Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 18:19   #31

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE
Re: Mattress Top Memory Foam

Bill,
Thanks for the how-to on looking for the better quality foam. However, I am unclear as to the determination on the 4#/ sq. ft. I would expect density to be #/cu. ft. If it is per sq. ft. what thickness should the foam be?
Duke
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 05:51   #32

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Duke,

Per cubic foot...sorry for my sq foot mistake...I was working on a sq foot calculation on sail area at the same time I posted the info...brain cells crisscrossed!

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 21:48   #33

Boat: Laguna Windrose 26'
We just purchased foam for the berth and will be using the rest for cabin cushions. Ordered a king size to be able to use in multiple areas. Bought from Walmart.
LadyDeMize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 05:30   #34

Boat: 1972 Morgan OI
Send a message via Skype™ to aireus01

We just had one made for our Morgan OI 41.5 and it was very expensive. And I do NOT like it very much. the corners are the size of a king size bed. We had 4 inch firm memory foam over 6 inches and had a cover made from sunbrella. Its OK but not what I thought It would be. So my husband took the topper we bought from Walmart and put it on my side and its better than what it was. When he is done fixing the steering in the aft cabin I will have a new one made by another mattress shop that I have talked to. I would like this one to be made like a Tempur-Pedic mattress that will come in pieces because of the small hallway it has to go down and will be put together in the back when its ready. This is a great topic.
aireus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 07:12   #35

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I aireus01,
You should consider an air mattress, (see my post above). Everyone talks about this or that foam and you don’t hear much about air beds. Perhaps everyone thinks in terms of Coleman camping beds, but the professional beds are a totally different animal. My wife and I both love ours, which can be individually inflated to exactly the desired pressure, which never changes. A big advantage on a boat is either side of the bed can be quickly deflated to nothing, so you are not lugging great sheets of foam about when you need to get underneath.
The only thing you need is a 120 volt source, but this can be achieved using a small inverter, because you aren’t changing the pressure very often.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 13:40   #36

Boat: Fantasia 35

Jolly,

The problem with an air mattress is that it is rectangular. My bunk does not have any angle that is 90 degrees. A mattress for this bunk needs to curve along the hull and thin at the foot of the bunk. Otherwise, I think air mattress is a really good idea.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 13:53   #37

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Well yes, that can be a problem, and nobody makes custom air mattresses that I could find. I overcame this in my aft cabin with foam infills which work just fine. See http://www.schooner-britannia.com/aft_cabin.html The mattress is 72” x 24” and it is possible to squeeze it in a bit at one end because the compressor stops automatically at the pressure you choose, but I agree, you wouldn’t want it popping out half way up the cabin side.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 19:50   #38

We have a sleep number bed and it sucks. I wish i would of never of bought it. Its just not for us. Glad its at my moms place in santa cruz.
Old 16-05-2012, 20:47   #39

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

LATEX MATTRESS

thefoamfactory.com has good latex and free shipping I've used them for years.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 11-06-2012, 18:09   #40

I was watching a repete of Shark tank or what ever its called, This guy was selling air mattress for the back of truck beds with the air pump built inside,(flat) I bet this guy could make one for our boat. I was thinking of calling him to see if he could make one if i gave him the size i need. If i remember its called airbedz.
Old 11-06-2012, 18:13   #41
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireus01 View Post
We have a sleep number bed and it sucks. I wish i would of never of bought it. Its just not for us. Glad its at my moms place in santa cruz.

I had one when I lived on land, and I miss it. However, not everyone likes them. There is a hotel chain that uses them, and it would be worth spending a night at one of these to see what you think of it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:45   #42

It's the same as with Tempurpedic (memory foam) beds. Some people like them, some don't. We love ours, but realize that a whole lot of others have tried them and came to the opposite conclusion.

Much like "what is the best boat?" the question of "what is the best bed?" is so very personal that only you can decide what is "best" for you.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 23:31   #43

Boat: CSY33

The cushions in my V berth were very hard, probably due to age when I bought this boat. I found a 2" memory foam roll, twin sized in a nice cover on sale at one of the discount stores. It's great!

For a while I also had another 2" memory foam pad, without a cover, underneath it. But eventually I rolled that one up, bagged it and put in storage. Problem was, with 4 " of memory foam, I never wanted to get out of the berth!
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 07:29   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

note--if you are allergic to latex, do not buy latex foam. use alternatives. they are more pricey but they wont kill you if you have allergy to latex......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:04   #45

I wish I could get one of thoses Tempurpedic beds. I have a sleep number that sucks. I had problems and they sent me new air bags for the bed. So I have extra chambers for it. I want a Tempurpedic for the aft cabin. BUT I need it in peices so it can go down the small hallway. Its a pain in the arse. But the chambers would work in the aft cabin. Someone made a hallway that goes to the back. Its a small hallway butt you can make it.