Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 09:15   #16

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Annapolis is very cruiser friendly. You can't "secure your place" when you go sailing, but there are certainly plenty of places to anchor. If you are going to be anchored for a while the Harbormaster will ask you for contact information so they can reach you if something happens while you are off the boat.

Anchorage areas are off the Naval Academy wall at the mouth of Spa Creek (can get bumpy), Spa Creek above the bride, Back Creek, and Weems Creek. In my own opinion Back Creek and Weems Creek are the best choice for commuters. If you have a big boat with a real hot-rod dinghy Whitehall Bay is an option.

As noted, transit options are pretty darn good although the time to get into DC or Baltimore is long.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 21:35   #17

Boat: CSY33
I'm intrigued by the idea that people live aboard at anchor while working. Don't think I will be doing it, but curious. Those who anchor and commute, they must have some location where they can secure their dinghy, I expect? Any idea how they manage that?

Anyone have info or a link to the commuter buses from Annapolis regions to DC?
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 04:18   #18

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Dinghies are locked up at dinghy dock at the end of the street. The bus stop is perhaps four blocks away. There's two bus lines that go from Annapolis to DC - the 921 and 950. They run several busses each way on each weekday.

Maryland Transit Administration

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 08:03   #19

dennisjay,
Thanks!
Greatly appreciated.
Old 16-04-2010, 09:13   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
There are folks that permanently anchor in Annapolis and commute to D.C. There's a great commuter bus system that's comfortable and usually fast. I kept boats on the upper Potomac (and in Woodbridge) for many years and it was a waste because the sailing is so limited. In Annapolis, there's dozens of great places to sail within a day.
I make this commute on the bus 5x week. The buses are clean and the passengers generally pleasant. It's a good option.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:38   #21

Woodbridge

Sorry to butt in ....

But I wasn't sure if you mentioned if there were live aboard slips in Woodbridge?

What about Quantico Town?

Thanks
chuck99z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 13:32   #22

Boat: Columbia 29 & Saber
I liveaboard at Port Annapolis and drive into Dulles VA 4x a week. Its a good haul, but if you have flexible hours and miss most of the rush hour traffic its not too bad. I believe that many of the marinas in area will allow access to their facitilites for a small fee if your on the hook. I searched for 6 months trying to find something close to DC. Even with the 120 mile drive (round trip) Annapolis was the best I could find.
Vartok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 15:39   #23

Vartok, we did this too for 7 yrs 3x/wk. Left Annapolis at 6 AM and left Dulles at 2:30 PM - minus rush hour traffic, it was only about an hour and ten minutes in the morning and an hour and a half in the afternoon. The tremendous plus is that from Annapolis, on the weekend, you were only about 10 minutes from sailing the Bay.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:07   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Technically speaking I've always heard that Deale, MD was the closest Chesapeake Bay marina to DC. We lived aboard there (Shipwright Harbor Marina) back in the early 90's and the commute was about an hour to Rosslyn where I was working. I'm sure its probably not still an hour but maybe not much more since they put in the new bridge and widened Route 1 through parts of Alexandria. Deale would definitely be closer than Annapolis and cheaper. Herrington Harbor North is also in Deale but I'm not sure if they allow liveaboards.
Old 13-07-2010, 11:06   #25

You can also use the marinas at Deal, MD. Located at southern most part of Anne Arundel County. Herrington Harbour North being the largest. 28 Miles SW of DC. Relatively comfortable drive.. We live close to it. Commuter buses are very comfortable.
milhan
milhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:45   #26

Boat: several from 20 -50'
Liveaboard in DC

Tantallon Marina is in a residential neighborhood and might seem quiet compared to Gangplank. It's family friendly and unpretentious. The docks, electric, etc. are top-quality and they have laundry and showers on site. There is a resident dock master and the water stays on all winter... they even shovel the docks and parking lot in the winter! :0
partgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 23:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by partgypsy View Post
they have laundry and showers on site.
These must be very new. When did they come online?
Old 13-08-2010, 05:02   #28

Boat: several from 20 -50'
Laundry facilities at Tantallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
These must be very new. When did they come online?
They were officially opened in May. The last permitting hurdle to jump was the installation of a concrete pad for 4 wheelchair accessible parking spots.
The marina owner was so excited that she through a large BBQ for all the tenants and the neighbourhood, in celebration There are a couple of photos on the web site.
The place is now about 75% occupied.
partgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 15:16   #29

Boat: Chris Craft Constellation 55', TARA, Holman and Pye, 46' custom cutter, Me Voy
I live aboard in Baltimore and commute close to DC, daily. Not bad, taking 295 takes me 45 minutes
DogOnBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 16:00   #30

Boat: Island Packet Cat, 35 ft, Knotty Cat
When we anchored in DC, we used the dinghy dock at the Capital Yacht Club (along with full use of their facilities!). I was under the impression that permanent slips were available (except for those big house boats that never move). I also thought their prices were pretty reasonable considering that this was Washington DC! Since public transportation is right there you don't even need a car to get to your job.
Hans and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, Washington DC