Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2021, 00:34   #46

Boat: Bavaria 40 Ocean
Re: Longer Cruising in Europe

Old 04-04-2021, 00:52   #47

Boat: no boat any more

...yes, oh so funny!
I wonder if my other mountainbike friend, who spent his childhood in the GDR would laugh just as much...(not to speak of all the "traitors of the GDR", killed at the border, either by rifle fire , mines or automatic shooting devices...)
seems the Brits have forgotten all those wars with the French in the last 1000 years...
Old 04-04-2021, 03:32   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Longer Cruising in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...yes, oh so funny!
I wonder if my other mountainbike friend, who spent his childhood in the GDR would laugh just as much...(not to speak of all the "traitors of the GDR", killed at the border, either by rifle fire , mines or automatic shooting devices...)
seems the Brits have forgotten all those wars with the French in the last 1000 years...
Hard to do that with the Mini Napoleon ranting and raving just across the ditch..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:27   #49

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

It is a fallacy to blame ALL the Brits for the decision to leave the EU. After all 48% were in favour of staying. In most situations if you wish to change the Articles of a Company you need a 2/3rds majority. In the case of Brexit it was 52% in favour and 48% against. That is hardly decisive. But we now have to make the best of what has become a difficult situation with the application of the 90/180 day rule. Sometime later this year it looks as tough the EU Visa system will go online and become very much like the US ESTA system so a digital record will exist for the EU. Sailing (or owning a house) in the EU will become challenging for non EU members.
Andrew
Old 04-04-2021, 04:48   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

That system is for air travel only just like it is in the USA..
As far as I am aware the 90% of sailing Brits will carry on sailing as normal and make their occasional hops to France, Holland etc as before at the weekends or their fortnight holidays in August..
The 10% who own the seaside floating cottages in the Med will just do what I have to do every three years for the USA.
Spend a few minutes on my laptop filling in a simple form and paying $14 for another 3yrs hassle free access.
Stop making a mountain out of a molehill..

Old 04-04-2021, 09:17   #51

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I hope you are right.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:32   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
It is a fallacy to blame ALL the Brits for the decision to leave the EU. After all 48% were in favour of staying. In most situations if you wish to change the Articles of a Company you need a 2/3rds majority. In the case of Brexit it was 52% in favour and 48% against. That is hardly decisive. But we now have to make the best of what has become a difficult situation with the application of the 90/180 day rule. Sometime later this year it looks as tough the EU Visa system will go online and become very much like the US ESTA system so a digital record will exist for the EU. Sailing (or owning a house) in the EU will become challenging for non EU members.
Andrew
Just out of curiosity...did they conduct 2/3 votes for joining and at every major change in the EU to confirm they want to stay in the EU?

No dog in this fight just curious if this is a convenient requirement you are suggesting. I see similar approach with unions in the USA...just needs a simple majority to get one in place but there is no mechanism to get rid of it...even after all the original voters have long since died off.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:00   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Just out of curiosity...did they conduct 2/3 votes for joining and at every major change in the EU to confirm they want to stay in the EU?

No dog in this fight just curious if this is a convenient requirement you are suggesting. I see similar approach with unions in the USA...just needs a simple majority to get one in place but there is no mechanism to get rid of it...even after all the original voters have long since died off.
No.. There was just a vote to join a Common Market..
Zero confirmation votes for the public as it morphed into a political project and away from the basic Trade Alliance we voted on..
No vote on the Rome Treaty..
No vote on the Maastricht Treaty..
No vote on the Lisbon Treaty..

Old 05-04-2021, 05:17   #54

tabloids stirring up anti-EU resentments:
"Brussel even regulates the curvature of our cucumbers! How idiotic & ridiculous can you get?!!!"
turns out: these standards were demanded by the farmers & the agricultural industry to facilitate automated cucumber-handling & -packaging.
Similar with many other things...
But Britain is welcomed to go back to it's grandiose non-decimal "system" of measurements (America is doing so well with it [oh, wait, NASA...]) just to show it's independence of all continental follies.
BTW: lingua franca in the "Federated states of Europe" would have been English first & French only second..
Old 05-04-2021, 05:52   #55

Double_u, the referendum was a big part a way for the people of the UK how they feel about their overlords, just like the referendum about the nuclear powerplant in Zwentendorf in 78. The actual topic of the referendum became secondary.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:29   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Double_u, the referendum was a big part a way for the people of the UK how they feel about their overlords, just like the referendum about the nuclear powerplant in Zwentendorf in 78. The actual topic of the referendum became secondary.
for youngsters like me (youngsters - then...) it was only about nuclear technology (considered of dubious saftey, not only then...). For us the referendum had nothing to do about how we felt about our overlords. I was 23 then - & considered them all ...(wash-my-mouth-out...) [this point time hasn't changed much for me..].
The start of the Covid pandemic, btw, showed the "quality" of the new, tousle-headed UK-overlord, who played it down (until he himself caught it. A real "quality leader" the UK can be proud of)
Old 05-04-2021, 06:33   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
for youngsters like me (youngsters - then...) it was only about nuclear technology (considered of dubious saftey, not only then...). For us the referendum had nothing to do about how we felt about our overlords. I was 23 then - & considered them all ...(wash-my-mouth-out...) [this point time hasn't changed much for me..].
The start of the Covid pandemic, btw, showed the "quality" of the new, tousle-headed UK-overlord, who played it down (until he himself caught it. A real "quality leader" the UK can be proud of)
Look to your own $h1t show in the Greenhouse before you throw stones..

How many wars have been fought in Europe because of arrogance and complacency..????

Old 05-04-2021, 06:42   #58

1. whataboutims...
2. If one's "own $h1t show in the Greenhouse" is the ruling argument NOBODY could comment on ANY matter in another country. Our forest country citizenship would be the very last to justify any comment on anything, what with the mad post-card painter born here in "our" forests.
"How many wars have been fought in Europe because of arrogance and complacency..????" - if this isn't an argument FOR a strong EU...?
Old 05-04-2021, 07:11   #59

Quote:
for youngsters like me (youngsters - then...) it was only about nuclear technology (considered of dubious saftey, not only then...).
Actually, that wasn't the case, that's just the story told afterwards. In the beginning the Anti-Nuclear-Power faction (which basically led to the birth of the Austria green party as a party to be taken seriously) was considered a mostly harmless lunatic fringe. The referendum was roughly 60% pro nuclear power, 40% against, most of the people moderately in the middle.

Then chancellor Bruno Kreisky stated, he'll step down in case the referendum turns against the powerplant. Once he linked the referendum to himself, many Austrians who didn't really care either way decided to have a look if he really does it....

Like Brexit, with a rather narrow margin it went against the power plant. And in a typical Austrian way, Kreisky didn't step down. Overall a lot less harmless and the government painted themselves green and Austria became a nuclear-power-free the bastion (except for the small reactor in the Prater, in the centre of Vienna)

Back to sailing ...
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:20   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
1. whataboutims...
2. If one's "own $h1t show in the Greenhouse" is the ruling argument NOBODY could comment on ANY matter in another country. Our forest country citizenship would be the very last to justify any comment on anything, what with the mad post-card painter born here in "our" forests.
"How many wars have been fought in Europe because of arrogance and complacency..????" - if this isn't an argument FOR a strong EU...?
Not really when one considers the idiots flexing their muscles coz they are part of a 'Gang of 27' run by a bunch of 'Desk Wallahs' divorced from reality..
That's what killed off the British Empire when Parliament took over the running of India and other colonies sending the idiot third sons out to take over the running of things from the descendants of the founders.. resulting in events like the Amritsar massacre and other atrocities before and after.
When an institution starts beating and killing its people its the beginning of a downwards spiral.

Tags
cruising, Europe, rope