Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2008, 16:51   #16

Location: On my boat, or in my truck, depends on the time of year,
Boat: Catalina 27, "Madd Lobsterr"
I called the harbour up there, and the lady who answered told me to get on the internet and look it up, lol thanks...

The best I could find on there webpage was something to the tune of 1170 dollars a month, plus a few other fees for parking..and this and that. I know it's expensive up there..but damn!

I think I may end up leaving it here in NC, and if I like it up there, I'll come back and get my boat in a few months.

I hate that thought..but it looks like the best altogether.
diverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 17:52   #17

Boat: Island Packet 35 #81
AK live aboard

I lived in Alaska for brief periods of time when I was in my 20's. It cost a lot of money to live and move around up there.

Here is the piece of advice I give to everyone going to live in AK the first time. Take some extra money and give it to a relative you trust. When you are broke and just want to get your rearend out have them buy you a ticket home.

I saw a fair amount of people run into trouble, could not get out or afford to live there.

My two cents worth.

DW
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:16   #18

Boat: Hylas 49
Liveaboards Welcome in Most Alaska Harbors

I liveaboard in Juneau, Alaska. I am the Port Director for Juneau and am responsible for running Juneau's harbors. I am also the President of the Alaska Association of Harbormasters and Port Administrators, an organization comprised of thirty municipal harbor entities.

Nearly all harbors (marinas) in Alaska are public and are run by local governments. Overall we have very good harbor infrastructure. Our harbor rates are very low compared to the rest of the US. For example, we charge $3.42 per foot per month in Juneau. We are on the higher end of the rate scale in Alaska.

We welcome liveaboards in Juneau and you will find that most of the Alaska harbor jurisdictions have the same philosophy. I currently have about 125 liveaboard vessels in my harbor system, about 8% of the vessels in the water this winter.

Liveaboards are most common in Southeast Alaska. From Prince William Sound on north, it is just too cold to liveaboard. For example, most of this week the temperature has been close to zero F at night. Up north it has been below zero.

My harbors are designed with winter freeze proof potable water systems. The practical limit for these systems is about what we have been experiencing this week. Potable water becomes the limiting factor. Obviously, heating the boat and preventing condensation is a major issue too.

Because of my work, I am familiar with liveaboard philosophy throughout the US and I believe that Alaska is very pro-liveaboard compared to other areas of US.

I would be happy to talk with anyone interested in moving or visiting up here. We have plenty of slips, some of the best coastline in the world, and great fishing and wildlife viewing.
Seychelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:07   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seychelles View Post
I liveaboard in Juneau, Alaska. I am the Port Director for Juneau and am responsible for running Juneau's harbors. I am also the President of the Alaska Association of Harbormasters and Port Administrators, an organization comprised of thirty municipal harbor entities...
I think we may have discovered a true authority on the subject!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 21:15   #20

Boat: looking
I worked five years in Alaska on ships from 48' to 160' and from Norton Sound to Ketchikan. I have never lived up there on a pleasure boat but have lived on fishing boats. Most of the Marinas are pretty user friendly. As far as the weather SE Alaska is much like Seattle very wet.
wlanphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:15   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I never lived on my boat there but the pics seem appropriate for the thread.

Actualy the igloo is not in Alaska...but hey, it works.

I am from Alaska and can tell you that the people are wonderful and still very much have the pioneer spirit (very suited to the live aboard mentality).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	name.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	7281   Click image for larger version

Name:	igloo Lebanon.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	7282  

James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 14:22   #22

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44-Blue Note
Smile

I've been a liveaboard in Valdez Small Boat Harbor for 8 years now. Seychelles' info is right on with the exception that there are a fair number of us living aboard west of Southeast during the winter.

I had a good laugh at some of the responses in this thread. Wooden boats require a huge amount of maintenance in this climate. Far better to insulate a FG or metallic boat. And the idea of a baseball bat as a necessary piece of equipment was good for a chuckle too.

Rates here in Valdez are some of the least expensive on the west coast. Transient slips go for $8.75 per foot per month. Every slip has water and electricity and most have telephone and cable TV. There is a liveaboard charge in addition to the slip fee.

It would be quite an adventure to sail a Catalina 27 to Juneau from North Carolina. I don't know the east coast but the west coast would not be easy coming north. I think a better option would be to sell it there and fly to the Puget Sound area and buy another. From there it is a pleasant trip north to Juneau in the sailing season. Good luck!
alaska pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:35   #23

Boat: s/v Annapurna (Contessa 26)
I've spent about 7 months living on a boat crusing SE Alaska, but only during summer. It was lovely. I couldn't imagine living full-time there though, summers wouldn't be bad, but winter you'd probably need crampons just to walk down the dock . I liveaboard in the Pacific Northwest, and that's farther north than I'd ever want to liveaboard! Good luck to you.
Philosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 17:47   #24

Boat: Harborcraft Kingfisher 28'
Oh, good grief, look at Cordova! Very easy access to the harbor, very friendly community, nice harbor with lots of room and not as expensive ..... we have a slip year round for our 28' Harborcraft Kingfisher for less than $1K a YEAR. The only dicing months are in the winter, but they still have running water to fill up, and they offer cable, electricity and phone connections. And did I mention that it's a beautiful location? Cordova is ice-free year round, harbormaster can be reached at 907-424-6400 during regular business hours. We even have a ski area! And great snowshoeing, kayaking, small time charm, Alaska style! We can't address sailing, but facilities are at least GOOD. The harbor is mostly full of commercial fishermen who leave in the fall and return in the summer. Not many "pukers" or sailboats, some "house" boats... very friendly environment.
Gary & Leanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, liveaboard