Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2012, 06:46   #136

Re: Liveaboard anchoring.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
Is there some kind of GPS app that can broadcast a signal to a phone or something if you move to far from your point of origin?
one solution is a GSM GPS anti-theft vehicle tracker which supports geofencing and are available for less than USD100. I have this one GPS + Dualband GSM Realtime Spy/Anti-Theft Vehicle Tracker - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
which sends a text message to my phone whenever boat moves outside of configurable radius from last position. It also can send a text message via an external trigger, e.g. when engine start or bilge alarm sets. I can also send a text message to it and it replies with current GPS co-ordinates...
stara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 09:15   #137

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Liveaboard Anchoring .......

Our anchor alarm might alarm you. We only use it when we suspect were not well in. I have a diving weight attached to a length of nylon line wound round a wooden reel. We anchor, we set, when we get into bed, I chuck the diving weight out of the hatch into the water, let out a few metres more, then tie a slipknot around my big toe. If we drag, I will wake up wondering why I am heading foot first to the hatch.

You can get GSM enabled home alarm systems that will send you a SMS for of any of 1,2,3 or more alarm inputs. Float switch in bilge, or even a weight system like above triggering a switch, intruder, and smoke....(just keep the account topped up)

I once saw a guy who had a strain guage in his snubber, he backed down by engine to say 500 Kgs or 1000, whatever, then when the squalls came he would just look at the guage and say, OK, we know were good to 500 and its pulling 230, go back to sleep.

Just some ideas....

Tags
anchor, anchoring, liveaboard