Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2020, 07:41   #286

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
...I only got into cruising to see new and interesting “shore attractions” ...
Exactly my point. This drives some of your higher costs compared to mine. If someone wants to cruise as you do, then your data may be directly useful, but it is far less so for those who make other choices.

This is why it's close to meaningless to ask about cruising costs in the abstract. The choices of how one cruises make all the difference. And conversely, when one has less to spend, one can make different choices about their cruising.

BTW, and just to state again. It costs me about $23,000 CND each year.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:44   #287

I was reading one thing and seeing some thing else. I read low cost cruising details. What I ended up seeing was cruising and life style expenses.
Yes I could liquidate all assets and cruise on bigger boat, spend more on food and entertainment etc . for the rest of my life. I am not interested in live aboard make believe costs. I don't want or plan on being a live aboard. I just want to live while on board. I don't care about showing everyone that I can spend a lot. Divorced first wife over that.
I am not interested in traveling world wide. I did that in 50's 60's and 70's. I am not interested in off shore cruising / sailing . I can go to gulf sit on dock and look at nothing but water.
I am interested in cruising / not sailing/ along I C W and watching scenery on shore. I don't want to speed through . I want to go slow and watch. I also want to do this as frugal as possible. Not because I have to, because I want to. It is my life style.
I looked at this thread to see about hints for ( LOW COST CRUISING DETAILS )
Sorry but costs of food and entertainment is not cruising. It is life style. If I went out and spent a lot of money to see anything , it would not be a cruising expense. It would be a sight seeing expense. I was told that cruising was on water. So on shore expense don.t count as cruising expenses.
Biggest thing I learnt from here is to cut cost ,keep a low cost cruise is. Don't go ashore, Thanks Lee
Old 07-03-2020, 09:51   #288
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is why it's close to meaningless to ask about cruising costs in the abstract.
That's just BULL because for some reason you just want to blow off the question. Why are you even posting on the thread other than to say costs are meaningless?

To provide info you post them and give some background. For example, we now know your costs are really to just live on a boat and not really go anywhere. Now people know a cost for that example.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:18   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
That's just BULL because for some reason you just want to blow off the question. Why are you even posting on the thread other than to say costs are meaningless?

To provide info you post them and give some background. For example, we now know your costs are really to just live on a boat and not really go anywhere. Now people know a cost for that example.
Don, I really don't understand why you are so argumentative and abrasive all the time. I'm sorry if I'm not like you with regard to the whole posting expenditures thing. Apparently only one other person is (as you've said).

You keep tossing insults and telling me to shut up, or that I'm uttering BS. Why not try and listen for a change. Maybe you'll actually learn something, instead of simply coming here to have your own ideas affirmed.

If you read what I've written, and not just impose what you want to read, you'll see I've provided ample detail of what I've done. Again, if you actually read instead of leapt to the anger button, you'd know this.

ADD: I am here because, unlike you, I actually live the low cost cruising life. I really don't know why you're here, except you're bored. Unless, of course, you really are getting nervous about the tanking stock market (which I hope is not the case).
Old 07-03-2020, 10:49   #290
CLOD

Boat: none

Why dont you take your own advise for once. Am i somehow making you post?

And why yes YOU certainly aren’t trying to be insulting are you? That is the only real reason you are on the thread. Thats called a word I am not allowed to use.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:48   #291

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You know what? A64 nailed it earlier. The guys who are cruising, and day to day focused, are doing a lot of barter; they're getting clothes from thrift shops if they have the $$, or churches, but they are mostly not really ragged, except their work clothes. We used to brag that we "wear our rags". There is a good deal of pride to be had when you really work at being frugal, when one has next to nothing, and you're surviving. One may also have some class prejudice going on.

IMO, Mike's not here to belittle you. He's a different kind of frugal than the subsistance sailor. He's spending ~$23,000 CN /yr. In terms of much of the world, that's rich! And, if he is happy with his lifestyle, we should be congratulating him, not bickering.

You spend more, and you live as you please. We should be congratulating you, too. You set out to be a cruiser in your own way, and you have succeeded, too. I hope happiness has not eluded you. No one's scolding you for your success , although you took some flak in the early days from people who were surprised at expenditures which exceeded theirs. Most cruising people do the same: live as they please, within their means. People spend for things, what they think the things are worth, and many have outdated ideas about "how much" some "things " should cost, and what percent of their budget should be "entertainment" [read "shoreside attractions"] "should" be.

Quite honestly, I think health is the major concern. If A64's thought is correct, that you have financial concerns that were not troubling you 4 yrs. ago, and that's creepy to have happen, but you're a smart guy, you'll figure out how to survive, as long as you have health.

Wishing everyone good health,

Ann
Old 07-03-2020, 13:14   #292

Thanks Ann. Well said, as usual.

I actually wish this thread could get back to discussing "low cost cruising details." Budgets and finances are useful, but there's a much broader range of topics and ideas that we could be discussing. That's why I'm here.

Thrift shops -- love them! I haven't bought anything new in years (although I was given a gift of clothes last x-mas).

Actually, that brings to mind a sub-topic I've been pondering: How much clothes do cruisers own?

I own four pairs of pants (five if you count my foulies), eight shirts, and enough underwear and socks to go about three weeks between laundry. But you probably don't want to get too close to me near the end of those three weeks . I have two pairs of shoes, one pair of deck fouly boots, a couple of jackets, and four fleeces of varying thicknesses.

I guess it's on my mind b/c I'm currently house sitting at a place where the walk-in closet is larger than my boat, and it is packed to the rafters with clothes. They must have a hundred changes of clothes, with as many shoes. And this is a home for two people!
Old 07-03-2020, 13:26   #293

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

We used to cruise on $1000 CAD a month, on a Hughes 35, from 1994 to 2001, then at $1400 a month, on a Corbin 39, from 2001-2009. At the moment, we're not quite cruising, and spending near $10,000 a month to finish the boat. I trust that'll go down soon.

When Mike says it costs what you have, (and I've skipped 6 pages of thread, so I might be repeating things here) he means that a person will make their cruising lifestyle match their funds. There is a minimum amount money, I suppose, but it's highly dependent (like Mike said) on your destination, choice of boat, size, age, equipment, and on how you maintain your boat. Those who are happy with cobbled parts, or stuff from the bin, will cruise much more cheaply than those who must shop at the marine store.

When we were cruising on $1000 a month, there were some folks I knew cruising on $500, and many cruising on $2000 or more a month.

We had a vhf, handheld gps, solar panels, autopilot, windvane, old, salvaged charts, and a fridge. That's pretty much it. I fixed EVERYTHING on the boat, we rarely did much ashore, and never stayed in a marina. We had fun, mostly with other cruisers. I think, those who think cruising is wasted time, if you're not going ashore to see the sights, are a little closed minded. We can all enjoy life/cruising at our own financial levels. It's usually a matter of attitude.

I don't have my budget books anymore, but these were "hard" figures, not estimates. I can tell you this, because that's what I had available to spend.

On our future cruise, we'll probably see more stuff on land, because we can; but I hope to meet other folks (cruisers or otherwise) who know how to have a good time with folks, without the "touristy" stuff. A game of cards, some chatting in the cockpit, a fire on the beach, helping each other fix our boats, or plan future trips, sharing knowledge, fishing, snorkling... The list goes on.

I don't know what our budget will be, yet, but there'll be a budget, and we'll stick to it.

Cheers all.
Paul.

PS. Mike, we hope to hit NL next summer (2021), if you're still there, we'd love to meet. This summer is filled with installing mast, sails, deck gear... you name it. We're going to be a SAIL boat!!! And for those further afield... we'll see you "out there" too.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 14:13   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
We used to cruise on $1000 CAD a month, on a Hughes 35, from 1994 to 2001, then at $1400 a month, on a Corbin 39, from 2001-2009. At the moment, we're not quite cruising, and spending near $10,000 a month to finish the boat. I trust that'll go down soon.

When Mike says it costs what you have, (and I've skipped 6 pages of thread, so I might be repeating things here) he means that a person will make their cruising lifestyle match their funds. There is a minimum amount money, I suppose, but it's highly dependent (like Mike said) on your destination, choice of boat, size, age, equipment, and on how you maintain your boat. Those who are happy with cobbled parts, or stuff from the bin, will cruise much more cheaply than those who must shop at the marine store.
Nicely put Paul. Exactly right

Quote:
We had a vhf, handheld gps, solar panels, autopilot, windvane, old, salvaged charts, and a fridge.
Hey! How'd you know my boat? You're describing it almost to a tee -- all except the fridge. We splurged and installed a new one last season. Lovin' the cold beer (and low amp-hrs).

Quote:
PS. Mike, we hope to hit NL next summer (2021), if you're still there, we'd love to meet.
Love to meet up Paul. At this point we're still planning to be there. We sailed around the northern peninsula last season (~800 NM), but this year don't plan to go anywhere in particular. Just explore the hundreds of islands, bays and fjords of Notre Dame Bay. I'm looking forward to lots of icebergs!

Actually, if we do anything it might be to head up to Labrador and perhaps Greenland in 2021 -- but who knows.
Old 07-03-2020, 15:17   #295

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
I was reading one thing and seeing some thing else. I read low cost cruising details. What I ended up seeing was cruising and life style expenses.
Yes I could liquidate all assets and cruise on bigger boat, spend more on food and entertainment etc . for the rest of my life. I am not interested in live aboard make believe costs. I don't want or plan on being a live aboard. I just want to live while on board. I don't care about showing everyone that I can spend a lot. Divorced first wife over that.
I am not interested in traveling world wide. I did that in 50's 60's and 70's. I am not interested in off shore cruising / sailing . I can go to gulf sit on dock and look at nothing but water.
I am interested in cruising / not sailing/ along I C W and watching scenery on shore. I don't want to speed through . I want to go slow and watch. I also want to do this as frugal as possible. Not because I have to, because I want to. It is my life style.
Sorry but costs of food and entertainment is not cruising. It is life style. If I went out and spent a lot of money to see anything , it would not be a cruising expense. It would be a sight seeing expense. I was told that cruising was on water. So on shore expense don.t count as cruising expenses.
Biggest thing I learnt from here is to cut cost ,keep a low cost cruise is. Don't go ashore, Thanks Lee
Very well said.

I'd like to cruise part of the year and maybe hike,cycle, workout and run for another part of the year.

To display the costs of cruising to a tourist area seems very strange. We all know it's going to be much more expensive.

Obviously it can been done for much less without having to anchor along with 10 or more boats. Why would folks that want to be out cruising all go to the same spot?
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 15:39   #296

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Obviously it can been done for much less without having to anchor along with 10 or more boats. Why would folks that want to be out cruising all go to the same spot?
Here's another difference between part time/weekend cruisers and long term cruisers:

When you live ashore most of t he time, working full time, surrounded by the urban chaos of modern life, then when out for short cruises it is understandable to seek isolation. I remember well being in that situation before we left for good.

But when you have been out for a while... weeks or months... living in relative or absolute isolation, seeking out some company is not unreasonable. We have often found ourselves in such a condition. In fact, right now we're in Port Cygnet participating in the annual Cygnet regatta. Lots of boats, lots of people, lots of activities... good fun for a few days.

When it is over, we will likely head out to a quiet anchorage to regroup and rest up.

Mike O sounds like he prefers isolation for longer periods than us... a matter of personal desires. Some others like to travel in hordes (sometimes known as rallies) and never escape the crowd. Not our cuppa at all, so there's a lot of variation in cruising style, even amongst full timers. And the fact that the lifestyle can accommodate such variety is one of the big attractions IMO.

Jim
Old 07-03-2020, 15:41   #297
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Love to meet up Paul. At this point we're still planning to be there. We sailed around the northern peninsula last season (~800 NM), but this year don't plan to go anywhere in particular. Just explore the hundreds of islands, bays and fjords of Notre Dame Bay. I'm looking forward to lots of icebergs!

Actually, if we do anything it might be to head up to Labrador and perhaps Greenland in 2021 -- but who knows.

The high today was 76f and I had a long sleeve shirt on. You have my respect! 🥶
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 16:12   #298

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
I think that's a bit of a twisted outlook, Lee, and sort of grumpy. Apparently what you would like to see are tips that are valuable to you to reduce your INCEMENTAL costs of cruising. You're complaining that people's records include lifestyle expenses. Well, cruising is a lifestyle. What does it cost?

Most folks contemplating cruising want to know what it might cost them, in TOTAL (because none of their costs are likely to remain the same as living ashore). So costs of food, entertainment, boat maintenance, fuel, everything that other people have been spending, are germane.

Sailorboy1's original post and request for examples is pretty useful. Your idea about what cruising means to you is less so to most other potential cruisers.
Old 07-03-2020, 16:34   #299

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Hey! How'd you know my boat? You're describing it almost to a tee -- all except the fridge. We splurged and installed a new one last season. Lovin' the cold beer (and low amp-hrs).

I hear ya. I single handed for 4 years, before having a fridge... It came with my new girlfriend, now wife. But it was sure nice, once we got it. Her too, obviously!

Yes, plans written in mud, at the tide-line.... Ours too! I'll be keeping my eye out for you though.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 16:47   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The high today was 76f and I had a long sleeve shirt on. You have my respect! 🥶
Truth be told, I'm like the wicked witch of the west when it come to heat.

I'm completely useless in hot weather. To me, anything above 25C is Waaay Tooo Hot! So it is you who is the brave one in my books.

Tags
cruising