Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2014, 09:56   #16

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Minimalist live aboard brainstorming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee_King View Post
I'm planning to move to the USVI next year. I would like to sail there and use the boat as home while I get established. I would like people's ideas of small boats with shallow drafts that would be suitable to sail from Florida to the VI's. I am well aware that a boats capabilities are based 90 percent on her crew, but for arguments sake we will focus on the other 10 percent in this thread. I'd also love any ideas people might have on making 25ish foot boat an efficient live aboard. Anything from motor choices to galley upgrades. I just spent 2 years living in a VW bus and I'm only 28, you'd be amazed how little I require to live like a king. One quick edit here. I feel I should mention that while living in that bus I was working about 80 hours a week. While technically homeless,I was not a bum. It was just a bet that got way out of hand.

Are you looking for a sailboat, or a motorboat?

Do you plan to be at dock, at sea, or anchored out?

Do you have a specific budget for purchases price?

In general:
- You'll likely be better buying in the Caribbean, as I believe there may a tax advantage to purchasing there and maybe a better selection of boats - that may depend on the type of boat you're looking for
- You're looking at what are probably the easiest seas on earth. Your boat choice will likely be mainly more on living comfort than seaworthiness
- Keep in mind that living at anchor is quite a bit more rigorous than living in a campground.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 10:01   #17

Thanks for all the responses guys, let's keep them coming! I'll try and answer some of the questions you guys have asked. As far as budget, the whole point is to do this as cheap as possible. Someone asked for my dimensions, I'm a huge farm boy. 6'6 250. That being said comfort is an extremely low concern on this adventure. As long as I can lay down I'm happy, be it down below or up on deck. Surely rum will allow me to sleep wherever I lay my head. I would like the shallow draft so I can go into the crazy beautiful anchorages that ask the latter boats can only dream of.
Old 19-09-2014, 10:14   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee_King View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys, let's keep them coming! I'll try and answer some of the questions you guys have asked. As far as budget, the whole point is to do this as cheap as possible. Someone asked for my dimensions, I'm a huge farm boy. 6'6 250. That being said comfort is an extremely low concern on this adventure. As long as I can lay down I'm happy, be it down below or up on deck. Surely rum will allow me to sleep wherever I lay my head. I would like the shallow draft so I can go into the crazy beautiful anchorages that ask the latter boats can only dream of.
Can you give a Price range?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 10:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Just browsing Yachtworld, here are a few ideas:

C&C 30

Catalina 30

Bayfield 25

Columbia 28
The Bayfield 25 is a great little boat. Cape Dory, Albin... boats along that line if on a budget. I would recommend something like that that doesn't have a bolt on keel. I don't think shallow draft is important for the Caribe... only the Bahamas and they can be done with deep draft passing thru anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 10:59   #20

Boat: Vancouver 27

The art of hookie is a great blog, as someone mentioned.

Also worth a good look is Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
Great small boat list geared towards the minimalist.

From past experience living on other people's boats, standing headroom was maybe the one luxury I really wanted on mine. Youre 6'6" so almost no boats under 30' will meet that criterion. Still, something with headroom above 6' would still be high on my list (I'm 6'2"). Every inch is good.

The most expensive boats are the ones with the lowest asking price. Get a well-found boat that was recently refitted by the previous owner if you can (engine, sails, rig, etc.). Even if all the major systems have been recently upgraded, you may still be surprised how much time/money goes into it after purchase.

Best of luck man! See ya in the islands.

Ryan
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:02   #21

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/45776

1972 Bianca 27 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:06   #22

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Nice!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:26   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post

Hi ! How about using the KISS principle (Keep it simple, stupid) ?
A 25' Freedom with a small one cylinder diesel sailboatlistings.com/view/41457 ?
No electronic apart from a speedometer & a depth-meter ?
A plastic sextant with tables + a small GPS !
Kerosene lamp inside, keeping the electricity for navigation lights & short wave receiver-radio. No fridge, an ice box when anchored near civilisation
I would sail from wherever I would find a Freedom 25:
Bingo!! That's my style right there. I'm a glutton for punishment from mother nature. I've done a couple 400 Mike thru hikes and learned this lil saying. "Embrace the suffering" I have no delusions of being able to stand inside whatever boat I get. No shower, I'll invest in a decent bucket. I would like some input on the poop issue. I've read a lot of people just use a bucket for that as well, inserting a plastic bag when necessary. Is this acceptable?
Old 19-09-2014, 11:32   #24

My very first boat was a US Yachts US27. Although the parent company was a Bayliner (yeah, I know Bayliner the home of the Buccaneer) USY was a totally independent division with its own designers and production facilities. As a result they turned out pretty decent boats, especially in the mid-range of 27-33ft. Anyway, mine was 3.5ft draft, comfortable cockpit and plenty of room below deck. As a bonus it was rugged as well for its size and original price. we were changing depth sounder near the keel and were amazed to find almost 2" of solid fiberglass there. My first season out I hit some rocks in the harbor (3 good bumps) and few months later during haul out was happy to see that only some keel led got dented, few inches at that. And a tiny "smile" at the forward portion of the keel which we epoxied in an hour. Also the shaft bent about 1/8-1/4" but since this was a training boat for me then I just shaved off that much from the top of the rudder even though it was fully operable as is, just in case to prevent it sticking at some later point. It had a 7.5HP Volvo which while not the best engine in it's size class was pretty rugged and easy to fix as it was a simple 40+ year old technology with no electronics to rust, etc. And it was a pretty decent sailor getting 6.5kts as hull speed and turning on a dime even with shallow keel.

Since I got the boat in pretty rough shape and between my g/f being dead set against wasting $$ on really sprucing it up and me wanting to move up to a mid 30's boat I reluctantly parted with it getting about 3 times more than what I paid for it 5 years prior. Now, I wish I kept it as I'd like to have that size of a boat down in Florida so I can use it as a crash pad and a day sailor on my visits there since a month fee for docking is about the price of 1-2 days in the hotel.

Unfortunately not too many of them were made compared to Odays, Catalinas and Pearsons. And most of them if they come up for sale are distressed and in need of TLC to say the least. But the good bones are there and I'd recommend it to anyone wishing to get a well built easy to sail inexpensive 27 footer with 6' standing room in the cabin. Last year there were several on c-list around Buzzards Bay that were asking $5K or less. By the time I got around to go there for a look see they were gone.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:37   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

Something to consider is tankage for water and waste as well as deck space for your tender.

Sure you can do it on a 27, but it is nice to be able to put the tender on the foredeck of a 30.

My 27 came with 10 gallons of fresh water storage, my 30 has 60 gallons.

Sure you can sleep in a quarter berth on a 27, I have. Hit my knees and elbows a lot. Love the V on my 30 as unlike the 27 it is not stuffed with all the stuff that does not fit else ware.

Look around, 30s are not much more price wise than 27s an 25s but have much better interior space.

Gary
Old 19-09-2014, 11:37   #26

Boat: Ericson 34

- You'll likely be better buying in the Caribbean, as I believe there may a tax advantage to purchasing there and maybe a better selection of boats - that may depend on the type of boat you're looking for

Hi ! Although I live/work in the West Indies, I've just purchased a 1987 Ericson 34' in Manistee/Michigan for fresh water sailboats are in far better shape than salt water sailboats. Also, tropical sun is a killer for not so well built GRP deck. A friend of mine just approved my choice by saying "Over time, steel rusts, wood rots, aluminium returns to dust, while GRP just waits !"
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:47   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Wookie

At 6'2"+ and 225 the Tartan 33 is bearly large enough for me on a 5-6 day trip. Do NOT under value the worth of being able to stretch out. Consider the Pacific Seacraft line. Bill Crealock valued head room and built taller cabins.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:51   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Rather then a bucket for a shower, get a 2 gallon garden sprayer and paint it grey or black. About $10 at the big box stores and makes a great solar shower.

While a bucket will work for a head, A cheap marine head is not too pricy and a bit less smelly. Plus no danger of tipping the bucket over in rough seas or in the middle of the night.

I think from a new minmalist standpoint, having solar panels and a battery or three will be cheaper overall. Once set up, there is no lamp oil to buy, no ice to buy. I use a cheap $140 120V dorm fridge run off a $50 inverter. Been working 7+ years with no problems and no lugging ICE. Three group 27 batteries, 200W of solar and a $20 PWM charge controller and you're happy as a clam.

Rather then mess with a sextant, get a cheap tablet with built in GPS. Multi functional,Surf, email, skype and chartplotter all in one. If GPS goes down, not likely, you can get latitude with a protractor and stick without mucking about with a book of reduction tables.

The difference between a VW bus and a sailboat, is the sailboat is rocking at anchor all the time. Having adequate head room to stand up and move about while the winds are blowing 30-40 knots, is far and away better for you overall.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 12:03   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
My 27 came with 10 gallons of fresh water storage, my 30 has 60 gallons. Gary
My 27' had factory installed 30gal fresh water tank, 20 gal diesel tank and 20gal waste tank and 6gal hot water tank which I took out and put a 20gal add'l freshwater tank in its place.

But you're right there was very tight room for a dinghy on deck although a smallish 8' or under would've been OK.

Another issue is the cost of docking, transporting, haul outs etc. A 27 footer is way cheaper than a 32 footer. Also with a shallow draft can be trailered DYI if needed. And the draft issue is also important once you get to FL or Bahamas. Plus a 32' with 3.5 draft or less is not much of a sailor close hauled (unless it's a more recent one with a bulb) while my 27' was doing fine.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 12:57   #30

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Minimalist Live Aboard Brainstorming

I know someone who knows someone who did this in a Vancouver 25.

I think maybe a deep keel version.

I would too. Looks like a no nonsense small craft that could be used by a skilled and unfortunately brave driver.

What about the smallest Southern Cross? Or a Yankee 30?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote