Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2011, 06:07   #76
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Liveaboard - Realistic View

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuborndancer View Post
Because of the money I have saved at the moment, and how cheap boats seem to be selling these days, is why I was wondering if looking for a boat at the moment might be a better rout, rather than waiting until I felt ready to take off onto the water.
Leaving aside that no real "right" answer, even if folk had all the facts (but on that latter point fortunately this is the internet - so lack of facts not a problem )..........then unless you really want a 30' boat now, then I would hold off.

All things being equal (blah blah blah) then IMO you are early enough in your learning curve so that just about everything you do over the next year (or so) could help make the first boat cheaper (whether to buy, maintain or refurb), or failing that at least less of a PITA / less time consuming from having bought better / more knowledgeably. Ideally all of them

Am not familiar with the boat market in your side of the world, but the cheap boat market tends to be pretty stable - plenty of cheap boats always around, most of them not suitable, and many of which no one really wants........and not always the right one in the right place at the right. Always a bit of a crap shoot involved on timing / finding a genuine bargain - or at least something that won't break the bank / your heart...........Bags of ***** can always be found.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 11:00   #77
Scurvy Dog

I would recommend that you do not buy a boat until you are ready to spend a lot of time aboard.

Get your finances together: Early Retirement Extreme Forums

If you want to buy something, get the following:

a heavy duty duffelbag
a set of weather gear">foul weather gear
a chartplotting gps
a vhf
a handheld compass
pair of binoculars
a harness that fits you well
two good knives
a multitool

With that equipment you are ready to sail with others, or to jump on just about any boat and sail it away. Make sure you are financially ready first.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 11:58   #78

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Out of curiosity, I read every post in this thread and counted only 8 written by people who stated or implied they actually did it. 8 out of 75 total comments!
Seems like opinions are rampant.

Having lived aboard myself in a former life, my experience is that you can dismiss all but those 8 in your quest for useful info. Those 8 are obvious and quite divergent in their perspective than the rest.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 12:38   #79

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Make it 9.

I highly suggest living aboard. It is awesome. I have done it both at anchor and at dock. I would not suggest anchored living aboard during a NW winter. I would suggest anchored living aboard during summer in a nice quiet anchorage.

Avoid cities, where people tend to try to fine you, charge you, tell you to get a job, basically meddle with your life. The country has way less weirdos of that ilk.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 12:43   #80
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboard - Realistic View

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 15:49   #81
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Out of curiosity, I read every post in this thread and counted only 8 written by people who stated or implied they actually did it. 8 out of 75 total comments!
Seems like opinions are rampant.

Having lived aboard myself in a former life, my experience is that you can dismiss all but those 8 in your quest for useful info. Those 8 are obvious and quite divergent in their perspective than the rest.
I guess you only saw one question. and are therefore only counting answers against that.

good news for OP is that 67 didn't just see that. and maybe even most of the other 8 simply decided to focus on the one element deliberately.

In any event, a 75 post thread with lots of advice / info (and yes!, opinions) is a result on a forum - want quicker and shorter / more focused? get a book
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 18:07   #82

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 08:07   #83

As liveaboards, we find life pretty good and always wonder what other folk are doing. However, the idealistic if not whimsical dreams I've read here seem out a Hardy Boys' novel. "Catching rain water"...sheesh. Liveaboards aren't survivalists, although many could compete on "Survivor".

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 10:53   #84
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Cruising the Bahamas, it's smart to catch rain water if you can. Whether purchased or from your own watermarker, fresh water is expensive here. The down side is that there's little rain to be caught during the dry season. For those who anchor out anywhere, it's also a way to avoid an extra trip to the marina just to bunker water. Lastly, as a female I can tell you there is nothing like rain water for washing your hair.
Old 17-03-2011, 11:04   #85

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi Janet,

As a male, I can confirm this is the case indeed, and it applies equally to both sexes.

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:04   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Cruising the Bahamas, it's smart to catch rain water if you can. Whether purchased or from your own watermarker, fresh water is expensive here.
I wouldn't disagree with you when cruising (I believe the post was about living aboard). As you commented on having to go to shore for water while in the Caribe I believe that this is just another necessity required as one of the liveaboard tasks related to where you "live", not unlike hiking fuel to your boat for the heater if you live in the PNW in the winter.

I prefer the watermaker as most Earthly rainwater is pretty toxic, especially collected on board; perhaps the Caribbean aside.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:46   #87
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

having lived aboard since 1990 i find rainwater ANYWHERE is better than tap water ANYWHERE.
yes living aboard is a survivalist lifestyle-- look at santa cruz and crescent city and japan , among others. natural disasters happen. dont forget typhoons like yasi occur all the time.
with these storms coming to kali now, i would not collect rain water unless i was looking to cure my own cancers. has been announced that allegedly low levels of radiation will come with this coming rain to kali coast. the last rain was our last clean rain for awhile. mebbe this coming nonevent will just provide enough radiation to cure our lil cancers...??? drop some on my skin on htat spot, please......
so please dont think just because you are in the alleged safety of a marina that you are safe fromk disasters. is wrong thinking and can killye. please be safe. is just when you let your guard down in this lifestyle that something big happens to awaken you. i hope you do not find yourself in the middle of something uncontrollable.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 20:43   #88

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Liveaboard - Realistic View

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Absolutely! PM me when you're getting close. And I'm fine with Keystone Light.
Funny.

Hey, SD, be sure to take along all those empty water jugs, and your trash. Bash will understand.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 03:51   #89
Scurvy Dog

What is the best way to collect rainwater?
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 04:09   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
As liveaboards, we find life pretty good and always wonder what other folk are doing. ".
Sat in an office on a little island off the NW corner of Europe infront of a 'puter watching the rain falling outside and wondering when Spring will arrive.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard