Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 20:20   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Marina slip fees + live aboard fees + metered power + all the other taxes and fees is still significantly less expensive than paying for a space + utilities in a trailer park....besides land just doesn't move right

If I were to live aboard and not sail I would get a power boat (with a bad engine could be a bout free)...ideally some sort of old fishing boat or other commercial boat or something that is just designed to float and not go anywhere.

power boats do have a lot of room and if their engines run, are quite fun!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 22:07   #17

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Delmarrey, think your snobbery is showing through. I bought my first live aboard 26' boat without much sailing experience, especially ocean sailing experience. The only way I could afford a boat was to live on it. Bought, sailed, lived aboard and sold three boats eventually sailing the East Coast and SoPac. Never had any money but always had enough money for the boat. Never had a boat with a shower. Why does the boat need a shower when you've rain??

I'm probably going to have my boat in Gig Harbor in a years, what's the problem with live aboards there??? From what I could see walking the docks, didn't see much trash, in fact just the opposite. Most of the boats were gold plate power vessels that looked to be under used but not under loved.
I don't have a problem with live-aboards just people that know nothing about boats moving into a marina. Again I USE TO LIVE-ABOARD myself and used the showers on the walk. But to just go out and buy a boat to live on, thats ridiculous.

Why not a travel trailer? I lived in one of those too and it was a lot less expensive then the 27' boat I had at the time. I had sewer, water, 110V electrical, phone, cable TV, AC, refrigerator, heater, hot & cold pressured water and . The only maintenance was to cover up the tires so they didn't cook in the sun, kill the local ants and wash it down once in awhile. And the lot was less then the slip for the boat. So you can't tell me boats are less!

Nothing wrong with Gig harbor! It has an area where the docks are lined with palm trees in big pots and what looks like a small community taking up a whole dock. I have no problem with that! It looks inviting. Apparently, they must own the dock or have special arrangements with the owners.
I'm talking from experience!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	terry25.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	20729  
Old 01-11-2010, 22:44   #18

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Come on you guys, you all know Del works on his own boat and does a journeyman job of it. No person who works that hard can be a snob. If you want to gig him about something, accuse him of trying to corner the market on stainless steel nuts and bolts. That would be closer to correct.....dang stainless cotter pins just keep going up and up.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 18:09   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
The only maintenance was to cover up the tires so they didn't cook in the sun,
I'm talking from experience!

Kinda slackin' on the maintenance there, eh?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote