Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 08:18   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Living on legal Mooring while holding a job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut711 View Post
Hello everyone ~ I would like to thank everyone here who took the time to help me with your responses. I appreciate all the good information. I have decided that I will not go out on a mooring and will take the conveniences of a Marina...............
......... Mike
Mike, Let us know about the future boat and marina searches. Keep us posted of your adventures!
Old 08-04-2017, 21:55   #47

You will not get to LEGALLY liveaboard in the SF Bay Area on a 27' boat. It depends upon marina but 30-35' is the min size. We are so inundated with legal and illegal liveaboards here. We don't know your job. That would help us with opinions.

There are no moorings here to rent long term. The bay is also cold at least half the year. The wx in FL is way better for living aboard, imho. Yeah you may want ac (or just tons of fans). But being stuck below on a 27' sailboat on cold windy bay days just doesn't sound doable for me.

I vote for FL. Also, maybe you could consider a camper van too. Liveaboard say 4 days and camper for three? You get around living aboard and kinda anchor out on land (visit friends easier too, parking at their place). I know people who do that (particularly here in SF with few liveaboard slip available).
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:59   #48

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut711 View Post
Hello everyone ~ I would like to thank everyone here who took the time to help me with your responses. I appreciate all the good information. I have decided that I will not go out on a mooring and will take the conveniences of a Marina. I am 56 years of age and had some pretty serious injuries in my life. So, after reviewing all the replies and allowing it all to soak in I know this will be the best choice for me. You all are great. Thank you and enjoy your life on the water! Regards Mike
Just a warning, don't underestimate the injuries you can get from stepping back and forth from a boat to a dock, and slipping. This is particularly true for liveaboards, as you do it so often you take it for granted and get lax. It's mostly an issue on fixed docks vs. floating, as you're often stepping down, or up, and frequently out. It's not going in the water that's an issue, it's hitting something on the way down on the gunwale or dock, like your head or jaw. Always pay attention when stepping aboard, and be deliberate and careful about it.

Not trying to scare you off, just pointing out that those things that you get lax about, particularly on a boat, and come back and bite you harder than you think.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:12   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

death is waiting to grab you off this planet in many ways.
to avoid that which makes you happy because of potential for death is ridiculous.
we all gonna die.
10 out of 10 die.(for you all who need statistics)
cross a city street, go out in dark to a club drinking, drive a car on the city or country roads, fly in an airplane--private or commercial, work for your living---so many ways to die.
choose your method and enjoy living.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 04:31   #50

Boat: Hunter 430

Mike, You might try the Gulf Coast as an option. There are plenty of good jobs especially if you have petroleum related skills, the cost of living is lower than Ca or Fl, and the weather is mild. Plenty of hurricane holes if one decides to come your way and lots of places to anchor or dock at a marina. Good luck!
Operjrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 04:59   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operjrr View Post
Mike, You might try the Gulf Coast as an option.
Oh, the other Gulf Coast! This confused me for a moment because Florida has the largest share of the Gulf Coast among the US states.

I agree that there is less talk of cruising opportunities on the Texas Gulf Coast and the most we hear about is centered around Kemah. Keep us posted about your Texas cruising adventures, anchorages and marinas. I expect the cost of living is more similar to North Florida than South Florida.

Tags
legal, mooring