Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2012, 11:22   #16

Re: Marina liveaboard advice needed, Magothy river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
In my marina the water is free. Whether it comes out of the hose and into the tanks of a 50 footer or out of the shower head in the marina restroom makes no difference. Electricity is metered. Laundry is coin-op. I'm not following you're logic on this one?
Because if you're using the marina shower, someone also has to clean that building regularly, and heat the water, and change the toilet paper, ...
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 08:12   #17

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26' (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
On the contrary, they are giving you a break for having a smaller boat, even though you use the same slip space as a 28, 30, or 32' boat would. Basically you're getting the "poor rate" for no other reason than you have a small boat. The would definitely make more money on a larger boat in that same space. Honestly, I've never understood foot pricing, unless you actually received that much dockage.
Well, I do understand pricing. Where this boat is located is in a slip that couldn't hold a boat any larger or wider than a 30' boat. The slips are all empty where it is currently located, because nobody wants their boats there. I would fully understand if I was paying top dollar for a premium full size slip with easy egress to the river. Or even a slip in a much better location. But this is located in a corner of the marina where you have to basically find your way through a maze to get out.

Actually I could move to a premium slip for the same price, but I shouldn't have to, especially if I am not moving it for six months. Slips that nobody wants or has much use for should be cheaper. Why else would they be the only ones empty?

I guess you could call me savvy, I wont be paying more if I don't have to. Most likely I will be moving it somewhere else that has better cheaper slips. The reason I understand this marina commands higher prices is it is protected and is also one of the ones with closest access to the bay.
Old 23-11-2012, 08:43   #18

Boat: Cal 2-27

Look at this place

Middle Branch Marina
Old 23-11-2012, 10:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
Look at this place

Middle Branch Marina

Thanks,

I just called them and when they told me the price, I had to ask again if I had heard that right. It would be $75 per foot per year. I had never heard it priced in that fashion, also liveaboard fee would be $65 per month.

So, $1950 for the slip
$780 liveaboard fee

For a total of, $2,730 WOW. It almost sounds too good to be true but the owner was really nice on the phone.

It sure beats $5,388!

I will find out more details on it before spring, thanks for all the reply's.

-TD
Old 23-11-2012, 21:39   #20

Boat: Tartan 30

Just keep in mind that's probably with a year lease. Good option if you know you'll be staying that long.

I found that when I got to this town, there were a few marinas I didn't know about from shopping online and cold calling. And that most of the marinas that explicitly say no liveaboards, were full of liveaboards. I stayed in one marina for a few weeks but quickly found a few much better priced and liveaboard friendly marinas by word of mouth that I wouldn't have otherwise found just by asking online. Usually the best ones are kept slightly secret.

It's all definitely area specific though. Prices change quite a bit just a few miles away. And a few of them around here are pretty crappy and not even worth the cheaper price. I thought $100/mo liveaboard fee (pretty standard where I'm at) wasn't my thing, but I'd gladly pay it now, if I had to, to stay in a decent place.
Old 24-11-2012, 07:36   #21

Boat: Cal 2-27

check out anchoragemarina.com.

The marina I had sent you to must have had outdated prices on their site. The fees for my 27 foot boat would be like 1k based on their advertised prices...after looking, it looks like they were advertising prices from 2006....i would not pay 2500+ dollars to live there....try anchoragemaina as the ammenities are much more than that other marina...I sent you there because the published prices were way lower, but turned out not to be true...sorry bout that.
Old 24-11-2012, 09:06   #22

Quote:
Just keep in mind that's probably with a year lease. Good option if you know you'll be staying that long.

I found that when I got to this town, there were a few marinas I didn't know about from shopping online and cold calling. And that most of the marinas that explicitly say no liveaboards, were full of liveaboards. I stayed in one marina for a few weeks but quickly found a few much better priced and liveaboard friendly marinas by word of mouth that I wouldn't have otherwise found just by asking online. Usually the best ones are kept slightly secret.

It's all definitely area specific though. Prices change quite a bit just a few miles away. And a few of them around here are pretty crappy and not even worth the cheaper price. I thought $100/mo liveaboard fee (pretty standard where I'm at) wasn't my thing, but I'd gladly pay it now, if I had to, to stay in a decent place.
Well, my biggest requirement would be to be in walking distance of shops and in an area that I can find work. I want to bring my bicycle but I dont know if that will be possible. I already scrapped the portabote with a small outboard and opted for a NRS hapalon kayak. After much pondering and measuring, having a portabote on a 26' boat is idiotic. I think you would like it. I am still trying to save room for that bicycle!

So you are saying you don't like the marina you are living at? You have to fill me in on that sometime.

Thanks for all of the helpful reply's, I wont be moving marinas till about June so I have lots of time to think about it.
Old 24-11-2012, 11:10   #23

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper dan View Post
Well, my biggest requirement would be to be in walking distance of shops and in an area that I can find work. I want to bring my bicycle but I dont know if that will be possible. I already scrapped the portabote with a small outboard and opted for a NRS hapalon kayak. After much pondering and measuring, having a portabote on a 26' boat is idiotic. I think you would like it. I am still trying to save room for that bicycle!

So you are saying you don't like the marina you are living at? You have to fill me in on that sometime.

Thanks for all of the helpful reply's, I wont be moving marinas till about June so I have lots of time to think about it.
No no, I love my marina. $7.25 per foot (30 foot min), no liveaboard fee, metered electric, decent bath houses, swimming pools, tiki bar, restaurant, ships store, beach across the street, easiest access to the bay in all of hampton roads.
Best. marina. ever.

Makes it kinda hard to leave, actually

I was talking about some of the other marina's in the area. A few of my friends stay in a really crappy marina because it's right downtown and they don't own cars. But it's really only about 2 miles from where I'm at by road and I still have grocery and everything within 1 mile. I think they are confused... Being close to work is pretty important, but a few miles on a bike is nothing.
Old 27-11-2012, 23:27   #24

Boat: CSY33

It pays to walk around a marina and chat up the people there. I met a guy who was leaving the next day and found out what he paid for his slip. Went to the office and asked tgo rent it. They quoted me a price much higher. But knowing what he was paying I got it down to that rate. Most any marina office will quote you rate card first. But given the many vacant slips at many marina's they will often come down in negotiation.

Similarly they will say "no liveaboards" but in fact there may be many. Just don't advertise that you are. Some people are lucky that they can visit their boats often.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 20:47   #25

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
I was talking about some of the other marina's in the area. A few of my friends stay in a really crappy marina because it's right downtown and they don't own cars. But it's really only about 2 miles from where I'm at by road and I still have grocery and everything within 1 mile. I think they are confused... Being close to work is pretty important, but a few miles on a bike is nothing.
Is it about work, or about nightlife? Steady access to stylish or active bars, restaurants, and shopping means a lot to some people, and is worth the lifestyle cost of being close to downtown.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:11   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Is it about work, or about nightlife? Steady access to stylish or active bars, restaurants, and shopping means a lot to some people, and is worth the lifestyle cost of being close to downtown.
The night life and bars are not important. But I do like the idea of delis, ethnic food stores, the bicycle trails and like minded healthy folk. I have a nice truck, but that doesn't fit into the cruiser lifestyle. Im going to be airing down the tires, running the gas out and putting it up on blocks. I cant wait to be free.

So the biggest thing is just to be near people and lots of marinas and cruising folk. I will probably be spending the summer on the Chesapeake, I will see how it goes. I still plan on moving south for the season, I will just go where ever makes me happy. I am open to suggestions though.

Tags
liveaboard