Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2024, 06:46   #1

Liveaboard Maine

Hi - I'm relocating back to the US and would like to liveaboard while looking for a suitable home in Maine. I have a 40' Oyster which I plan to sail from Scotland so hoping to find a marina to berth in during that time. Any information on location and rough costs would be much appreciated.
Thanks - Geoff
OYSTER2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:03   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Liveaboard Maine

As you no-doubt know, Maine has a real winter and unless you are hardy and have just the right spot you probably don't want to deal with living aboard from around November through April. Even marinas that are open will often not have any running water on the docks, meaning you have to jug it to the boat. You'll probably want a full deck cover, heating, etc. I've lived aboard over winters in southern New England and it takes a special type of person to want to do so. Not many do it. OTOH, Maine in the summer is wonderful, but keep in mind again the season is relatively short. I suggest checking out the Midcoast area around Camden, Rockland, and Belfast if you have your choice of areas to live. They both have a lot going on year 'round, Penobscot Bay sailing and cruising is great, and there are many marinas and moorings to choose from.
Old 06-05-2024, 09:14   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Welcome!

Do you have a specific region in mind? Like everywhere else, few marinas allow liveaboards, and in some ports slips of any kind are hard to come by. You might have more options renting a mooring. Maybe if we knew where you hoping to go, someone local might know of a place.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:22   #4

There is a surprisingly robust liveaboard community in Boston. Most shrink wrap for the winter. The off season dockage is relatively reasonable, if "reasonable" can ever describe dockage fees in New England. And Maine is only a 24hr sail away. But if you're planning to be house hunting in ME while living aboard then of course Boston is too far away for that.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 04:42   #5

Thanks for all replies and suggestions. The boat is fully winterised for Arctic conditions - we're at 60°N here in the Orkney Is, so well used to the freezing temperatures. I quite understand the issue of trucking water from the faucet to the water tanks on board but I'm sure my wife won't mind doing that on a daily basis!! Although we have a 9Kw generator, shore power would be more convenient.
I'll continue research in the hope I can find a suitable location.

Geoff
Blue Aurora
Old 08-05-2024, 07:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

The author would be a good contact. Also the article note several year round liveaboard communities.

https://www.islandinstitute.org/work...ck-year-round/
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 07:43   #7

Below is a snippet from a 2020 email

Quote:
I am emailing to follow up on our phone conversation earlier today about winter in-slip storage at Fore Points Marina (Portland). Our winter fee is $80 per foot and would give you access to the marina from 11/1/2020-04/30/2021. During that time there would be limited utility availability; there will be power options, however, we will not have water on the docks.
Old 08-05-2024, 09:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
Below is a snippet from a 2020 email
Thanks so much - I'll check it out

Geoff
Blue Aurora

Tags
liveaboard, maine