Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2022, 06:31   #1

Liveaboard Help in Toronto

Hi,

I am in the process of competing a boat purchase in Toronto. I plan to liveaboard year round. I have a place at a marina but am looking for help and advice with shrinkwrapping and what to winterize and not winterize.

Can anyone recommend a person or company that can help me with this?

Thanks,

Matt
MatthewJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:06   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Liveaboard Help in Toronto

They closed two. Property sold. There is non on the island because of emergency services access. I think bluffers park. If all else fails call The sailing instructor Andy at the QCYC. He lives aboard and is a charming man who may offer advise.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:32   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewJoseph View Post
Hi,

I am in the process of competing a boat purchase in Toronto. I plan to liveaboard year round. I have a place at a marina but am looking for help and advice with shrinkwrapping and what to winterize and not winterize.

Thanks,

Matt
If you have a Marina that you can stay at over the winter as a liveaboard, you've already past the hardest hurdle!!

As far as shrink wrap. If your marina allows it go with clear. Creates a greenhouse effect. We often had days in the middle of Jan where we had to leave the door open to cool down!

as far as winterizing, definitely do the engine with the -100c stuff and winterize any system you don't plan to use over the winter. I used to leave the water and sewage as they were in constant use.

What is your heating situation? All electric has its hazards ( cooked shore power cords) if you pull too much current

most marina's no longer provide bobbling so you will have to provide your own ice eater. bigger is better here!

Will you be 100% floating or potentially in the mud a bit with your keel? I spent one winter out at the end of a dock because i wanted to be floating 100% really sucked as it was exposed!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:47   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I made a friend price out an apartment for the winter vs the cost of the bubblers bagging storing the bagging for the summer, utilities, mildew fighters, etc. but Toronto so the boat won by 80$ a month. I think heating is up to 400$ a month if electric. It’s more than my gas bill for a house
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
If you have a Marina that you can stay at over the winter as a liveaboard, you've already past the hardest hurdle!!

As far as shrink wrap. If your marina allows it go with clear. Creates a greenhouse effect. We often had days in the middle of Jan where we had to leave the door open to cool down!

as far as winterizing, definitely do the engine with the -100c stuff and winterize any system you don't plan to use over the winter. I used to leave the water and sewage as they were in constant use.

What is your heating situation? All electric has its hazards ( cooked shore power cords) if you pull too much current

most marina's no longer provide bobbling so you will have to provide your own ice eater. bigger is better here!

Will you be 100% floating or potentially in the mud a bit with your keel? I spent one winter out at the end of a dock because i wanted to be floating 100% really sucked as it was exposed!
Thanks for responding. The marina rents bubblers so that should be okay. They group everybody together for the winter but it's a pretty deep harbour so I think we will all be floating. This place allows clear shrink wrap so that is the plan but I don't have a frame or the equipment to do it so I am looking for someone I can hire to do it or at least help. The boat has reverse cycle heat that I can use for a bit but I know the water will be too cold. I'm looking at electric or possibly having something diesel installed. I'm hoping to keep using the water system on the boat but know the cockpit shower will need to be closed off somehow.

I know most of what I need and want to do, I'm just a rookie with boats this big so in looking to hire so e help for this year so I don't screw up.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:13   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Matt
Lived aboard in GTA Since 94' including some winters when not cruising south. Currently in VA, Bahamas bound.

The following places have liveaboards ...
Royal Hamilton Yacht Club
Port Credit Yacht Club
Bluffers Park Marina
Lakeshore Yacht Club
Mimico Cruising Club
Etobicoke Yacht Club
Pickering Marina
Cathedral Bluffs Yacht Club used to but not sure about now.
Port Credit Harbour has some but that marina may only have a cou[ple of years before it's closed for development.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:47   #7

Boat: 50' navy utility trawler conversion

Which marina are you going to? There will be a community of boaters there, they can usually offer advice and assistance.

I'm planning to winter at Marina Quay West this year.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:51   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Which marina are you going to? There will be a community of boaters there, they can usually offer advice and assistance.

Jeff, are they letting liveaboards back in there ? Didn't they kick them out
2 yrs ago ? Something about major construction ?
Old 07-10-2022, 12:24   #9

Quote:

Port Credit. Will maybe move to a club in the spring but it's the closest to work I could find. Downtown would be a long commute back out for work.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Jeff, are they letting liveaboards back in there ? Didn't they kick them out

2 yrs ago ? Something about major construction ?
They kicked winter tenants out of Marina Four, and most of them went to Marina Quay West. I think they reopened last winter, but haven't been around.

Old 07-10-2022, 15:42   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
They kicked winter tenants out of Marina Four, and most of them went to Marina Quay West. I think they reopened last winter, but haven't been around.

Good news, thanks
Old 12-10-2022, 13:20   #12

Quote:

I know most of what I need and want to do, I'm just a rookie with boats this big so in looking to hire so e help for this year so I don't screw up.
Sounds like you're on the right track. Electric will work if you have sufficient power at the dock.

Shrink wrapping isn't that difficult, and you can rent or borrow a torch. If you're planning to do this long term it's worth learning.

What kind of boat do you have?

Old 12-10-2022, 15:10   #13

Quote:
Sounds like you're on the right track. Electric will work if you have sufficient power at the dock.

Shrink wrapping isn't that difficult, and you can rent or borrow a torch. If you're planning to do this long term it's worth learning.

What kind of boat do you have?

I have an offer accepted on a 2003 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35. Just subject to a survey now.

Matt
Old 21-10-2022, 21:37   #14

I am closing on the boat this weekend. I am planning to build a frame out of PVC conduit but still need help shrinkwrapping. Anyone out there to help? Is it better to have the mast and boom on or off for the winter?
Old 22-10-2022, 06:59   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
I am closing on the boat this weekend. I am planning to build a frame out of PVC conduit but still need help shrinkwrapping. Anyone out there to help? Is it better to have the mast and boom on or off for the winter?

Being in the water, mast up/down won't really matter. I'd do it whichever way is more practical to cover the boat. Mast down will be easier to get watertight, but you have the expense of pulling the mast if you didn't otherwise need to. Mast up means you can use the boom as part of your shrink wrap support frame in some cases.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard