Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2006, 23:44   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Why would they have showers , toilets and washing machines ?

They come down and collect the rent from the laundry area 2 days a week. Be a real pita unless you were a liveaboard.

All cruiser's as well.

Of course you can anchor outside the mooring area for nothing as long as you aren't a hazard to shipping which is where my 800mm draft will be handy.

Dave
Dave,this is all I got on liveaboard at the moorings,second last paragraph in the setout rules?Rules and Safety | Port of Brisbane
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 23:51   #32

Hey Dave,this is what I found in the rules section(note 2nd last paragraph)Mudnuthttp://www.portbris.com.au/operations/boatharbours/rules_and_safety
Old 16-12-2006, 00:03   #33

Somehow I couldn't copy &paste,Heres what is says."A person must not live on-board any vessel anchored or moored within a boat harbour for a period in excess of 48hrs over any 7 consecutive days."2nd paragraph from the bottom of the rules & safety section of the link you posted.The gardens is named at the top of the page along with others.? I serched the whole site and came up with nada.Mudnut.
Old 16-12-2006, 00:05   #34

Rules and Safety | Port of Brisbane
Old 16-12-2006, 04:40   #35

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
What's the problem Mudnut, it's only a max $7500 fine!!!!

Maximum penalties for such offences are:‑
  1. Where the offence relates to the movement, mooring or other activities of ships ‑ 100 penalty units.
  2. Where the offence relates to the movement, handling or storage of goods ‑ 50 penalty units.
  3. Where the offence relates to any other matter dealt with in this notice ‑ 25 penalty units.
At 1 April 2002, a penalty unit is $75.00.
By order of the Chief Executive Officer

But really, go and have a look for yourself, I think you'd have to really piss 'em off to get these rules enforced, going on my experiences as a mooring holder in Manly since 1990.

Do you really think they go down and make all these wll travelled yachties stay at the Heritage Hotel?

I know for a fact that there are a few liveaboards at Manly Harbour and I also know that a blind eye is turned, as long as no one complaines, as they provide an elenent of security.This is the answer given to me by POB a few years back when I lived aboard for a stint.

Any way, hardly matters as there is plenty of River to anchor in where it will cost nothing and they have no real control over.

Dave
Old 16-12-2006, 08:07   #36

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Quote:
Okay Dumb question.... When someone says $1.50 per foot or $15 a foot is that per day, per month, per year? Or is it both? why don't marina's say $/ft/month

$1.50 per Day or $15.00 per month. The daily rate if for transient slips.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 09:51   #37
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Actually, most marinas quote by total footage (either the slip or boat, whichever is greater) per month. Such as: a 40 foot slip will cost you $xxx.00 a month. Then there is the cost of living aboard, sometimes additional charges for electricity, inspection, and possibly requirements for a pump-out service to attend your boat bi-weekly. Plus, most marinas require copies of your registration (or documentation) along with insurance that names them as co-insured.

Live aboard slips can be found all over Souther California: Ventura has several and one marina allows 50% live aboards. Even that one has a long waiting list (about 2 years). The 10% live aboard allowance is the most common - it was RECOMMENDED by the Boating and Waterways Commission as a good number - most harbors/marinas use that as GOSPEL...ie, we are only allowed XX by the 'what ever authority they cite'. There is NO RULE/LAW (statewide in CA) that says ONLY 10% is allowed. Many local districts create that rule, citing the B & W C..
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 14:36   #38

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Quote:
Actually, most marinas quote by total footage (either the slip or boat, whichever is greater) per month.
No, in San Diego most Marinas price by the foot of the boat. The boat is measured to the longest point that is what you pay.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 15:01   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
No, in San Diego most Marinas price by the foot of the boat. The boat is measured to the longest point that is what you pay.
There is often a minumum as well. 30 ft is common.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 15:10   #40

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
Here at the Shelter Island marina, San Diego they charge for the slip that you are in as well. In our case we are 35.5 ft and pay for a 39 ft slip and roughly 18.00 per foot. there is a very strict rule for overhang and so forth. Lucky us....
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 16:15   #41

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
I have lived aboard in Marina del Rey (Los Angeles) Marinatown (North Fort Myers) and now at Riverview (Fort Lauderdale). From my experience, there is no consensus on how things are billed. Some by the length of the slip, some by the length of the boat (even there, some LOA some LOD) some include electricity, water, garbage etc. ... some do not. Some add an exhorbitant amount for living aboard, some are reasonable. Some turn a blind eye to sneak aboards, some (like MDR) are intense about it.
The best advice I can offer is to talk to someone that is currently living in the marina of your choice .... and ask many, many, many questions. We were fortunate enough to chat with a fellow who lives here, for nearly an hour. He gave it a solid thumbs up ... and I would have to agree with his appraisal.
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 17:55   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by windthief
Here at the Shelter Island marina, San Diego they charge for the slip that you are in as well. In our case we are 35.5 ft and pay for a 39 ft slip and roughly 18.00 per foot. there is a very strict rule for overhang and so forth. Lucky us....
I think with Sun Harbor Marina (right across the moorage from Driscoll / Kholer) I'm paying a flat rate. I'm looking at my invoice and it says:

"Dockage up to 45 ft $645.00"

Plus $9/month in metered power.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2006, 18:03   #43
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Rebel ... that (for the area) isn't that bad .. does that include liveaboard?
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 23:15   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfivena
We are going to rent our condo - partialy due to the poor real estate market, but also due to what I see as a big 'con' to living on a boat - namely the fact that you are left out of the housing market and the subsequent tax advantages and oppurtunity to build equity. Just something to consider...
I just read that a liveaboard (minimum 10 days/month) qualifies for housing deduction with IRS. Is that not true?
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:14   #45

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman
I just read that a liveaboard (minimum 10 days/month) qualifies for housing deduction with IRS. Is that not true?
Yes, I believe the interest paid is deductable. I'm sure if one were ever audited though, they'd have to jump through hoops to prove they lived aboard.

I guess what I meant to say is that the general 'financial climate' strongly encourages home ownwership (at least in the USA). Whereas boating will always be seen as a luxury even if you choose to live frugally in a modest used boat. You'll get all kinds of breaks to help pay for your $500,000 house, but squat for your $50,000 'yacht'. Municipal use tax, marina/mooring fees and even maintenance are all non-deductable where-as with a house you get some tax relief for property tax and the like.

We have excellent credit, but had a hard time getting a loan for a boat that we could easily afford. Whereas mortgage companies will happily give you a loan for a house you can't possibly afford - and at a lower interest rate!

This is all in addition to the fact that a neglected piece of real estate will still hold most of its value, or even appreciate. While a boat requires constant expensive maintenance to maybe hold its value.

...all sort of off the general topic flow, but the original poster had asked for pros and cons, and the financial details I've encountered strike me as a potential con for people.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard