Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2011, 11:47   #16

Boat: Helleman, 45' Steel Trawler
Re: Living Aboard My Crusier . . . Thumbs Up !

I've lived aboard since 2006. It's great. Over the years I've either thrown excess stuff out or else given it away. Guess what. Never missed one item, and I still have too much! It is amazing how little you really use and need. My 45' boat now almost feels too big, so I understand it when I hear long timers say that 35' is the right size and anything more is an extravagance. The tradeoff is that you have to learn about everything aboard, how it all works, how to maintain and repair it, or else you are at the mercy of the "professionals", who in my experience do a bad job and charge through the roof.
Honey Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 12:04   #17

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Im making the move in less than 3 weeks.
Im looking forward to being closer to nature, not shut away in a first floor appartment, surrounded by concrete and drywall with too little daylight, feeling as though my neighbours can hear my every sound.

Bring it on
Old 30-03-2011, 12:06   #18

Quote:
Next month will be my 1 year mark that I have been living aboard my Portofino Express Cruiser. I wish I had done this sooner--I love every minute of it!

I can't belive all the stress and bills I left behind in my land lubber home, no lawn to cut, no pool cleaning.etc, etc....and if I have "house work" it's on the boat so that makes it "ok"
Congratulations on your new lifestyle, OTIMO. Have you done any cruising in the past year? I've made the decision to live aboard now that I've retired but I expect I'll be doing a bunch of cruising. Wanderlust, dont ya' know? Enjoy the good life.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 12:45   #19

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Ryder View Post
I've lived aboard since 2006. It's great. Over the years I've either thrown excess stuff out or else given it away. Guess what. Never missed one item, and I still have too much!
I am selling stuff, mostly, but I am selling at stupid prices. Or giving it away. I just sold two desks that I paid over $500 each for, $200 each, with chairs (cost $100 each). I don't care. A friend of mine said she likesd a bakers table I had and asked how much. I figured 1. it was just a table we got because we needed something to hold the TV in our bedroom. 2. It was missing the top part (TV would't fit with the top on.), and 3. It only cost $129 to begin with. I was about to say $25, but I opened my mouth and "Free" came out. Friends come over and I always make them take something. All those "little treasures" that we had put away for when we set up our retirement home are just so much junk. I fill a box with stuff I say I will go over again just before I leave. Walk it out to the garage and before I know it I go out the side door and the box is in the trash. 25 video games gone!

Funny thing, even selling at stupid prices I was able to get enough to buy the trailer, and then some. The lower limit on the boat budget has been growing quit nicely.
Old 14-08-2012, 20:46   #20

Boat: Wellcraft 38 KV Scarab Carver 4207 Aft Cabin

...Going on 2.5 years now! Just upgraded to a Carver 4207----plenty or room and now feel like an Admiral with the queen size bed, walk in shower two full baths, and tons of room--hooked up a big screen DVD and HAVE ZERO PLANS on buying a home again anytime soon! Heck--my next home will be an BIGGER BOAT! HA!
OTIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 04:56   #21

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Getting close to 2 years for us now. We started out on a 25' sailboat, then 5 months ago sold that and bought a 36' trawler. We feel like we are living in a mansion. No plans of ever going back to dirt.
Old 15-08-2012, 07:12   #22

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Been on my 30ft Catalac 900 for just over a year now and never been more comfortable. Once you adjust certain things around the restricted space, you begin to wonder what you ever did in a huge land based property! I have a nice cockpit for entertaining or relaxing (can seat 8 easily), a nice snug saloon to use in the colder days or evenings watching my 32inch TV, a comfy double bed, a galley big enough to cook a proper meal, the ONLY thing i miss is a bathtub to soak in but I have the sea to compensate for that!
Old 15-08-2012, 18:46   #23

Re: Living Aboard My Cruiser . . . Thumbs Up !

I can't wait until I can say that.
-Bruce
Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 21:03   #24

Boat: Wellcraft 38 KV Scarab Carver 4207 Aft Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
I can't wait until I can say that.
-Bruce
It will happen soon enough!

I was laid off from my job as an airline pilot, working a desk in a miserable company in MEMPHIS TN. I HATE MEMPHIS! rymes with Cat-pi$$.....anyway here I was MISERABLE, I hated my life, I rented a crappy home with a crappy landlord--one day I said "FORK IT" and sold everything I had--all my worthless odds and ends, sold the house in Florida, sold all if it....bought a boat and moved to a sunny locale...paid cash for the boat, set myself up so I can work as a bartender if I have to to support myself---got my airline job back and have no plans to become "landlocked" living on a boat has been the HAPPIEST time of my life, great neighbors, friends, even my dog a 100lb labrador loves it!

JUST DO IT....!
OTIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 02:52   #25

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

great story!
Old 16-08-2012, 07:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTIMO View Post
It will happen soon enough!

<--- snip ----->

JUST DO IT....!
Thanks. Your success story is most encouraging. That's one of the main reasons I'm here is to research it out.
-Bruce
Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 16:28   #27

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

I've been aboard 8 1/2 months now and can't imagine going back to a grounded stationery house.

They say 35' is the correct size, I wouldn't know what to do with that extra FOOT.
Old 17-08-2012, 10:04   #28

Boat: 1998 PDQ 36 Capella Classic

Always glad to read an encouraging story of the "dream". We still have 38 months to go (but who's counting!) for the pension to kick in. Until then we are getting rid of all of our stuff/junk (ok, mostly junk) and learning as much as we can. If we by something it is with the question in mind: "Will it go on the boat?". If no, we don't buy it.

The only thing that is going to be really hard to get rid of is the Goldwing! But it's really hard to ride one on the ocean!

Cheers,
Mike
Krakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 18:31   #29

Boat: Heritage East 40
You go Mike!
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 06:03   #30

Boat: 1990 Marine Trader Dbl Cabin 38
We moved aboard over 2-1/2 years ago in a 37 Carver Voyager that we had owned for 9 years. Loved it so much that we bought a 38 Marine Trader trawler 4 months ago. Fixing up the trawler and plan to cruise next year.
S/R Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard, cruiser