Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 04:03   #121

Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
With regard to claims about the poor, I think it is dangerous to stereotype or generalize. Most poor people are poor because they don't make enough money in the job(s) they have. And most have been dealt an unlucky hand to begin with, just like most rich people were dealt a lucky one.
I agree it's dangerous to stereotype... that most poor people are poor because of bad LUCK and it's out of their control. It's easy to undermine their work ethic that way because they believe everything is out of their control and they become trapped in the thought process.

PS: They guy making $200k per year but living paycheck to paycheck never saving is also poor and subject to similar thought processes when their poor habits come home to roost and result in them becoming poor as a great many eventually do.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:23   #122

Quote:
Agreed. Just like running a marathon is not hiking, even if the routes are the same. Different activity. Different foundational principles.

Cruising means a lot of different thing to different people. But surely as a basis it must involve travelling in a boat that is self-sufficient for at least a few days, and more likely weeks or months.
agreed --partly
1959 I cruised local town in 1957 Chevy. I never forget that cruising.
Now I cruise in my boat. Even if only across lake a couple of miles. When cruising to another location couple days away , I am still cruising. IF I COULD SAIL, I would be sailing .
Distance is not relevant unless describing how and what it is like to go the distance. I plan a 6000 mile cruising trip. I plan to make it for a year. At distance of about 50 miles a day. Never sailing . very little off shore.
Will I make it ? If I live long enough. But while getting every thing to gether I still enjoy my little cruises. Lee
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:40   #123

Quote:

I am amused by the apparent increasing popularity of rallies. Even on Lake Superior they held one. I've never had any interest in such a thing. I guess I can understand the attraction, but to me it seems weird and unappealing.
I can see, as a seasoned cruiser, you would not be interested in rallies. As a new cruiser, I've followed the Suzie II rally in the Caribbean, through Rick Moore's youtube channel, and think that it would be a good way to learn new cruising grounds, have experienced cruisers to ask for advice on customs and cultural etiquette in different countries and to make long lasting connections with other cruisers. Something I would only do once, if at all. Bit of thread drift here now. Back on subject, we have not kept a tally of our cruising costs. We avoid marinas when possible, but still end up spending too much on shoreside attractions (mostly restaurants). We are trying to limit ourselves to one restaurant meal per week and avoid nightlife as we don't want to be dinghy-ing after dark. We are still making this boat "our own" so there is still a lot of money going out on upgrades, so until that stabilizes, we won't really have a cruising budget.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:18   #124

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
agreed --partly
1959 I cruised local town in 1957 Chevy. I never forget that cruising.
Now I cruise in my boat. Even if only across lake a couple of miles. When cruising to another location couple days away , I am still cruising. IF I COULD SAIL, I would be sailing .
Distance is not relevant unless describing how and what it is like to go the distance. I plan a 6000 mile cruising trip. I plan to make it for a year. At distance of about 50 miles a day. Never sailing . very little off shore.
Will I make it ? If I live long enough. But while getting every thing to gether I still enjoy my little cruises. Lee
Hmmm, I assume your '57 Chevy is a car. "Cruising" as it relates to cars, is not the same as "cruising" as it relates to boats, at least not how it's intended here on "Cruisers Forum."

But to be clear, I don't think cruising = sailing. There are lots of cruisers in powerboats (and indeed, a lot of powerboats with sticks that seem to rarely carry sails). I don't try and define "cruising" very tightly. I don't think distance is a useful measure, nor do I think only sailors can be cruisers.

But surely it must mean something. To me it means traveling in a boat that is capable of being self-sufficient for at least a few days, if not weeks or months. And that boat is intended to be run by a smallish crew. Otherwise, any boat is a cruising-level boat, from a rubber duckie raft, to the Queen Mary II. Which renders the term rather meaningless.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:48   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
I can see, as a seasoned cruiser, you would not be interested in rallies. As a new cruiser, I've followed the Suzie II rally in the Caribbean, through Rick Moore's youtube channel, and think that it would be a good way to learn new cruising grounds, have experienced cruisers to ask for advice on customs and cultural etiquette in different countries and to make long lasting connections with other cruisers. Something I would only do once, if at all. Bit of thread drift here now.
Like I said, I can understand the attraction. It just holds no appeal to me. I don't think it's directly related to how experienced one is. I think it has to do with personality and how one likes to cruise.

The things I really dislike about the idea of rallies (I've never actually gone with one) is that you are no longer traveling on your own schedule. And when I cruise, it's to get away from crowds, not take a crowd with me everywhere I go. And this crowd can get in the way of making connections with the actual people in the places you're visiting. It's my observation that rally people tend to stick to themselves. Plus, all the "group" socializing makes me feel exhausted just thinking about it. I guess I'm the classic introvert in that way .

As Ann said earlier, the safety factor is largely an illusion. And as for advice, you don't need to be part of a rally to talk to fellow cruisers. Heck, that's what CF is for .

Not trying to dissuade you from doing what feels right. Just explaining my own dislike of the whole idea.

Quote:
Back on subject, we have not kept a tally of our cruising costs. We avoid marinas when possible, but still end up spending too much on shoreside attractions (mostly restaurants). We are trying to limit ourselves to one restaurant meal per week and avoid nightlife as we don't want to be dinghy-ing after dark. We are still making this boat "our own" so there is still a lot of money going out on upgrades, so until that stabilizes, we won't really have a cruising budget.
Sounds like you're well on the way. It's a grand life, and there's no one way to do it. If rallies feel right, then go for it .
Old 03-03-2020, 06:54   #126

Quote:
If rallies feel right, then go for it .
I would consider it, but I think the sticker shock cost of joining one would dissuade me!
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:57   #127

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Where are you heading when you leave Hawaii??
North to Alaska, then down the inland waterway, south along the west coast of USA and next hurricane season in Sea of Cortez - after that?

We have no plan and - by golly - we're gonna stick to it!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:03   #128

Quote:
I would consider it, but I think the sticker shock cost of joining one would dissuade me!
Yes... there's that too. Given that this is a "low cost cruising" thread, this might be the real answer. Rallies are too expensive. Or rather, there are better ways to spend this money -- like good beer .
Old 03-03-2020, 07:44   #129

Quote:
Hmmm, I assume your '57 Chevy is a car. "Cruising" as it relates to cars, is not the same as "cruising" as it relates to boats, at least not how it's intended here on "Cruisers Forum."

But to be clear, I don't think cruising = sailing. There are lots of cruisers in powerboats (and indeed, a lot of powerboats with sticks that seem to rarely carry sails). I don't try and define "cruising" very tightly. I don't think distance is a useful measure, nor do I think only sailors can be cruisers.

But surely it must mean something. To me it means traveling in a boat that is capable of being self-sufficient for at least a few days, if not weeks or months. And that boat is intended to be run by a smallish crew. Otherwise, any boat is a cruising-level boat, from a rubber duckie raft, to the Queen Mary II. Which renders the term rather meaningless.
we agree -- partly
diferant types of cruising --cars, sailboats, powerboats.

I don't think cruising =sailing agreed

capable of being self-sufficient for a least a couple days. Well I still think a quick cruise across lake is a cruise. I don't drive it , can't walk it . Doesn't sound right to say I floated it. So to me it is still a cruise just short one. Sorry about distance again.

And this brings me to the Queen Mary II. How does a ocean liner or a cruise ship load all its passengers and set sail for next port. I hear it all time just don't understand. or sail off into sunset.
Lee
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:56   #130
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Well there's always the Jester.. that costs not a penny to enter but.. you must be Solo..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

A Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:01   #131

Quote:

I'm not a joiner either, but did the Baja Ha Ha on a friend's boat several years ago. I see entry fee is $495. Aside from all the obvious benefits, this particular rally (San Diego to Cabo San Lucas - 800 nms with two stops along the way) gives West Coast cruisers a firm date to plan their getaway. You know the old saying: the most difficult leg of a cruise is the first boat-length.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:13   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Well I still think a quick cruise across lake is a cruise. I don't drive it , can't walk it . Doesn't sound right to say I floated it. So to me it is still a cruise just short one. Sorry about distance again.
lee that would ( I think ) comes under the heading of a booze cruise .

When you are at a destination and take the dink out for a sundowner cruise around the anchorage or lake just for fun.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:17   #133

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Except you and everyone reading knows that this is not what cruising us about. So why do you continually try and paint cruisers this way?

Another suggestion, why not create a sticky under the beach cat sailing forum and just refer people to your resume instead of putting it in every post?
He just dislike and belittles anyone that would include the ICW and Bahamas in there cruising plans, it looks more and more like a jealousy thing. As to your suggestion, Very likely his ego won’t allow for it, if you go back and read his past posts concerning cruising it appears he just can’t help himself, What ever you post he will respond with, what ever you doing is wrong, and how beach cat racing experience is more important than what ever you were posting about. It may be a DK syndrome thing. The benefit is you know the answer to any question before asking it...��
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:32   #134
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
No it's not but it is time on the water in conditions most wouldn't sail in IF they had a choice.
incorrect most of us will happily tic off the miles offshore in weather that something like your beloved beach cats ( which are not designed for anything but kids to have fun and get bitten by the sailing bug ) they are fun and it does get fresh blood into sailing but you would be praying to Neptunis Rex for calmer weather.

Btw I own 2 MORC boats big deal .
Old 03-03-2020, 08:34   #135

Quote:
...capable of being self-sufficient for a least a couple days. Well I still think a quick cruise across lake is a cruise. I don't drive it , can't walk it . Doesn't sound right to say I floated it. So to me it is still a cruise just short one. Sorry about distance again.
Well, I guess you can call it whatever you want. I'd call it boating, or to be specific motorboating, or sailing. Certainly not cruising. Seems to me by your definition, everything is cruising as long as it's done in something that floats. Not a very useful definition.

... but whatever floats your boat

Tags
cruising