Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27   #46

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS
Re: Mattress Top Memory Foam

FSMike - We have a latex mattress from HMC Mattress, and although they are a great company, the mattress is absolutely miserable to sleep on. I don't know if it is the latex or the way this particular mattress is put together, but neither of us can get a good night's sleep on it. Both of us wake up almost every night (sometimes several times) with one of our limbs completely numb -- a whole leg, a whole arm, both hands. It is the pits.

It was the one addition to the boat that we made before cruising full-time that I really really regret. The company has offered to fix the mattress, but they are in California and the boat is on the Guatemala border - no way to get it to them. We vacillate between wanting to pitch the darn thing overboard and just putting up with sleepless uncomfortable nights. We don't have the headroom to put a topper on it.

So before you get a latex mattress, I would heartily recommend going to a showroom with a blanket and a pillow and taking an hour's nap on one if you can get away with it.

The one good thing is that it is not hot to sleep on. We have a memory foam topper in the v-berth (where we both end up on many nights), and it is hot and sweaty in the tropics...
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 16:28   #47

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireus01 View Post
I wish I could get one of thoses Tempurpedic beds. I have a sleep number that sucks. I had problems and they sent me new air bags for the bed. So I have extra chambers for it. I want a Tempurpedic for the aft cabin. BUT I need it in peices so it can go down the small hallway. Its a pain in the arse. But the chambers would work in the aft cabin. Someone made a hallway that goes to the back. Its a small hallway butt you can make it.

You can roll it up tight and tape it to get it there.

Or you can cut it in sections if it is "captured" by the bunk. I would not have cut lines where your bottom is but other than that it probably won't matter.
Old 06-07-2012, 16:09   #48

Boat: Atkins Thistle 32 ft

I just bought a memory foam mattress at OverStock.com free delivery. We were able to cut the foam to fit the shape of the berth. The cost was $265.00 compared to much more elsewhere.
IolantheSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 17:50   #49

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Don't forget.

Memory foam comes in different weights/density's. Just like other foam types.
Old 09-07-2012, 19:22   #50

Boat: Atkins Thistle 32 ft
If you cover your mattress in Sunbrella , you lose the flexibility of the foam and it becomes compressed in a rigid cover. This destroys all the softness factor and makes for a very rigid bed. learned this by accident. We are no longer doing that. Also, you want plenty of air under. We solved this by using slats under the mattress instead of a rigid board. No mildew or mold or dampness.
IolantheSF is offline   Reply With Quote