Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2012, 17:26   #46

Re: Looking for synergy partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
A single gal on Galveston Island won't be single long.
Eh. NOT looking, NOT interested at this point in my life. 6 -12 months down the road? MAYBE. IF however Mr Right should show up, He best be sure enough to be bringing some 5200 to for my feet and have his storm anchors set good and solid, PLUS. plan on being hove to til he convinces me to go for it. Nothing else has a chance on this hard headed Missouri gal. LOL
Old 22-10-2012, 17:30   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
finding a tow for a 1 ton boat should not be a big issue lol,hell buy yourself a $500 junker with a tow bar and do it yourself!

then all your contacts with the other sex need only be on your own terms!
Thought about that. Tried it before and it turned out to be a good thing I did not try to pull boat, engine ave out with no load.
More I think about it, seems like thing to do is rent house, fix car, get my butt there and rent a room for a couple of weeks til I find something. if bad comes to worse sleep in car. I can deal with v 22 and all this other drama LATER!
Old 22-10-2012, 17:35   #48

Boat: O'Day 28

Thought you were from So Oklahoma. I've only been synergistic with Oklahoma women (think Reba! I do!)

Oklahoman women standing up beat the Texans laying down. Baby. You are starting to look like my next ex wife./
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 17:45   #49

Thumbs up Re: Looking for synergy partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Thought you were from So Oklahoma. I've only been synergistic with Oklahoma women (think Reba! I do!)

Oklahoman women standing up beat the Texans laying down. Baby. You are starting to look like my next ex wife./
Got transplanted 22 years ago. Lived in Tx for a while. Definitely prefer Texas over OK. LOVE REBA! My Impression of her is shes one tough ol gal when need be.
Old 22-10-2012, 18:27   #50

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Try a local truck stop, CB or trucker forum online and ask if anyone is going south bobtail or empty. Explain the situation and you might get a very cheap haul. No truck driver likes to haul an empty load if they can avoid it.

Interesting idea you have, I wish you luck.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 18:33   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Try a local truck stop, CB or trucker forum online and ask if anyone is going south bobtail or empty. Explain the situation and you might get a very cheap haul. No truck driver likes to haul an empty load if they can avoid it.

Interesting idea you have, I wish you luck.

ashamed to admit I did not think of that!
Old 22-10-2012, 18:38   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by useDaGreyMatter View Post
ashamed to admit I did not think of that!
I believe THAT is called synergy.
Old 22-10-2012, 18:41   #53

Quote:
I was being such a smart A$$ that I forgot.

Try your local marina, many have a guy that will haul boats around for a lot less than a national company. The guy up here is nick named "The Boat Doctor" and he is always hauling a boat somewhere, I'm sure there is one down there as well.

That V22 probably weighs less than 5K, so it can be towed with a Silverado or F150 with a V-8.
Old 22-10-2012, 18:44   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Thought about that. Tried it before and it turned out to be a good thing I did not try to pull boat, engine ave out with no load.
More I think about it, seems like thing to do is rent house, fix car, get my butt there and rent a room for a couple of weeks til I find something. if bad comes to worse sleep in car. I can deal with v 22 and all this other drama LATER!

having somewhere sorted to put the boat in galveston//texas before hauling would be a good move,puts the A to B into perspective.

having previously recce'd a place will save a lot of money ,also it will gain you an enterance into sailing circles as a boat owner looking for a perspective berth.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 19:00   #55

Quote:
yep. that's what forums are for. LOL

Old 22-10-2012, 19:20   #56

Boat: O'Day 28

I lived a million years and sailed every day on a O'Day 20 in Fl.

Ah, but I was so much older then/I'm younger than that now
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 20:33   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Let's say for instance, you left your V22 behind, what would your budget be for another starter boat?
It might actually be less than moving your V22 down here.

If your budget is say around $2,000, you can find a starter boat to meet your needs in just a few days. Possibly a MacGregor 25 with an older yet functioning O/B motor.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 03:14   #58

I have also tried to rent vehicles to tow in the past. Most car rental places that rent SUVs say you aren't allowed to tow. Knowing that many larger SUV's come factory with hitches I stalked a few rental places to see what they had and then tried to do some research on what I could rent that would come with a hitch. I obviously wasn't planning on telling them what my plans were. A few problems arose. Many places can't promise you a specific model, just something similar. Also car rental places really charge large amounts for one way rentals.

What's left are outfits that rent moving trucks. Just about every single one of them also rents trailers thus their trucks are always equiped with hitches. Just because they say you can't tow anything but their trailers doesn't mean it can't be done. Years ago Uhaul had some propriotary (sp) hitch stuff so you had to buy their adapters, but I think so many people complained that they did away with it. Now all their stuff is pretty much 2" balls and the standard flat 4 electrical connector. I think the Penske stuff is the same as well.

That's my advice...rent a Penske or Uhaul truck hitch your boat up and off you go. Of course you run a little bit of a risk violating their rules....but there's a little risk in everything in life.
Dubbinchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 11:13   #59

Quote:
I checked with uhaul, budget and Penske, they all tell me if you pull any thing but their trailers your in violation of their contract. If any one knows of a place to rent a tow vehicle that I can do this with PLEASE SING OUT! I even tried the rent a car places for a pick up or van, same deal.
So what? They don't make laws, you won't go to jail, at worst it's a breach of contract, so where is the damage? There is none, for them to do anything about it they will need to suffer a loss, that's a law suit for damages and a civil matter.

Get a truck with a hitch, you don't have to say what you will be hauling, go pick up your boat, drive down there and drop off your boat, then return the truck. Tow it in the daytime, you won't need lights or you could hook up the lights.

Their policy is probably two fold, one it requires you to rent their trailers and two it could be an insurance issue for them, not you.

Ya think the Texas Rangers will come and get you for pulling your trailer with a leased truck? No, they don't enforce company policies, especially obvious policies meant for commercial gains of one party, they could care less.

As to the other, can't you find a friend when you get there with similar interests?

The longer you remain bitter over the past the longer you're going to suffer. Saying one is just a free spirit is another way of saying they are self centered and not very sociable. Assuming you're so good looking that no man could resist trying to get you in the sack right off the bat probably isn't a great approach either. You sure don't give men much credit.

BTW, "your" shows ownership like your hat. "You're" is "you are", so you are wanting to meet someone to help, not "your" wanting something. I know, I've been to Oklahoma!

Hope you get there and find yourself a dream boat!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 11:29   #60

Been studying on all of this. Got a few things left to do on getting ready to leave, but bottom line is am getting v22 organized to go. I'm tired of I'll worry about how I'm going to tow it after I am ready to pull out and just do what I gotta do to get it done! Damned the torpedoes, full steam ahead. I'm doing this come hell or high water!