Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 15:42   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I'm sure if one were ever audited though, they'd have to jump through hoops to prove they lived aboard." No hoops requied, the IRS is up front about what is needed to make something into a "home", and that's typically a bed, toilet, and kitchen (in plain language). Whether your home is tax deductible, a primary residence, a vacation home, etc., depends on a whole host of other rules but the IRS has a very good web site with all of their publications on it. And, they'll mail you copies for free if you prefer.

Meet the published rules, and you'll sail through any examination or audit. No pun intended.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:17   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’m not certain, but I suspect one convincing proof of “Live-Aboard” status might be your mailing address*.
* your driver’s licence etc, and official mail is delivered to a dock address

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 10:11   #48

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Meet the published rules, and you'll sail through any examination or audit. No pun intended.
I stand corrected. Apologies. I was speaking based on personal experience with state taxes, rental properties and state residency. After paying income tax to two states to avoid a suspended professional license I remain jaded. I met and documented all rules but was still faced with a 'pay now' or we pull your license (and my wife's). I was left with a decision to pay it and continue working or decide to fight and not work.

Anyhoo - some what off topic. My original point was living aboard is something of a non-traditional lifestyle that could cause beuracratic hassles. It shouldn't stop anyone from living aboard, but is a potential 'con', like limited storage, slip fees, maintenance, etc.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 10:20   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, if more moonshiners were still shooting revenuers, I suspect we'd all be better off.<G> How the taxmen ever got the courts to allow "seize first convict later" I'll never accept. That's Napoleanic Code, and that's simply not legal in this country. Except in Louisiana.

Bureacrats deal with masses and standards, to them anything "unconventional" is a speedbump, to be leveled off and bulldozed aside before it forces them to think. The fun (not) comes of course when the "published rules" conflict, either between two agencies, or in one agency.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard