Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2010, 12:52   #1

Boat: Sabre 34 Targa - Serendipity
Living Aboard with a Dog

Just had a quick quesiton that some live aboards may be able to help me with. Next summer my husband and I are taking our Sabre 34 Targa out through the Great Lakes and down the east coast to the Bahamas. We'd like to take our dog, an 8 year old greyhound with us, but think we might come into issues with her bathroom needs. We'll probably be stopping 2 or 3 times a day when traveling to take her to shore for walks and bathroom breaks. Has anyone encountered this problem if there are no public areas around? What is the protocol if it's time to go and there are only private homes around?
I would appriciate any help and suggestions.
Jessica
Greyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 12:59   #2

Jess,

We cruise with 2 Westies and we try to take them for emptying in the AM and in the PM, but it may be too long for them. In that case they go on deck (fibreglas and we just clean it up). When it rains we put paper down inside the boat and they will do their business there because they hate going out in the rain.

What I have found trying to tie up for a quickie walk is that people sadly are quite hostile to this and it is surprising as this is rather cruel. It's the private property keep out kinda thing even when all you want to do is tie up and walk the dogs on a public road. We always have those produce plastic bags from the supermarket for their poop.

Occasionally you find people who are not so screwed up, but in the States that is the exception for waterside property owners not the rule.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 13:30   #3

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Just let them poop on the boat.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 13:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I think the biggest problem will be her breaking her legs if the weather gets rough.... dogs have minimum grip when agitated... and Greyhounds are fragile.... as someone stated in another post the claws go on full extension.... maybe you should knock up some non-slip booties for her some she can learn to move around with a little confidence...
You use sure grip shoes on a boat... think of her and give her a coupla pairs..
Be more aware and less selfish....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 14:23   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: DeFever 53 RPH, aCappella
The safest way to go is to train the dog to do its business on your boat. We have watched too many fellow boaters taking down dinghies in bad condition because Fido had to go.

We developed a technique that worked for our first liveaboard dog and have used it on our two current dogs - one of whom we adopted at the age of 9. So much for not teaching old dogs new tricks. We wrote an article which appears on our website:
ActiveCaptain - Dogs on Boats - Canine Crew

You can do it if you just have patience and the reward of having your loved one with you is well worth it. Good luck.
Old 19-11-2010, 14:40   #6

<Be more aware and less selfish....>
I think that was uncalled for. A dog would rather be uncomfortable and with his/her owners than left behind. It isn't selfish to take a dog cruising, it is keeping the family intact. (Thus endeth the sermon for the day. )
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 14:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
<Be more aware and less selfish....>
I think that was uncalled for. A dog would rather be uncomfortable and with his/her owners than left behind. It isn't selfish to take a dog cruising, it is keeping the family intact. (Thus endeth the sermon for the day. )
Sorry if you took offense.... having had dogs (8) in the family when I was a kid in India.... 2 Ridgebacks, 1 Lab, 2 Poodles (mini) and 3 mongrels....I'm well aware of how close one can get... shoot I've cried my eyes out often enough when one has died... as a kid and as an adult...
But lets face it... how often is thought given to the dogs ability to move around on a boat... none.
Its all very well buying a PDF for him... and yes its really funny watching him scrabble and skid round the deck when he gets excited is it not...
but come on.... either rubberize the deck or come up with some form of anti skid so's he can move around with some dignity and safety..
Your careful enough with your human child....
If he's your family...
Where's the harm in what I've said.... or is it a guilt trip...
Thus endith the sermon from the Silly ole Buga...

PS; not trying to be nice... not trying to be nasty... just maybe pointing something out from a dogs perspective... its not his element but he'll wag his tail for you no matter what

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 15:14   #8

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Luckily mine has been on and off board since I got him. He learnt fast that he is allowed to relieve himself up the bow. (Bow wow – especially if you step in it?).

As far as grip is concerned, for peace of mind in rough weather also get him/her a doggy life jacket.

Noting in really bad conditions my little fellow just finds a secure corner of the boat and holds things in. He did have an “accident” the other day, but hey, are any of us perfect?
Old 19-11-2010, 16:26   #9

Boat: Sabre 34 Targa - Serendipity
We spent a few months this summer trying to teach her to go on the boat, and we're planning on having her be able to do so before we leave. We'll probably get a piece of astro-turf or something similar to place at the bow of the boat. We'd just being telling her 'go potty' (a command which we think she understands) while up on the bow, but she's old and stubborn and would hold it until we took her to shore. I've read up on what a few other people have done to get their dogs to go on deck, so we'll start again with her as soon as the boat hits the water in spring. We're planning on getting 'Skipper Bob's' for dog friendly areas, which sounds really helpful. I know my husband has also read up on what we need to take her out of the country, we'll be taking her to a vet in Florida to get her all the proper documents to take her into the Bahamas.

I am planning on getting or making her some kind of bootie as I'm worried how she'll handle some streets and rocky beaches, but would probably be nice for her to have on the boat too. For the most part she's in the cockpit or sleeping below, so I'm not worried about her running around the deck in bad weather. And if all else fails my mother-in-law is more than happy to take her for us while we're away, but we'd like to share the experience with her if we can.
Thanks for all the info so far, I've learned a lot!
Greyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 17:01   #10

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
If it is anything like Australia over there taking her will not be a drama. Excepting bad weather my dog has as much fun cruising as I do. He gets to meet so many other dogs and visit all kinds of places.
Old 19-11-2010, 17:31   #11

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Talking

Both mine, and my dog's life were made better for the cruelty I subjected him too....

....when I submitted him to cruising about my small boat.

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 17:34   #12

Boat: pearson invicta mk2
In my experience, 2dogs aboard-now down to one- , they will use the deck when the alternative is removed...and praise given when they go on deck. It will work for you as it has for others. My decks are heavy non-skid so no slip-n-slide, the cabin sole is teak, finished, and he doesn't slip below. When underway he tucks up in the settee or the pilot berth and there is and has been no issue.
Best wishes w/ training the grey hound to use the deck as the head. David
nico105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 13:45   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: DeFever 53 RPH, aCappella
Greyhound, make sure you check out the Pets fields under ActiveCaptain . Under each marina and anchorage marker there is a section for pets (it's under the Services tab for marinas) where users can enter information about how pet friendly it is. It's best to get the information from actual pets owners who have brought their loved ones to shore. We 've found some great places to take our two for runs and swims.

S/V Faith, I see that you have subjected your beautiful yellow lab to the same tortures that we have ours (http://www.takingpaws.com). Is that what they mean by a dog's life? I want some of that...
Old 23-11-2010, 11:57   #14

Boat: Chrysler Pirateer 13'
My inlaws are live aboards and they have two chihuahuas. (Nowhere near as big as a Great Dane of course). They trained their dogs to go #1 on puppy pads and #2 in a litter box. It can be done! Just takes retraining. They have been living aboard a 44 foot boat for about 2 years now and their system works well for them.

(I'm perusing the thread b/c my husband and I may buy a boat to live aboard at some point.)
Capitana_Chani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 11:58   #15

Boat: Chrysler Pirateer 13'
I just wanted to say that your pics are beautiful s/v 'Faith'!
Capitana_Chani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard