Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2017, 03:38   #121

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Month 10 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I never had to wear long pants in the Bahamas (that would have made me leave). Yes I have air conditioning. But if you get trapped fuel becomes an issue. We left Georgetown in bad weather (the 45' boat in front of us turned back) and went into emerald Bay as that was the nearest fuel dock we could get to and it had been over a month. Well then we were stuck there 8 days till I couldn't take the surge pounding to the point of running the bad conditions at the entrance to get out. Once we did the next 2 nights at anchor were so bad with the wind and surge that when out on a crossing in 30+ winds justifying that it would behind us (still turned out to be kind of foolish)

Our Bahamas time was like what you read of people's first cruise where they come back and sell the boat!

Love your honesty Don. You should write one of those cruising dream books, but call yours "101 ways cruising really sucks."

Any lessons learned or changes for the coming months? Perhaps that's a new thread...

Some of the time life on a boat does suck -- just like life on shore. This is why I say cruising is a lifestyle. It's not just being out on vacation.
Old 27-07-2017, 03:50   #122
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Love your honesty Don. You should write one of those cruising dream books, but call yours "101 ways cruising really sucks."

Any lessons learned or changes for the coming months? Perhaps that's a new thread...

Some of the time life on a boat does suck -- just like life on shore. This is why I say cruising is a lifestyle. It's not just being out on vacation.
Honestly Mike, I don't have any bad days during my six this year to maybe seven months next year on our boat. I can usually only count maybe five rainy days, and during the windy days, I'm almost always able to find a non-windy anchorage. Even breakdowns are just a minor challenge.

Everyday on the boat beats the daily grind on land. No cars to maintain and worry about, no time schedule.... what's not to like?

So far today, the biggest decision I've needed to make was whether to order a chocolate Croissant or a berry filled Croissant for breakfast... I purchased one of each.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 08:41   #123

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

This is why I say vacation and weekend sailing especially on a bay 30 miles wide fed by the Atlantic Ocean can be a lot like cruising full time because you can get put in many of the same situations (closer to home) but for not quite as long.

Here you may not be able to recross the bay for a couple days due to weather so you have to plan ahead a bit which isn't that hard because we can get the weather reports on VHF or internet.

Stuck in an anchorage with 20-30 knot winds is still stuck in anchorage in 20-30 knot winds whether you are cruising full time and "livin the dream' or whether you just had scheduled vacation during bad weather and went anyway.

At the least, it's good practice for cruising full time because it give's you some idea of what you could be in for without transitioning 100% to the cruising lifestyle.

Last vacation sail there was some weather but at least I was in decent spots to anchor with offshore winds instead of onshore which had been my luck previously
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02026.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	152795   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02045.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	152796  

Name:	DSC02049.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	152797  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 09:04   #124

Boat: Rafiki 37
Month 10 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
...Stuck in an anchorage with 20-30 knot winds is still stuck in anchorage in 20-30 knot winds whether you are cruising full time and "livin the dream' or whether you just had scheduled vacation during bad weather and went anyway.

At the least, it's good practice for cruising full time because it give's you some idea of what you could be in for without transitioning 100% to the cruising lifestyle.
Completely agree Thomm. I always suggest people spend as much time living and travelling (cruising...?) on their boat, long before they leap into full time or long term cruising. I think this is the best way to learn the skills and challenges that go with the lifestyle.

Ken: we all know you live a magical and charmed life [emoji6]
Old 27-07-2017, 09:21   #125
cruiser

Mike,

Unlike a land-based existence, when living on a boat you can move around. There's really no reason to hang around and complain about how much cruising sometimes "sucks". It's sometimes all about "location, location, location," and overall attitude.

I took this image at 6:30am this morning on my hike up the mountain. Life is what you make of it.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	152798  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 11:13   #126

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Sailor boy, u make me wanna cry! Wifey and I vacationed there and had a blast. But then again we were in a hotel. Swam with the dolphins. We were at Freeport. One of the tours we did took us through the many man made canals. Saw one or two boats that were hiding back there.

I have really enjoyed your posts. They are confirming my worst fears about costs. My little 29 foot Sharpie has already chewed off one leg and broken the skin on the other leg as I go through a major renovation. Keep posting up. I am glad Weavis stepped in. He said it correctly. I think that is why my German Shepherd and I were such good friends. He he.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 11:43   #127

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Completely agree Thomm. I always suggest people spend as much time living and travelling (cruising...?) on their boat, long before they leap into full time or long term cruising. I think this is the best way to learn the skills and challenges that go with the lifestyle.
Exactly. Many times folks only see and hear about the good times and beautiful days.

The bay isn't the Bahamas, but the weather can and will change fast especially in Springtime.

The pictures were taken maybe 30 minutes to an hour before the video(s). I had only anchored for the day a few minutes before that. Maybe around 3:30 - 4:00 pm

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02025.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	152816   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02022.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	152817  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 11:48   #128
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Sailor boy, u make me wanna cry! Wifey and I vacationed there and had a blast. But then again we were in a hotel.
Yeah my wife and I vacationed in the Bahamas numerous times the past 35 years and it was much different. Just shows that cruising and being on vacation aren't the same.

As I said everyone should go and do it, just don't confused it with being on vacation (I understand that's not what wannabes wish to hear, sorry).

Tags
boat, cruising