Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2012, 11:06   #16

Boat: Seafarer 34'
Send a message via Skype™ to KelleyG
Re: Memory Foam Mattress Questions

Thanks all! Your input has been very helpful. I think we'll reuse the existing cushions (they are in great shape) and put a memory foam topper on it while we sleep. We already have a mattress cover for the bed bugs/allergens so we're covered there!
KelleyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 11:12   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use a king sized memory foam topper that is way too big and fold it where it needs to be folded for comfort and filler...works great--doesnt maintain the fold after unfolding. go for it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 11:45   #18

Boat: Heritage 35

What is a hyper vent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
We went the route you are going but I don't have experiece with 1 and 2. We cut the cushion into 4 pieces so it could be removed in sections for access. We used plain velour-type cloth in a medium-thickness for our cushion covers. Not fancy, not marine or upholstery and my sister-in-law sewed them with zippers for us.. It has only been installed for 1.5 years now but we are full time traveling/living aboard and it looks like new. We have hypervent under the cushions so we didn't worry about anything hard core for protection underneath.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 12:10   #19

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

We build alot of cushions for berths using foam.. memory foam breaks down after awhile, so what we use, and have many happy customers is to stack different densities with the hardest at the bottom, using a spray foam adhesive to glue them together. that wat the matteress is soft on the top but stiffens as you go deeper into it.. a great feeling matteress.. we also cover with sunbrella.. cut the sunbrella a few inches larger and do a cold water wash without soap.. it will soften up the fabric but wont destroy the properties and water will still run off..
Have been doing a major amount of interiors with the new designs of sunbrella.. there is a line of new designs called "silica" with a fantastic weave and great feel.. doing one now with Silica Silver..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 12:37   #20

Memory foam takes up a lot of space, is heavy, and if it tears it will rip.

If you were going to put it in and leave it, it might work...just make sure you air it out for 24-48 hours outside first.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 12:58   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

My Tempurpedic mattress is by far the best thing I have ever slept on. It obviously depends on the individual. I have never had any problem with the depression filling back in.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 13:12   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my memory foam pad has lasted me over 4 years so far with much life left in it. i think these pads last just enough time for the job they do
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 14:01   #23
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

After having a marine canvas guy take my deposit and do nothing for 2 months, after a 2 week completion date. I looked at other marine style vendors, and all claimed drop off now, pickup in spring, they hope. I must add that all implied that they were doing me a huge favor to get it in 6 months. So I went and found a upscale upholster who rebuilds 100 year old arm chairs and such. I brought him a template (weird shape, 5 inches wider than stock). To him it was super basic, the cloth was fancy looking and rugged, and puffed up like couch cushion (3 diff layers). I ended up glad the first guy screwed me, because his product was going to look like it belonged in a 1970's boat. Shop around and take your money to a non-marine shop, most likely be cheaper and better quality. I paid $325 for one bunk and very happy. One more bunk and the aft master bed next summer will probably run a grandish. The local marine guys wanted the same or more for 70's RV style quality.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 14:44   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
After having a marine canvas guy take my deposit and do nothing for 2 months, after a 2 week completion date. I looked at other marine style vendors, and all claimed drop off now, pickup in spring, they hope. I must add that all implied that they were doing me a huge favor to get it in 6 months. So I went and found a upscale upholster who rebuilds 100 year old arm chairs and such. I brought him a template (weird shape, 5 inches wider than stock). To him it was super basic, the cloth was fancy looking and rugged, and puffed up like couch cushion (3 diff layers). I ended up glad the first guy screwed me, because his product was going to look like it belonged in a 1970's boat. Shop around and take your money to a non-marine shop, most likely be cheaper and better quality. I paid $325 for one bunk and very happy. One more bunk and the aft master bed next summer will probably run a grandish. The local marine guys wanted the same or more for 70's RV style quality.

And after you product rots apart from household upholstery products, you'll understand why marine upholstery cost so much more. Marine upholstery has the properties to prevent rot , mold , and detereration from harsh elements. Those found in a boat.
Even the foam made for marine use has an anti- bacterial additive added to it much like the foam used in hospitals.
Glen Raven, one of the top producers of fabric has a seperate line of material for marine use. Sunbrella is one of their fabrics.
And the next time you visit a local upholstery shop, ask them about a life time warrenty on the thread and stitching in a marine invorment. They will laugh you out of their store.
For those of us doing marine canvas and upholstery, its an everyday accurance.
Home Page
Old 28-12-2012, 15:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
What is a hyper vent?
I totally love this stuff, it's under all our cushions, v-berth, settee, and under the books on our shelves. After 10 years of living aboard, NO MOLD: Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 15:34   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
And after you product rots apart from household upholstery products, you'll understand why marine upholstery cost so much more.............
..or, like me, you'll find that your cabins below are not subject to anything much different from the needs of an onshore environment and find that quality materials that are not specified as "marine" will suit you well.

Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 15:50   #27
cruiser

Randy, I guessed you would have something negative to say, and you proved me correct. Hey thats my role, I'm the negative one. I'm sure you do great work and I didnt attack you or your work. Just sayin that in a time crunch I went outside the marine loop and got a great product. Its not gonna see much if any water, and did I menion how kick ass it is. Its not boat like at all and thats why its nice. It probably belongs in the tea room of a lagoon condo, but I'm to poor for that. My new upholster friend is awesome, and I look foward to working with him again. I will mention the points you made, and maybe provide my own materials for a better product. Thanks for the advice, Your in the canvas biz so I understand your "I know better" attitude is part of the gig. It just seemed rather unfriendly.
Old 28-12-2012, 15:58   #28
cruiser

Captforce- Nice lookin boat.
Randy - I never once implied that i was looking to save money. I am far from cheap in boating matters. I'm of the spend more $ to support local businesses crowd.
Old 28-12-2012, 16:26   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Captforce- Nice lookin boat.
Randy - I never once implied that i was looking to save money. I am far from cheap in boating matters. I'm of the spend more $ to support local businesses crowd.
Didn't say you were cheep, just posting the other side of the view from someone within the industry.
From a boating standpoint, there are many of things done that a household upholstery person has has no knowledge of. Many of our cushions , are built with a vinyl underside as a vapor barior to keep the dampness at bay. And interior foam wrapped in a thin film for the same reason. These are things a household upholstery person has little knowledge of.

I recently rebuilt or should I say built a new matteress for a berth area as the local upholstery shop had no grasp of how to cut the sides to fit the contour of the hull.
Looked great on the cutting table but HELL when installed. To them , the sides should be square, but as a boater, we know different. You build it to fit the hull.
Old 28-12-2012, 17:23   #30
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47

For the Pearson 365 we needed mattresses in a hurry.
I talked extensively to the local Marine shops and was upset by their attitude about job completion time.
I then came across several shops doing work for garden furniture.
They were absolutely sure it wouldn't mold and even gave me a 5year guarantee.
Just another avenue to investigate.
mub is offline   Reply With Quote