Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2012, 13:02   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: liveaboards - When do you Tell Friends and Family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfishgyd View Post
..............My first date with my wife, I took her fishing...why have a 2nd date if she didn't like that............
I've known Jaxfishgyd for a while,- now I know he's a wiser man than I thought! So, I'm thinking back and I realize that my first date with my future wife was a spelunking trip. I could pretend to be as smart as Captain Charlie? I had no idea that comfort in a cave would have been a sign for living well inside our sailboat!
Old 28-10-2012, 18:33   #32

Boat: 40 ft Cheoy Lee S/V Sun Chaser

When my mom (who was so scared of water she wouldn't put too much water in the bathtub) found out we were taking our 10 year old son out of school to cruise she didn't speak to us for 4 months.
We actually got a lot done while she wasn't speaking to us ;-} We prepared too much, bought too much, and brought too much......
Most people spend so much time preparing they never leave the dock. We did eventually leave, cruised off and on for several years and continue to do so episodically.
Our son was 10 when we moved aboard and 15 when he started a land based school again.He did not drown as my mother predicted, and he went on to graduate from HS in 3 years, attend a prestigious college, graduated in 3 years and now is doing better than 90% of his peers. Sailing made him a better child, person and man. It made and continues to make my husband and I very happy.
It's not the life for everyone, but you'll never know unless you try it, and if don't do it you'll always wonder if you should have.
No apologies, no explanations, just let them know you are living your dream
Best of Luck!
Sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 18:47   #33

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchaser View Post
When my mom (who was so scared of water she wouldn't put too much water in the bathtub) found out we were taking our 10 year old son out of school to cruise she didn't speak to us for 4 months.
We actually got a lot done while she wasn't speaking to us ;-} We prepared too much, bought too much, and brought too much......
Most people spend so much time preparing they never leave the dock. We did eventually leave, cruised off and on for several years and continue to do so episodically.
Our son was 10 when we moved aboard and 15 when he started a land based school again.He did not drown as my mother predicted, and he went on to graduate from HS in 3 years, attend a prestigious college, graduated in 3 years and now is doing better than 90% of his peers. Sailing made him a better child, person and man. It made and continues to make my husband and I very happy.
It's not the life for everyone, but you'll never know unless you try it, and if don't do it you'll always wonder if you should have.
No apologies, no explanations, just let them know you are living your dream
Best of Luck!
Dear friend, for over 30 years, has always asked me to help deliver his boats across oceans and then cruise. Took his 3 young kids along and they were studs-2 girls 1 boy. Same result as your story with all his kids. Not sure about the %..
Old 28-10-2012, 19:07   #34

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hi Becky, I have been following your posts, nice to meet you!
Best of luck with making your dreams a reality.
The last five years on the water have been the best years of my life so far (and that is saying a lot as I had a good life beforehand).
Nice to meet you also. We have a wonderful life here too, but still I hope to join you all out there sooner rather than later.

Tags
family