Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2018, 14:30   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Liveaboard voting rights threatened in Clay County FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Did they accept you by mistake? It sounds like that might be the case. If you go into the DMV and tell them this is the address you live at...the average guy behind the counter is just going to type it in and not think anything more of it... 99% of the time, people give them the correct information, so they aren't typically looking for this type of error...except now it looks like they caught on to it and is tying to correct the errors.

And, No they aren't saying you live where you used to live. You have decided to live outside the normal bounds of society and since they don't want to take away you right to vote, they have decided the most logical option for voting is to keep you associated with the last community that you resided in rather than a mail forwarding business in a community where you have no link at all and may never have even visited.

No, no mistake, I had no idea how it was done, however the lady at the Drivers license office knew. That is how the State of Florida has decided to do it with people who live aboard, have claimed Fl as their State of residence and their boat as their Domicile.

State of Fl. is doing this guy's not me, and not SBI. Seems I guess that one or two at least live aboard in the State and seeing as how the Feds require a home address, the State of Fl has come up with a way to accommodate that.

Now for some reason you want it to be that we are associated with the last place we lived on land, and I'm not sure why you want that to be the way it is, but apparently it's not that way.
I can't see the logic in well I used to live in Montana, so Ill vote in Montana?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 14:51   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
That is a very exceptional situation.

I would like to find out more about it, what are the conditions required to do the same, can truly homeless or nomadic camper-dwellers do it,

and do other states have anything similar?

And are you one of those feeling disenfranchised by this new local law?

First there is no law, and unlikely there will be. I say that because the similar place in Tx apparently just went through a very similar thing, and they won. So there is precedent.
First you have to understand that you can't Vote in State and Local elections without apparently a real, physical address. So all we St. Brendan's Isle people can do is vote on Federal levels. I'm sure there are likely dozens of businesses like SBI, just they sort of specialize in Cruisers, so a lot of us use them.

Then most of the people that subscribe to places like St. Brendan's Isle are the Camper you speak of, Id bet the motorhome folks outnumber us ten to one, but that is a guess, I Really have no idea at all.
But it's way more than them, many, many people work in Aviation as contractors, they may work at Boeing this year in Seattle and at Lockheed in Atlanta next year.
Then there are apparently a surprising number of Nurses that are contract, and move around where ever the best pay is.The number of contract workers is increasing as the companies don't have to pay benefits, retirement etc and can fire at the drop of the hat.

So I guess what I'm saying is that more and more Retirees are not willing to sit on the porch anymore and even younger people are becoming more and more transient. These people pay taxes and have contributed to Society.

I Don't feel disenfranchised, truth is I rarely vote, except at Federal levels, I have been "gone" most of my life and really haven't lived anywhere really, I have been stationed in Al, Tx, and Ga.

There are a great many transient people now, and I think the number may be increasing. FL has come up with one way to deal with it.

I think that as long as I can continue to draw my Retirement pay, I'll likely eventually settle overseas somewhere, but if not, in my opinion Green Cove Springs ticks a lot of my boxes, it's close to a large city, but is rural, and very close to a large Military Base, and it's close to our kids, if they stay where they are. Why not go to ground there one day?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 15:08   #153
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" First you have to understand that you can't Vote in State and Local elections without apparently a real, physical address."
True. And as the folks in Miami-Dade were reminded by the federal courts (Miami and Texas being in separate federal court districts, so precedent from one does not bind the other) "Under the Julia Tuttle Causeway" constitutes a sufficient real physical address, even if the USPS won't deliver mail there.
The problem with "Aboard the Good Ship Lollipop" is that it may be a physical location, but it is not a FIXED location, so it cannot be associated with any physical election district.
This stuff only changes if Congress or the federal courts mandate a change.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 17:51   #154
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Now for some reason you want it to be that we are associated with the last place we lived on land, and I'm not sure why you want that to be the way it is, but apparently it's not that way.

I can't see the logic in well I used to live in Montana, so Ill vote in Montana?
I don't think anyone "wants" that.

The point is, for those that are **not** so aware of these legal issues, and don't take care of the domicile part properly,

it may well be determined **for them**, if there is a reason (like local / state taxes) for a jurisdiction to pursue the matter.

For a wealthy person with multiple homes, spending X amount of time in different locations, some with family connections, property and businesses all over, obviously it gets complicated and they should get lawyers' advice.

For those with little income or property, they may never realize it's even an issue.

This solution by the State of Florida sounds like a great solution for those willing for their database fingerprint to explicitly show they are nomadic, and / or uncomfortable with "lying" about their situation.

If I can learn more about it, whether TX ND or other popular states have similar options, then that will be a great alternative to using a friends / family S&B address.

Do please let us know if any agency or service provider refuses to accept that dummy address though.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 08:05   #155

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Apparently this voter disenfranchisement is no longer a proposal. I just tried to request my absentee ballot for the upcoming election and they do not have a record of my registration. I looked up my status and there was no record of my registration, though I voted in the 2016 presidential election. It looks like I've been purged.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 09:40   #156

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Motor voter laws require the state to offer you voter registration when you get your license. If you have a FL license you vote where that says your address is. That’s what A64 is reporting. Consistent.

Clay County can not refuse you a absentee ballot.

There is an alternate process I posted somewhere up tread whereby you CAN get (at least Federal) absentee ballots sent to you if the county is unresponsive.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 09:51   #157
cruiser

Election officials need to make sure their voting rolls are up to date. If you do not vote, and have not had contact with the county elections office for a two-year period, election officials will send you a notice to confirm your address.

If you do not contact the elections office, or the notice is returned as “undeliverable,” your registration is put down as inactive.

All a voter has to do is contact their county elections office, and they will be able to vote. Or go to their polling place on Election Day and confirm their address.

If you are marked as an inactive voter and then don’t vote in the next two general elections (a four-year period), your registration is canceled. Then you have to reregister.
Old 18-09-2018, 11:35   #158
cruiser

Update on the non-partisan National Popular Vote campaign

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1116971938310&ca=3e2f6130-8a29-4184-aee7-0e8dc13e70ea

Tags
liveaboard