Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2007, 10:39   #16

That's great news. PW is a great location. Smart move. Go for it! I grew up in the next town on LI.

If you have wheels you'll never run out of interesting experiences in art, theater, performance, music, history you name it and ethnic cuisine... We've got the best food from all around the world.

I'd take Maine for cruising, or the caribe, but it ain't at all bad over here for 10 years or so.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 16:27   #17

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Defjef - I will look you up when I get settled in January. WHYS is a really great little marina - too bad Art didn't have a spot.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 16:49   #18

He has one now, because I am storing out East in Greenport this season, got a deal for less than half. I couldn't pass that one up. And my winter projects are few so I don't need the easy off season access.

I'm curious about who monitors live aboard compliance. I think that is pretty slack.

Give me a shout!

jef
sv shiva
Old 27-10-2007, 00:35   #19

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Swabbmob Welcome to the neighborhood! I just noticed this thread. I live in Great Neck, the next village just west of Port Wash. Manhasset Bay is a great choice for many reasons. Was out on the sound this morning, wind from the east at 20-22 knots but back in the bay at the dock conditions were very quiet, the water was like glass.
The Port Washington branch on the long island railroad is the best in the system. All other branches go through a large terminal, Jamaica.
My cousins daughter lived on the bay in a houseboat until last year, and her husband is a bay constable. I'll check with him if anyone is monitoring
liveaboards and if there is any information I can pass on to you.
Your welcome to contact me for any local info, my wife knows where all the good restaurants are!

Good luck, Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 07:39   #20

Great to meet ya!

Hugosalt,
Look forward to meeting you. Our marina family here in Kansas is sad to see us go, but we are already making new acquaintances in NY. One of my favorite things about boats.

Can you or your wife give us the scoop on the elementary schools in Port Washington?

The marina in PW looked pretty well protected. The day we were ther it was storming and the boats on the outer slips we getting some chop, but didn't seem unbearable. The boats at City Island were much more exposed.
Old 28-10-2007, 07:45   #21

Defjef,
Would a 50' boat fit in the open slip? What could I expect for annual fees. Brewers in PW is very pricey, which I expected.

WHYS was the most well protected marina we've seen, both from land and sea. I love the way it is tucked back behind the larger marina just to the East.

Would be a more direct commute, but Port Washington seemed like a really pretty town. Nice to have choices, huh?
Old 28-10-2007, 11:51   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Swabbmob-
Have you checked that the PW elementary schools will accept enrollment from a "marina" address? School taxes out there are more or less the same as property taxes--pretty damn high--and many districts will go to war before they accept a student whose parents aren't paying school taxes.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 16:25   #23

Elementary School Enrollment

We will check on that immediately. Had not considered it.
Old 28-10-2007, 17:15   #24

I know both NR and PW and both are very nice. NR has a greater range from lower class blacks to very wealthy whites (and blacks). I think PW is more homogeneous upper middle class and above whites.

NR has better access to land activities and the adjoining park lands are really nice, both Pehlam and Glen Island. I prefer the feel of the WHYS to a Brewers any day... call it charm, scale...whatever. Brewers is about as expensive as they come.

If you drive, the i95 is very close to WHYS as is a Home Despot and other big box store. Handy for shopping. I think PW will be further off the LIE, but each are short train rides to the Manhattan. I prefer Westchester Cty to Nassau Cty Long Island.

Also within bicycle ranger from WHYS are the Bronx Zoo and the amazing New York Botanical Gardens. And there is great kyacking back in those waters. City Island is not protected so it can see swells. WHYS is really tucked in and safe. But the there is no cutesey town in NR. Bottom line for me, NR is a better location.

My preference is WHYS, but PW is a close second. As far as size.. I think 50' is not a problem if he has a slip. regardless of where you end up, I'll pop over.

jef
sv shiva
Old 28-10-2007, 22:53   #25

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
I will get info on elem schools in pw. I'm pretty sure you don't have anything to worry about regarding the schools accepting enrollment.
Marinas pay taxes also.
I'm not going to go down the list of great parks museums etc. here on the north shore but I can assure you in pw or nr you there will always be something to see or somewhere to go on land or on the water. And with the city 30-40 minutes away I still feel like a tourist!

Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, nyc