Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 15:44   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Looky Loos and What to Do About Them

Good lord, where are you people? Is this in the US?
I have never had anything like this happen to me, airplanes at air shows a little as the public is invited in, they paid a fee and therefore think they are entitled or that's my belief. Still better than 99% will look, but not touch.
But I have never had anyone touch my boat uninvited, ever. If I ever find someone aboard, I'm calling the law, they have to be crooks that I caught breaking and entering.
I've left my Penn International 30SW rods and reels in their rod holders for weeks and of course never touched, and those where I am are considered very valuable.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:54   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I thought it was funny that people took photos of me and my dad. We had been out "sailing" in the keys in the summer. Since it was summer there was very little sailing and it was mostly running the engine which just helped heat up the boat which did not need heating since it was summer in south Florida.

We were motoring up the ICW in Ft. Lauderdale heading home and one of the dinner cruise boats went by us. We were tired, had not shaved in a week or so, bathed by bucket or by swimming, and we were hot from a long day in the sun. I doubt we smelled very good. As the tourist boat went by a bunch of people in their AC comfort where taking photos of us. This actually cost them money since it was in the days of film so they had to pay for the film and processing. For the life of me, I don't know why they would take pictures of us and waste the money.

I guess we looked like "real" sailors.

Kinda funny to think we might be in someone's photo album somewhere and that someone has gone through grandma's old photos wondering who are the icky guys in the sailboat.
Here in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, we have plenty of tour boats full of tourists. They are diesel powered borg ships that plow around at 12knots. As a scenic sailboat, we are "the show", and they will often buzz us. I figure the cattle, I mean people on those boats are thinking we are so rich and lucky to have a sailboat and be out sailing in such a beautiful place....so we sometimes give them a real show. We'll go on the foredeck and pretend we are fist fighting, or we'll do a little dance, or my favorite is to pretend to lose my balance and fall overboard....that one always gets them excited. But only on calm days, going slow, with the stern ladder down of course.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 18:08   #33

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
We were on the fuel dock at a rural marina on Lake George in central Florida. It's mostly bass boats. I woke up and was standing naked making my coffee one morning when one of the locals decided to look in the window of our boat. We have curtains but they don't cover 100%.
I know this problem well. Living in the tropics I am rarely fully clothed below deck and fortunately the way my slip is oriented I can even discretely sit in the cockpit and have a cold beer in the evenings without offending anyone. A couple of times someone has wandered right to the end of the pontoon and caught me "au natural" but they quickly retreated thinking I did not notice them.

The ones I really hate is when I am out in a nice secluded and peaceful anchorage and some daytripper on a jetski decides to do circles around the boat with a big silly "look at me" grin on his face. One time I deliberately went up on deck naked. I didn't even have to say anything, they guickly took the hint.
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 19:20   #34

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Is anyone else bothered by tourists walking the dock and feeling very free to climb your boarding steps to get a better look at your deck? Or to peer in your portholes? Or to actually get on deck?

We're pretty big so we're at the commercial dock and they can't lock the gate during the daytime because fishermen and crew need access. Gates are unlocked from approx. 6am to 6pm. I've had very nice people come by and drool over my boat and, of course, they're perfectly welcome and have excellent taste. Then there's the kind mentioned above who will drive me insane.

I chased a couple of men off my neighbor's boat a month ago and they turned to me and very snarkily said "It's such a beautiful day he should be out sailing" as if that was an excuse. Two photographers just came by and not realizing anyone was aboard started up my boarding steps, when I popped up into the cockpit and said "Can I help you?" they got very shirty with me and said "We're taking pictures of your boat" I got kind of shirty myself and said in my haughtiest voice "Surely you can do that from the dock" and off they stomped looking back over their shoulder and most likely casting aspersions on my taste, my upbringing, my Celtic ancestors etc., etc.,

The office knows but can't do anything about it - anybody else solve this problem before I'm carted away?

As always, thanks.
wow. people simply no longer have respect for the property or privacy of others.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 19:28   #35

"Looky Loos and What to Do About Them"

I think I found the answer to this question in another thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...de-163530.html
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 12:57   #36

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

[QUOTE=Island Time O25;2082763]"Looky Loos and What to Do About Them"

Up here (in the way North) we call them Tommy TookaLook's
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 13:56   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Is anyone else bothered by tourists walking the dock and feeling very free to climb your boarding steps to get a better look at your deck? Or to peer in your portholes?

That was your boat ?? Gawd, we are so busted.

A stunning boat, truly, beautiful craftmanship.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 16:48   #38

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Never had that problem, I would guess it's our Midwestern manners.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 17:13   #39

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

We finally got so tired of having uninvited folks just climbing aboard in San Diego that I purchased a Trespassers Will Be Shot sign and put in the swim grid and boarding station. Whenever I heard or felt an wanted vistitor come aboard, just strapped on my 1911 went on deck asked if they could read! They normally left in a big hurry... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 17:25   #40

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
We finally got so tired of having uninvited folks just climbing aboard in San Diego that I purchased a Trespassers Will Be Shot sign and put in the swim grid and boarding station. Whenever I heard or felt an wanted vistitor come aboard, just strapped on my 1911 went on deck asked if they could read! They normally left in a big hurry... Phil
If you actually did that you should expect a visit from the police.
Old 28-03-2016, 17:35   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Looky Loos and What to Do About Them

I bought several very perfect replica guns in Korea, but they shoot those those air soft balls, but are absolutely perfect copies.
I even have an M 206 grenade launcher, it's perfect down to even the trademarks and serial numbers.
I'm sure they are illegal here though. Very likely get you shot.

When I rode bicycles a lot, we used water squirt guns, but filled with ammonia. If somebody actually boarded my boat, I wouldn't feel bad about a squirt of ammonia.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 18:02   #42

Quote:
I've had a CCW permit since they were issued in Nevada in the 80's. In CA all you need to worry about is that your magazine won't hold more than 10! Always left my 17 and 30 mag capacity hidden away, particularly for my AR 15... Phil
Old 28-03-2016, 18:17   #43
vjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I bought several very perfect replica guns in Korea, but they shoot those those air soft balls, but are absolutely perfect copies.
I even have an M 206 grenade launcher, it's perfect down to even the trademarks and serial numbers.
I'm sure they are illegal here though. Very likely get you shot.

When I rode bicycles a lot, we used water squirt guns, but filled with ammonia. If somebody actually boarded my boat, I wouldn't feel bad about a squirt of ammonia.

It's a battery, potentially an aggravated battery if harm done (ammonia in eye) and based on using a weapon depending on how your state statutes run. Misdemeanor to felony charges.

Someone coming on your boat? Trespass, a low level misdemeanor.

Seems like a lot of risk to you.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 18:40   #44

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

I agree with the manners and respect for others, being the issue. Everything is given to them and not earned, so everything is community property.
"They must want us aboard, or they would have stored it in a secure place.!"
We've failed at correcting those, now coming up in the school system. That's why homes you wouldn't live in, get Stainless Steel window screens at tax payer's expense and home owners use fiberglass screens.
I'm too, close to that issue as I've witnessed it and have seen the receipts.
I do like the idea of teaching them the lesson, but the school system is more concerned with the government agendas, and Islamic Awareness. PC and all, don't you know.
"Don't pray, ask your parents if you can attend sexual education, Oh, and by the way, you failed the Islamic Awareness course we never had permission to teach you.!"

Still surrounded by anchors.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 18:58   #45

Quote:
Never a problem... Have a CCW permit and as long as my mag holds less than 10 rounds, no worries! Phil