Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 23:06   #16

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Wreckoning, I know what you are trying to say/ask, and I understand completely. You just want to know, what would be a good all-around choice of boat, that would fit your needs. Here is a good link to help answer some of your questions, and a little education to study up on Boats & Rigging

Some non-bikers dont understand that motorcycles have souls too!
Bash, if I had to explain it to you...you still wouldnt understand.

Wreckoning, best wishes to you in your quest. I was just like you once, and I figured out my way. As said, ya need to bone up on sailing through alot of information available online. This forum, is my favorite, loads of info here if you take the time to read, as I have read nearly every posting here for the pure educational value.
Regards
BlackOak
Biker...Sailor...Pilot
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 23:17   #17

You might also want to check out the books by Jerome Fitzgerald...."Wind and Tide", "Sea Steading" and "Sailing With Purpose" When he wrote these he lived aboard in the Vancouver area and has good ideas on how to live aboard comfortably and cruise in that climate.

Bob

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
relee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 23:55   #18

Feel free to check out our blog; we've been living aboard for a few years.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 11:09   #19

Boat: Buchan 37 - Trickster
Do it! (with lots of caution)

I think that it is better to regret doing something, than to regret not doing it. But I have some warning to give. First off I agree, there is value in almost everything that has been said. In addition I would like to add that the two biggest problems that have not been stressed enough yet are: 1) Live aboard moorages in Vancouver are very hard to find (and pricey). You can live aboard on the hook, but this adds a whole additional complication, and for your situation is not realistic. 2) Thinking that it will be cheaper than paying rent is completely inaccurate. Boat maintenance, live aboard fees, and heating costs will quickly add up. For the same price, you could get a small basement sublet that will feel like a mansion in comparison to a 27 foot boat.
If you want to do this I encourage you, but you must be doing it for the right reasons and saving money is not one of them.
AWindSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 11:47   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhyte View Post
this is a list of off shore sail boat you could start with . Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction .good luck with your plans
scott this is a boat i looked at last week it could do what your asking however the deck need http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...680847794.html work it at the vancouver yatch club
That list has always struck me as weird. It doesn't include the Tayana 37, more of which are reputed to be sailing the 7 Seas than any other brand/make.

Tags
liveaboard