Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2023, 22:09   #61

Boat: Trophy 2359
Re: Liveaboard in Thailand?

Oh.. thank you. Yes my condo had the same thing and in fact they use them everywhere in Thailand. i was told that it is the law to have these but i do not know if this is truth. I can not stand the squat toilets and even living there for 4 years, i am proud to say that I have never used one.. If I "squatted" on one...I would not be able to stand back up !! I did buy one to bring back to Australia as they are such a smart idea and work exceptionally well. A smarted idea than dunny paper IMO
Cruising Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 05:45   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Roo View Post
Oh.. thank you. Yes my condo had the same thing and in fact they use them everywhere in Thailand. i was told that it is the law to have these but i do not know if this is truth. I can not stand the squat toilets and even living there for 4 years, i am proud to say that I have never used one.. If I "squatted" on one...I would not be able to stand back up !! I did buy one to bring back to Australia as they are such a smart idea and work exceptionally well. A smarted idea than dunny paper IMO
Even better for about $40USD you can get one that is built into the seat (easy to install). Twist a knob or turn a button and it does it's thing.

If you spend more, you can feel like Captain Kirk with a whole control panel.

I'm always amazed at how comfortable the Thais are squatting down. You will see ladies making street food just squatting down next to the wok for hours. As you say, I would basically have to fall over then climb back up to stand. Probably if you do it from the time you are a kid, the muscles adjust.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 05:53   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadly_dont_have View Post
Learn some Thai but don't let people know that you speak any. You will learn a lot by how open they will trash talk you to your face. It's common for them to laugh at you. It's not in a bad way its just more culturally accepted there so don't think about it.
I know far too little Thai but I can second the idea that they are comfortable saying things and do things that would shock people in the west...and as you say, there doesn't come across as mean or harsh.

Example: Massage ladies (regular not happy) will say and do things like ask your weight (or suggest what they think it is), say "oh my god, this one big. we need two ladies" or my favorite when I flip over half way thru so they can do the front side, she pokes my belly and makes the pilsbury dough boy giggle.

Back in the states, I would probably be offended. Here it's just Thailand. My wife laughs at me and we move on.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 20:52   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iains boatyard View Post
Living in Thailand is great easy and cheap.
Been in and out of Thailand for 8 years.
Contact the Thai Visa Center in Bangkok, Google it Grace is the lady’s name.
Are these the same people?

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-ne...g-fake-stamps/
JeremyRWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 02:36   #65

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

Yes and no
If you read correctly there were 2 Grace’s mentioned. The bad one was a previous employee apparently charged, what ever happened no idea.
The current Grace with whom a number of us were dealing with at the same time of that reporting and after is still there.

My current Visa renewed Jan 2023 is from Thai Visa centre, none of us had any issues with our Visa stamps, remember we have to do 90 day reporting so ample opportunities for Immigration to check for fraud.

So even though those allegations may have been correct it is not good to cast dispersions on the current staff. They did distance themselves at the time and it should be left there. IMHO.
Iains boatyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 03:10   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iains boatyard View Post
Yes and no
If you read correctly there were 2 Grace’s mentioned. The bad one was a previous employee apparently charged, what ever happened no idea.
The current Grace with whom a number of us were dealing with at the same time of that reporting and after is still there.

My current Visa renewed Jan 2023 is from Thai Visa centre, none of us had any issues with our Visa stamps, remember we have to do 90 day reporting so ample opportunities for Immigration to check for fraud.

So even though those allegations may have been correct it is not good to cast dispersions on the current staff. They did distance themselves at the time and it should be left there. IMHO.
Thanks for the background.
Gosh, what a nightmare for that company.
Thank you. Very helpful to know.
Jeremy
JeremyRWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 16:27   #67

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

To others scanning this post it needs to be noted the above allegations about Thai Visa Centre are nearly 3 years old.
There is nothing new here it is old new news.
Iains boatyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 00:41   #68

Hi guys, better to use a bidet seat, turn a knob and boom, no aiming required lol. Fits nearly every toilet i've seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bidet.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	276366  
davidkaleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 17:50   #69

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft

Great to see Port Takola in Krabi mentioned. A friend of mine got his boat in Indonesia still and will head that direction. No taxi boat service to Krabi town yet I see, but could that be done by dinghy and tying it to one of many docks in town?
I love the area and could easily see it as a main base to explore the West coast of Thailand and Malaysia from. Much prefer Krabi town to Phuket as well.
Old 15-09-2023, 18:00   #70

Just read your post.
What is the fee for yacht haven livaboard, boat is 35 ft? And is that possible to live aboard year around ?
Thank you.
Old 15-09-2023, 18:09   #71

Just read your post.
what is the fee for yacht haven livaboard l? And is that possible for year around ?
Thank you
Old 24-04-2024, 10:00   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.Sails View Post
Great to see Port Takola in Krabi mentioned. A friend of mine got his boat in Indonesia still and will head that direction. No taxi boat service to Krabi town yet I see, but could that be done by dinghy and tying it to one of many docks in town?
I love the area and could easily see it as a main base to explore the West coast of Thailand and Malaysia from. Much prefer Krabi town to Phuket as well.
I am also interested in the answer you your question except I was looking at the Krabi Boat Lagoon marina. A bit further but very nice unless I find a better option. I’m eagerly awaiting any feed back you’ll receive.
Oneday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, Thailand