Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2024, 08:48   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Marathon Florida anchorage ?

Quote:
Everything within the reef is pretty calm most of the time.
Sure, but if you have no engine and can't easily and quickly move you will find that some of the time it is nasty out there. IMHO when anchored in the Keys you need to be prepared for wind from all 360 degrees, plus the potential for strong thunderstorms or tornadoes. I've rotated around several circles in one day with shifting winds from all directions.
Old 28-02-2024, 08:57   #17

Boat: Downeaster 38

And shallow… use a lot of caution in a keel boat when navigating outside of the channel.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 23:34   #18

Boat: Capital Yachts, Newport 30 mk3, 30'

untie your boat… float away from the dock…. call Seatow… you are no longer at a dock as per the agreement
HippieTye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 07:57   #19

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieTye View Post
untie your boat… float away from the dock…. call Seatow… you are no longer at a dock as per the agreement
Is anyone else uncomfortable with the undertones of this thread?

Of course SeaTow and TowBoat US will tow you anywhere you need to go. Today. You just have to pay for it. To me, getting towing insurance on a disabled boat, then calling for a distress tow would be fraud. That's why the 60 and 90 day limits. You might find more restrictions in the fine print. As a rate-paying customer, I certainly hope so!

Likewise locations to do mechanical work. Plenty of marine businesses who will rent you a slip, and even do the work. For a fee. And, yes, they're going to want to be sure that someone is paying for liability insurance on the boat. Just as all responsible cruisers do.

Jut to be clear, I'm as much of a cheapskate as anyone. I'd much rather anchor out than pay for a mooring or slip. I do all I can to maintain my boat myself. I'm impressed by those who've found a way to cruise on an even thinner budget than mine, and wish them all the best.

I only start to draw the line when it negatively impacts others, such as the long-term squatters filling up otherwise useful anchorages, uninsured boaters leaving a financial mess for others to clean up, or outright fraud.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 09:01   #20

Boat: Downeaster 38

We see lots of people anchoring overnight inside the reef when down there.

For multi day I believe the city marina has an anchorage or mooring field.

Or just anchor somewhere until they run you off
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 10:13   #21

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieTye View Post

Sea tow will not provide coverage for voyages that are initiated without working auxiliary propulsion.
Old 08-05-2024, 19:58   #22

Boat: Capital Yachts, Newport 30 mk3, 30'

you say fraud like you just found out who killed Kennedy… what you don’t realize is that (strictly speaking as a former “ tow company” captain, that what I outlined “todo” happens every day. i’m not condoning it, but with the ridiculous prices both major towing companies charge… i understand it… and why shouldn’t the guy be allowed to be towed off of a dock… he’s not derelict, he’s broken down…. so go ahead and jump up there and try to make something out of nothing at all…. NEXT!!!
HippieTye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 04:17   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Use St. Brendan's Isle for that.
Not sure this works anymore, my parents were FL "residents" with no FL property for almost 20 years with St. Brendan's Isle. Last year when they went to renew their drivers license the FL DMV said that they were no longer accepting St. Brendan's as an address and that they would need to have proof of a local street address.
jeffandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 05:02   #24

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Not sure this works anymore, my parents were FL "residents" with no FL property for almost 20 years with St. Brendan's Isle. Last year when they went to renew their drivers license the FL DMV said that they were no longer accepting St. Brendan's as an address and that they would need to have proof of a local street address.
SBI has a whole web page on how to do it all. I would suggest they might be best off contacting SBI for their latest recommendations on how to handle it all, and it might be best to go to the Clay County offices where they are familiar with SBI. Still, the easiest and best way to establish your domicile is to use a friend's or relative's address in the location you desire. Use a legitimate residential street address so it doesn't get flagged by DMV and others as a commercial address.

https://www.sbimailservice.com/becom...r-registration

Tags
anchor, florida