Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 09:46   #16

Boat: Tashiba-31
Re: Long Distance boat owner

Thanks everyone for the info and assurances. This is untested waters for me and it's always good to get the word from experienced sailors!
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 09:49   #17

Boat: Swan 40; Yankee Dolphin; International Fireball, Naples Sabot; Klepper Kayak with Sail Rig

I talked with a number of marina representatives at the Seattle Boat Show this year that were located in the greater Pudget Sound area. I asked about commutting to the boat and staying aboard and none had any concerns. Also, marinas further from downtown Seattle are more likely to have slips available and lower cost. You can pick something close to the San Juan Islands or if you would like to be close to the airport, consider the Tacoma area.
Good Luck,
Alan
Alan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 10:03   #18

I wouldn't worry about being on the boat for a couple weeks at all. You are not living aboard. Unless you end up in some weird picky marina, but I've not seen that to be a problem anywhere I've been.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 15:57   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I commuted to my boat in Alameda from Kona for several years, free airfare helped. Stayed a week or more at a time once nearly a month. No problems with the marina though they wouldn't give me access to the laundry facilities reserved for live aboards. Did get a snarky comment from the busy body lady who ran the office when I came twice in quick succession and was aboard for most of a month. Talked with the manager afterwards and he said no problem. The key is undoubtedly getting on the good side of thee staff. I took evening walks along the docks and told
The office about boats with issues like SINKING and BADLY FRAYED mooring lines which they appreciated.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 16:04   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Depends on marina and busy body neighbors! But if you don't leave your windsurfer, kayak and bicycle out on the dock, and you don't have laundry and dishes laying around, I'd bet there'll be no problem.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote