; insane. So I checked slip fees - approximately $500 a month. Anyway I was going to seek out a boat rental option there to try out the town and the water scene. Only thing I have seen so far was crazy expensive for the boat at the dock and they required you to pay extra for minimum required day sailing time. I think the base price was $350 a night before the sailing fee.
btexpres85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 18:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkimbrough View Post
Hello all,
My husband and I may be moving to Naples, FL in June. Before we invest in a live aboard, we'd like to try out the idea. Does anyone know of any agencies that rent out any type of live aboards? Or is this just something we'd just have to ask around about? I'm running into brick walls. Thanks so much.
Tanya
As you're already finding, boat rentals are steep if even available. Regardless of where you are, maybe go on a charter for a week or two?

There are also predictors for cruising/liveaboard success- do you like camping or RVing? Think of that as landcruising (actually many of our sailing friends also enjoy camping/RVing.)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:49   #13

Boat: Fisher, Northeaster, 30'

We had a good experience with this sail school and lived abroad the teaching sail boat (at little if any extra cost to the school fee)Emerald Coast Sailing - Beginner to Advanced Sailing Classes and Charters
Raymond & Robin
Bobby Glenn m/s
panama City,Fl
Bobby Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 18:52   #14

Hi,
I live and boat in Naples. It is nearly impossible to find a slip here. I have a 36' Catalina and my first slip was 30 miles North in Ft. Meyers Beach, because there was nothing closer to Naples. Took four years to get her here. As to living on a boat here it may be next to impossible. There are no mooring fields and no marina I know of will allow live aboard. A great many frown on overnight stays. Most likely you may have to rent a spot behind a private home. I am not sure that you can live aboard even then. If you do find a slip or spot, expect to pay a huge amount to rent the space. Not trying to discourage you, that is just how it is here. Finally I do not know why you have chosen Naples, but the cost of living is high here. Just the way it is.
cpawas is offline   Reply With Quote