Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2021, 15:59   #1

Liveaboard in Baltimore in Winter

Hi all! I'm thinking of sailing from Vermont to Baltimore at the end of next November (?) so that I can continue to live aboard my boat throughout the winter. I have never been to Baltimore and I have never lived aboard in the winter.

Is end of November an okay time to make that sail (NYC-->Baltimore), I know that's the end of hurricane season. Am I better waiting until the beginning of December?

I'm also aware that I'll need a heater in my boat, I have a propane one that I don't love so I'm looking for suggestions on that front! Also any other advice is welcomed.

Cheers
Obrien1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 16:08   #2

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Liveaboard in Baltimore in Winter

I sailed from NY to Chessy in mid-November. I was very cold in my open cockpit. Cold enough I would go to pretty big lengths not to do that again. If you have a cockpit enclosure you might be good. I wouldn't worry much about hurricane season. They're fairly rare that far North, and the trip isn't so long that one will appear out of nowhere while you're out. If the forecast looks clear, when you leave NYC, it's only a couple days to Baltimore, so easy to plan for weather.
Old 31-03-2021, 18:23   #3
JKP

Boat: In 15 years hopefully a Lagoon 44

Look at BMC in Canton (downtown Baltimore). Staying there includes access to gym and pool during summer. It is walking distance to great food, social scenes, West Marine, and grocery store.
JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 18:56   #4

Reference to average high and lows.

But not that there are much colder days than the average days.

Warmer than Vermont. And warmer than Montana.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...timore/climate

How Often Baltimore Has Cold Temperatures
The coldest winter nights at Baltimore get down to 0 °F (-18 °C) or less. But temperatures that low are rare, happening on average just once every three years.

Baltimore typically has 13 days a year when the temperature never rises above freezing. Frosty days can occur anytime from November to March, but are most common in January.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 19:15   #5

If you have lived aboard a boat in cold climates then you know that it is challenging to remain warm, dry and cozy. Cold surfaces tend to condensate water vapor and / or frost which makes for a damp and cold interior.

You will need ample shore power for electric heating and I recommend using a dehumidifier to control indoor relative humidity to below 40%.

If you can use inductive cooking stove that will remove a large source of water vapor from burning combustible gas and also avoids CO2 build up which can be very dramatic in an enclosed space such as a boat cabin that does not have a continuous fresh air ventilation entrainment. Always leave cracked open a porthole to avail some fresh air.

Propane combustion equation:

Propane + Oxygen → Carbon Dioxide + Water + Heat (about 25 MJ/litre or 49 MJ/kg)

C3H8 + 5 O2 → 3 CO2 + 4 H2O + Heat

All the best.
Old 31-03-2021, 19:22   #6

Boat: Adams 45

I used a diesel heater last November and December on the Chesapeake, near Baltimore, for a week or two at a time. Depending on how much boat you need to heat you might need better distribution, but I got by with a couple of fans spreading the heat. The previous owner of my boat spent a winter living on the Chesapeake. He found that electric heat got expensive pretty quickly and the diesel was adequate and a lot more economical. Depends how warm you want to be. It's easy to keep one cabin quite pleasant, but harder if you want physically separated cabins at house temperatures. If you're from Vermont, I'm guessing you're used to a lot colder weather than Baltimore.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 20:35   #7

Boat: Hylas 54

November is a bit late in the season, I'd try to make the trip in October if possible. There's a marina in Canton that might work for you.

Good luck, Bmore can be a great town.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 20:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
I used a diesel heater last November and December on the Chesapeake, near Baltimore, for a week or two at a time. Depending on how much boat you need to heat you might need better distribution, but I got by with a couple of fans spreading the heat. The previous owner of my boat spent a winter living on the Chesapeake. He found that electric heat got expensive pretty quickly and the diesel was adequate and a lot more economical. Depends how warm you want to be. It's easy to keep one cabin quite pleasant, but harder if you want physically separated cabins at house temperatures. If you're from Vermont, I'm guessing you're used to a lot colder weather than Baltimore.
Diesel heaters are excellent, one just needs to have them installed properly with a chimney, air inlet and heat shields.

https://boats-from.co.uk/sites/defau...208-293218.jpg

https://www.boatownersworld.com/dick...er-00-new.html
Old 01-04-2021, 05:33   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrien1234 View Post
Hi all! I'm thinking of sailing from Vermont to Baltimore at the end of next November (?) so that I can continue to live aboard my boat throughout the winter. I have never been to Baltimore and I have never lived aboard in the winter.

There are a boatload of threads about living aboard in Maryland and specifically about living aboard Bal'mer... so you might search those out, too, and have a good read...

New info here on a new thread can be more current, but then too many of those other threads have been comprehensive, may touch on something not mentioned here...

Key points: heat, fresh water, waste disposal...

-Chris
Old 01-04-2021, 15:27   #10

Boat: Baba 40

Lived aboard a 32’ sailboat in Annapolis for a few years, one of which the harbor froze up for weeks. Had one of those oil filled radiator type heaters in the cabin and a little ceramic heater I could move around. Worst part? The morning run to the shower and back!

Agree that a November trip might be a tad uncomfortable. Go sooner if you can.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 15:37   #11

being a west coaster... bc.... we have our share of cold wet... I bought a dickenson oil stove which proved beyond adequate.... there are also a couple of wood burners on the market.... a friend bought the dickenson bulkhead mounted heater which worked wonders...
I'll have to look at baltimore winters... does it snow there
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 15:54   #12

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrien1234 View Post
...........I'm also aware that I'll need a heater in my boat, I have a propane one that I don't love so I'm looking for suggestions on that front!..................
Recommend a diesel heater installed in the aft lazarette. I have a International Thermal Research Hurricane on my 50 ft powerboat that can heat up the entire boat quickly and maintain temperature. For my 46 ft sailboat I was planning a Espar but you can also install a Wallas, Webasto or Planar all in an aft lazarette.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 16:05   #13

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds

Check out anchorage marina canton Baltimore. Lots of livaboards great parking. 24 hr grocery across the road west marine 5 minute walk. I love it here.
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 23:56   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
If you have lived aboard a boat in cold climates then you know that it is challenging to remain warm, dry and cozy. Cold surfaces tend to condensate water vapor and / or frost which makes for a damp and cold interior.

You will need ample shore power for electric heating and I recommend using a dehumidifier to control indoor relative humidity to below 40%.

If you can use inductive cooking stove that will remove a large source of water vapor from burning combustible gas and also avoids CO2 build up which can be very dramatic in an enclosed space such as a boat cabin that does not have a continuous fresh air ventilation entrainment. Always leave cracked open a porthole to avail some fresh air.

Propane combustion equation:

Propane + Oxygen → Carbon Dioxide + Water + Heat (about 25 MJ/litre or 49 MJ/kg)

C3H8 + 5 O2 → 3 CO2 + 4 H2O + Heat

All the best.
But: 18E - 25 + 12BC/16 * 0.3652768 → +1.236472
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:06   #15

Hey O'Brien,

Here's an excellent thread from December 2020 about cold weather sailing:

Tips for Long Term Winter Sailing
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-243260.html

As you can see from KelseyB's latest crew request, she made it down to Florida and is now prepping to make the passage back north soon.

Fair winds!
LittleWing77

P.S. Personally, I would avoid Baltimore... when I was there a couple of years ago looking at boats, I got the impression that it's a high crime city. Lots of nicer marinas and people across the bridge on the Western shore of Delaware in places like Rock Hall, DE - which I loved! (Please, All, This was only my personal impression... I mean no offense to people who are Baltimore-based.)
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, liveaboard