Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2012, 18:40   #1

Location: I live in Warrenton, GA and sail s/v CaiLeigh Anna out of St. Simons Island, GA
Boat: Catalina 34
Live-Aboards Now Welcome in Georgia!

Georgia has long been known as a state "not friendly" for long term live-aboard boaters, but all that has changed with adoption of a new rule by the Department of Natural Resources Coastal Resource Division.

Now boaters can legally stay up to 90 days without submitting any paperwork. Live-aboards wanting to stay longer can fill out a simple one page application at certified marinas and stay without any additional fee. And the application is free!

The new live-aboard rule sends a clear message that Georgia has shed its black-eye status associated with the restrictive policy of the past 20 years and is ready to back up the claim that this is a boat friendly state. Live-aboard owners need to be aware that DNR’s Coastal Resource Division and the certified marinas are very serious about preserving the fragile coastal environment and Georgia’s treasured barrier islands and will strictly enforce the no discharge law.

More information can be obtained at Georgia Department of Natural Resources Coastal Resource Division web site for Extension of Live-Aboard Privileges or by contacting certified marinas. Live-Aboard Extensions | Coastal Resources Division, Georgia Department of Natural Resources

Currently there are five of Georgia’s 30 marinas with unlimited pump out capacity. They are Morningstar Marina at Golden Isles at St. Simon’s Island, Jekyll Harbor Marina on Jekyll Island, Brunswick Landing Marina in Brunswick, Bull River Marina and Isle of Hope Marina in Savannah.
Hugh17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 02:41   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
Re: Live-Aboards Now Welcome in Georgia!

Can put Ga. back on list,left once over that.
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 13:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

What are slip/mooring fees like?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 17:45   #4

Location: I live in Warrenton, GA and sail s/v CaiLeigh Anna out of St. Simons Island, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
What are slip/mooring fees like?
Slip fees run from $10.50 to $12.50 for annual contracts depending on the marina. Some marinas are offering specials of month to month at annual rates. I know of one marina that is charging $75 a month extra for live-aboards, but I understand that it is costing them business and that boats are leaving for marinas that do not charge extra.

I've listed the marinas in my original post that are certified for long term live-aboard. All have web sites so I suggest that you contact them directly. I personally feel that Morningstar Marina at Golden Isles located on St. Simon's Island is the best choice. The manager, Chris Ferguson, will do everything in his power to accommodate his customers.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how the marinas are filling up since the law and rules about live-aboards changed. I expect the available marinas to be at capacity soon.
Old 29-06-2012, 09:04   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sounds like somebody in Georgia said "Dang, all them folks getting throwed out of FloriDUH need a new place to spend their money! Howsabout we help 'em out here?"

Southern hospitality at it's finest. Works for me!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 09:44   #6

I dunno... I've never had to ask 'permission' from the state to live somewhere. I think relative to their old policy it might be better, but it's far from being liveaboard 'friendly'

Friendly would be something akin to 'tenant's rights' making it hard to evict without cause.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 09:56   #7

Hmmm...an improvement for sure and great for people who like marinas. But some of us don't like being confined and packed into a marina with neighbors only a few feet away, no breeze, bugs, rats, etc.! Too much like a trailer park for us! We anchor. Despite Florida's bad rap lately this is WAY MORE restrictive than Florida, at least until July 2014 when we may get a statewide law based on the Pilot Program. For now you can anchor anywhere in Florida you want with no restrictions except in the five Pilot Program cities/counties.

So for now Georgia is not cruiser friendly (marina liveaboard friendly, yes) unless you are just passing through and don't want to live there in a marina. We found the people friendly and the hospitality great when we passed through.
Downtothesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

It's the economy, stupid.

... And if it ever improves, you'll start hearing again how we're all scum.
Old 29-06-2012, 15:28   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Is this the same Georgia that is quoted in another thread as having busted some folks drifting down a river in innertubes for BUI?? Does this imply that these legal liveaboards will not be allowed to imbibe whilst living aboard?

Probably not really an issue, and I'm glad to see such an improvement in attitude -- even if it shouldn't be an issue at all! It would be nice if the folks here in Australia could follow suit...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 30-06-2012, 10:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sounds like somebody in Georgia said "Dang, all them folks getting throwed out of FloriDUH need a new place to spend their money! Howsabout we help 'em out here?"

Southern hospitality at it's finest. Works for me!
Actually, the initiative to change the rule came from the Georgia Marina Managers Association. Starting about two years ago GMMA started a dialog with the Department of Natural Resources Coastal Resource Division and convince them that living aboard a vessel and discharging were separate issues. Since GA already has a no discharge law within 3 miles there should not be a discharge issue with live-aboards. DNR agreed with the argument and changed the rule dependent on the marina having sufficient capacity to pump the holding tanks of vessels.

While others may argue that they don't want the state telling them where or what they can do, the reality in GA is that non-regulation was abused by irresponsible people living on barges tied along the river banks. These people dumped human waste, garbage, and oil into the rivers and many simple abandoned vessels and allowed them to sink. Even to this day over 200 sunken barges/vessels remain in the Altamaha River as a result of no regulations.

The only way the environment will be protected for all us to enjoy is to have reasonable rules. I feel that GA's change of attitude with enough restrictions to stop uncontrollable abuse will work fine. One thing is for sure, the marinas and people along the 100 mile GA coast are friendly and inviting. I hope anyone traveling north or south along the coast or ICW will give us a chance.

Tags
georgia