Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 15:44   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Month 12 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
So first you like to be rude about sailorboy 1's lifestyle, and then you are bragging about betting on other people's boats being trashed!!!

Keep posting sailor boy, some of us appreciate it!
Actually, you would be surprised at how much you can learn about anchoring while watching anchored boats during a hurricane. (the situation: sailors drinking, no power, at apartment 150' from the Bayou, (with the water 10' from the first floor apartment's doors) Cat 1 hurricane, giving opinions/betting on which boats would come off anchor first and hit the low bridge just 50 yards downwind, then have their masts knocked off and go under the bridge)

I think we did this at least two-three times between 1995-2004 during hurricanes.

Some of the old salt full keel monohull cruisers were giving detailed accounts on each sailor's attempt at anchoring his boat for the storm.

There were the one's that spent lots of time setting out 2 or 3 anchors then there were those that spent about 10 minutes placing their boat too close to the ones that were anchored properly, dropping a little anchor and with very little scope, then rushing back to shore before getting too wet

I was a beach cat racer at the time in Beach Cat Heaven (Florida Gulf Coast) and this information was very interesting. I had never seen boats at anchor during a hurricane let alone know how to go about it. I had anchored for years but not during winds of 75 plus

CF is great for learning about sailing but when you see a nice sailboat come off anchor and start slamming into a bridge, you remember it

My boats were on trailers 150 yards inland! (safe!?)

I used to hang out with the old (ancient) full keel monohull guys because they had tons of experience and they got a kick out of how well our high tech beach cats could point and sail in and out between the marinas (and tacking in that tight space) no matter what the wind was doing (we could lower our daggerboards as soon as we hit 3'-4')

Btw, slips were $50.00/month back then if you lived in the apartment complex. I was able to keep two beach cats tied down just above high water for free as long as I lived there. (this in Pensacola, FL before Hurricane Ivan in 2004 which changed everything)

The water level in the first floor apartments was around 7' during Ivan in 2004 at this complex
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 15:48   #47

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Got it.

This persisted so long because SB1's nastygram to me was sent via the "Thanks" method at the bottom of a post and since I never did figure out how to delete the message it stayed there quite a long time as a reminder........and I took exception to it. Both the message and the way it was sent.
Do you see how to delete all your private messages now? There is a little box to the right of each message. If you check it and scroll down to the bottom you have a little menu there to choose what to do with the message. Choose "delete" and push "go" and it should be cleansed from the system.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 16:22   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Do you see how to delete all your private messages now? There is a little box to the right of each message. If you check it and scroll down to the bottom you have a little menu there to choose what to do with the message. Choose "delete" and push "go" and it should be cleansed from the system.
This was a "Thanks" message not in the private message area.
Old 19-09-2017, 16:28   #49

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
This was a "Thanks" message not in the private message area.
OK, I think I see what you mean... The "latest thanks received" when you click on the "user CP" still shows the text of the "Thanks" even after the message is deleted.... checking on it. For now, as you may know, you can roll up that menu to make them all invisible.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 16:31   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
OK, I think I see what you mean... The "latest thanks received" when you click on the "user CP" still shows the text of the "Thanks" even after the message is deleted.... checking on it. For now, as you may know, you can roll up that menu to make them all invisible.
Okay, thanks.

What I did was simply "not go there" after a while
Old 19-09-2017, 16:43   #51

Boat: 1988 Morgan classic 41

Sailor boy,

Count me in as another one who enjoys reading your budget thread. Please keep posting, you are helping many of us get a better understanding of what awaits us.

It's your money, that you spent a lifetime earning, spend it how you please. If anyone questions your spending habits, don't waste a second of your valuable time debating it with them, it isn't worth it.

You mentioned, in your initial post, that you have some upgrades to make based on what you have learned in your 12 months of cruising. I would love to hear what those upgrades are. It's that kind of info that we future cruisers crave. Maybe a separate thread would be a better place to answer that question, and it would allow others to provide their views as well.
Morgan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 04:50   #52
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslandGuy View Post

If you ever want to do a thread here or on SBO of every mod you've done on the boat I'd love to see it. We've been going through our boat bow to stern making changes to make the boat ours, and I would love to read what you've changed/kept/improved on.
If you didn't know there is a section on SBO under the the specific model where owners have put their mods. I haven't check it in a while but it is interesting to check it once in awhile. I should try to remember to take pictures when I do one and post it there.

Tags
boat, cruising