Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 13:39   #1

Looking For A Home

We are in the process of looking for our new home planning to liveaboard but are having problems finding a good location. We would like a large lake with nice winter weather any suggestions (in USA)
asteria76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 16:02   #2

Re: Looking For A Home

Would also consider a river, just not yet ready of coastal cruising
Old 06-06-2018, 03:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, asteria.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:43   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

You might have a look at the Chesapeake Bay as a "large lake" (sorta kinda) with eventual coastal opportunities. Boatloads of decent staging places around here.

I've read Lake Lanier in GA is large.

The whole "Land Between the Lakes" area in Kentucky/etc. seems to get good marks... and I think some of that feeds into the Tenn-Tom so you get "get out" on your own hull if necessary.

-Chris
Old 06-06-2018, 08:07   #5

Thanks, will take a look into your suggestions, we are from the Pacific NW and know little about the other side of the country, a little concerned about hurricanes and tornados, but may have to get over that
Old 06-06-2018, 08:28   #6

There are many, many protected areas on the US east coast. Even areas where you'd be able to weather a 1000-year storm (well maybe more like a 100 or 10 year storm now...?), like Sandy. Other areas would be great for every hurricane except a Sandy-like storm.

Most of these places would require you bringing the boat 30-50 miles up a river or such, but what's the issue there? That's a great day or weekend trip: you'll have plenty of warning for these storms.

I haven't done much coastal cruising on the east coast, but there's thousands of destinations that don't require you to be exceptionally experienced, just prepared + well researched, as you should always be!
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:48   #7

Kentucky and Barkley lake (Land between the lakes) is my current location and it is a great area. You can travel to the gulf via the Tenn Tom (might require the mast to be pulled). We really like the lakes but have always lived near this area so its "home" to us. Winters get cold, but are normally not too bad by most peoples standards. Plenty of room for sailing and lots of bays for anchoring. I've had a few friends that left the area for the Bahamas and most have returned or plan to return when they want to slow down. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I'm sure there are lots of other great options as well.
slowneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:04   #8

Boat: Sportsman 232 Open

We are anxious to visit the Kentucky lakes area on our way south on the Loop. Has always interested me. But too far north for year round having grown up on the grate lakes. No more winters for us. We've been up and down the East Coast. Really drawn to the Beaufort, NC area. Sheltered harbor in back, easy one/two day sails on inland waters to locales of immense charm. River Dunes is a couple hours away and a great hurricane hole. We likely will settle there when we run out of diesel.
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
We are anxious to visit the Kentucky lakes area on our way south on the Loop. Has always interested me. But too far north for year round having grown up on the grate lakes. No more winters for us. We've been up and down the East Coast. Really drawn to the Beaufort, NC area. Sheltered harbor in back, easy one/two day sails on inland waters to locales of immense charm. River Dunes is a couple hours away and a great hurricane hole. We likely will settle there when we run out of diesel.
Nightcrawler. Feel free to look me up if you stop at Green Turtle Bay. I think almost all loopers stop by on their way south.
slowneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:32   #10

Boat: Sportsman 232 Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowneasy View Post
Nightcrawler. Feel free to look me up if you stop at Green Turtle Bay. I think almost all loopers stop by on their way south.
Caution - thread creep. . .thank you sir. We're at the front of the pack, up in Lake Erie pinned down by this #%$! wind. We certainly will be spending time in your area.
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:46   #11

Thanks to everyone, so many fun ideas, will look into them all
Old 06-06-2018, 09:49   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It would help to know more about your intended boat and desired life style.

The North Carolina Sounds have a lot of opportunities.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:22   #13

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Asteria, we purchased our Island Packet in Seattle and moved her over to the Flathead Lake in Montana. We sailed there for 2 years just getting used to living on board for part of the week and sailing her. Then we moved her to Florida where our horizons are a lot broader and we can sail for more months of the year. If you want to stay up in the wonderful PNW, there are many places to enjoy cruising. Then you can decide where you want to go from there.

eta...However, we are really giving Kentucky Lake a look see. Just the trip up the Tenn Tom would be a blast. Perhaps we should plan to spend a summer up there and see if we like it. To tell you the truth, I love sailing on fresh water.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:30   #14

We have looked there too, it is a possibility, we want out of the PNW due to all the rain. we want to winter in a nicer climate, and summer here in PNW
Old 06-06-2018, 10:39   #15

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

While out at anchor, we met a nice couple from your neck o' the woods. They summer up there but live aboard down here (Punta Gorda, Florida) in the winter. It seems to work for them. They do haul out before they go back.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote