Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2019, 17:00   #1

Boat: Tartan 412
marine stove

Im upgrading my propane stove/oven and have a choice between two or three burner. would like input from cooks as to what they prefer.
Five Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 17:49   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: marine stove

IMO, if you have the room, then three burners are better - not because you need three burners going all at once but because it gives you a safe space to place a hot pot or pan over a cold burner if you need to. In effect, a purpose built spot to put a hot object on.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 18:01   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Tartan 41! What a nice boat!

I agree. Extra burner if there is room. We have four. The range top is nice but the oven is sub-par. If an oven matters, do a little research.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 18:07   #4

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Star View Post
Im upgrading my propane stove/oven and have a choice between two or three burner. would like input from cooks as to what they prefer.
Not quite sure how to answer this, since I’ve never used a 3-burner stove, but:

We cook 3 meals a day aboard Rocinante with a 2-burner stove and I’ve never felt the need for a 3rd. That said, our stove has 1 large & 1 small burner. The large works beautifully with our largest pot for pasta and our large cast iron pan for searing. The small is great for sauces, rice, etc.

Assuming that the size of the 2-burner & 3-burner stove is identical or close to the same, I would be amazed if one would be able to use all 3 burners at the same time... just a thought.

While I don’t disagree with Wotname’s point, I always have a trivet or two on the counter to receive said hot pan(s).

Hope this helps in some way.
Old 18-10-2019, 18:41   #5

Boat: Riva 48

If you are starting from scratch and you have the space, consider a two burner stove plus an opening for an instant pot.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 18:56   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’d say it depends on your cooking style. For me, a two-burner stove/oven does everything I need, but I’m no gourmet, and I’m usually only cooking for two.

Come to think of if though, even on land, when I have access to large five-burner stoves, I rarely use more that two burners at a time. Even large meals like Thanksgiving turkey with all the fixin’s doesn’t require more that two burners at a time.

As you can guess, my current boat stove is a two-burner. But I had a three-burner stove for many years on our previous boat. I don’t ever recall having all three going at one time.

Nope … two is just fine.
Old 18-10-2019, 19:11   #7

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
marine stove

Mike’s right. Think of how many times you’ve needed three burners at one time. I’ve got a three burner Force 10 and I’d trade it in a heartbeat for a two burner range with an oven that worked well.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 20:04   #8

Boat: Islander 36

I have a 3 burner Force 10, but like everybody else only use one or two at a time. Three pots would not fit. Like someone else said, I do use the third burner space to store a -- usually unused -- pot.
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 20:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I've had a 3 and a 2. Not enough room on a 3 for 3 normal size pots.
Waste of money,
Old 18-10-2019, 20:06   #10

G'day Five Star! We also have a Tartan 412 - which the guys at the factory in Ohio once told us are the rarest of the Tartans ever built.

We replaced our old CNG stove about 10 years ago with a 3-burner; I use all three burners and sometimes wish I had a fourth one. But as others have mentioned, your need for this many burners is purely a personal preference. If you don't cook elaborate meals, you probably will be happy with the minimum.

Cheers, Katherine

P. S. There's a long saga about the Force 10 stove/oven we installed. You can find that story here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2328109
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 03:14   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Edward.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 03:28   #12

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Like they said if you have the room get the 3 burner.
You would appreciate it underway..not only for cooking but to have an extra ginbaled area to place a pot or a plate or a kettle..etc.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 04:30   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

I have a three burner and have never used all three at once. In fact one of the small burners in back has a problem with the knob where I need to pull it out on the valve spindle a bit to get it to stay lit. I've never bothered to fix it.

Everyone with a two burner who's cooked on my boat complains bitterly about how cramped the burners are, that it's too small to cook with two larger pots together. I agree. It's a pain in the neck and in fact required you to cook stuff sequentially if you need two large pots for the meal.

As for having more gimballed surface on a three burner that's true but you should look at your overall "use case" to decide what is best for you.

BTW if you're buying a Force 10 with the oven, get the version without the door window which is absolutely useless.

Tags
marine, stove