Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2014, 05:05   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Living aboard in Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
You are likely not addressing the question to me, but I excel with a shoehorn!
Oh man... I'll bet that sounds great with the accordion!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 17:50   #17

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We arrived here in Garrison Bight today and picked up a city mooring ball. Lets be clear... because we were confused... there is Garrison Bight mooring field and then there is Garrison Bight marina area... which is the area fright along North Roosevelt Ave. The area next to the Roosevelt ave is off limits to you for both depth and height restrictions but the mooring field is wide open. 9 to 11 feet inside the field.

Compared to a lot of mooring fields, this one seems to have a lot of fetch from all directions. Its not as well protected as it appears on google earth or whatever.

FYI...not sure what plotter or charts you have but my Garmin charts were way way off in this area - Depths were much deeper than shown on the chart plotter in the dredged channel, just follow the markers around the end of fleming key. Current was very strong... we saw over two knots going all the way in from the Hawk Channel.

I'm not sure what I would think about leaving a boat all alone around here... the town has an icky feeling to it and it just feels like you need to keep you stuffed locked up.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 20:28   #18

key west bight is the best and safest...but would still want a neighbor to look out for day/night excursions to town. they do tend to self police. stripped boats are common in other areas of kw...especially if you are new. paying for a marina slip is very expensive and the only liveaboards allowed that I know of are on houseboat row...which is already full of houseboats. finding a private slip could be difficult or nearly impossible because of the negative stereotype of people living on boats. (they have a long history of derelict vessels around the island and are working hard to eliminate all of them...so the cruise ships and hotel guests think the place is like Disney.) leaving a boat...no...never...and especially during hurricane season. if your boat ends up on seagrass...the fine is usually about $10k. though you are thinking that you have a nice boat and people will be more open to you...you may be right....but if you apply for a job...they will wonder what drug you are addicted to or if your are a prostitute. basically, liveaboard on the hook...sure...but be careful...and don't leave the boat there unattended anywhere while away. (dinghy dock is $80 per month)
doug1168w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 20:36   #19

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1168w View Post
liveaboard on the hook...sure...but be careful...and don't leave the boat there unattended anywhere while away.
I know that the city mooring field in KW does not allow you to leave your boat unattended.

I'm not sure why you would want to spend 8 months in KW anyhow. After a little more than a month the place really got to us AND its very expensive. IMO - Marathon is a more desirable location and many many cruisers here in Marathon agree.

I'm not saying that KW does not have its merits... its just busy, expensive, and as not cruiser friendly as other places in the Keys. Which BTW - are freakin' cold right now.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west, living aboard