Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2017, 05:42   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Month 9 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

This past month we traveled from Vero Beach Florida to St Augustine Fl. Not that far as we had some family things to be done and St Augustine was a good location to do it from.

We spent 13 days in a marina at Vero Beach on a mooring and 1-month at St Augustine on a mooring. Since we paid for the Vero one when we left and the St Augustine when we arrived all are on this month's numbers.

My daughter moved from New Hampshire to Florida and my wife went to help with that. So that was unusual expenses.

Did some standard small stuff on the boat and installed a holding tank vent filter and had the bottom cleaned. Got a couple of sun shade tarps for the boat also. So even though nothing big happened it still adds up

Entertainment expenses were for some Kindle books and a few movies.

Fees were $79.29 I got back from my credit card rewards, but $150 for a professional certification fee having to do with my wife who just couldn't talk herself out of it.

We got food but didn't do a restocking. Also got some clothes and shoes that are in the "food" number

The total was $ 3,574.81, that breaks down as follows:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 625.25
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 399.12
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 54.38
Dining out - $ 1,037.32
Entertainment - $ 108.74
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 284.05
Fees - $ 70.73
Marina - $ 616.74
Medical - $ 22.27
Transportation - $ 67.33
Daughter moving - $ 288.88
Old 17-06-2017, 06:04   #2
cruiser

Re: Month 9 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

How many months can you over-spend your $3000 monthly budget before it becomes a problem on your fixed income? Do you have a contingency fund which will take care of the overages?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 06:48   #3

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

I have no idea why I am asking this.
Could you break down the communication, storage, shipping and entertainment expenses?

Gratias ago plurimum ob haec notitia
Old 17-06-2017, 07:38   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Thanks sailorboy, these posts really help me. Looking at real reports vs projections.
Obviously I will spend more in some areas and less in others, but that's kind of the point. These are real numbers in a real world.
Keep it up please.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 08:14   #5

Boat: Boatless

Dang! We were in St Aug and Vero!

Thanks for checking on Ohana. She was in good shape and we had a hot week or so in the Bahamas.

As far as expenses go I've always been of make more, watch less, crowd. Not sure the smartest approach but would probably have a coronary if I actually knew what this addiction cost.

Find us on Facebook at Paul R Berger, easier way to keep in touch :-)

Enjoy and keep posting!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 08:49   #6

Boat: Catalina 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Thanks sailorboy, these posts really help me. Looking at real reports vs projections.
Obviously I will spend more in some areas and less in others, but that's kind of the point. These are real numbers in a real world.
Keep it up please.
+1
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 08:50   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
How many months can you over-spend your $3000 monthly budget before it becomes a problem on your fixed income? Do you have a contingency fund which will take care of the overages?
At least 60

Last month I spent $500 more than the budget but made over $2000 that wasn't budgeted for.

This is a budget thread not a "how much money does sailorboy1 have" thread.
Old 17-06-2017, 08:56   #8
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooksFraming View Post
I have no idea why I am asking this.
Could you break down the communication, storage, shipping and entertainment expenses?

Gratias ago plurimum ob haec notitia
In the communications line $230 was cell phones and the rest was a storage locker

I think last month in entertainment $7 was kindle books and the rest were movies at the theater including the popcorn etc
Old 17-06-2017, 09:47   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
At least 60

Last month I spent $500 more than the budget but made over $2000 that wasn't budgeted for.

This is a budget thread not a "how much money does sailorboy1 have" thread.

I think his question stems from how set is the budget really. I have a budget for instance, but can go over as I have a little extra, just in case. It's just my make up to have a back up.
Assuming the budget isn't really fixed, then well a person may overspend a little cause they can, but if the money simply isn't there, then of course they find ways to cut back, cause they have to.

Met a couple from Toronto the other day, had them over for Cheesecake and wine so I could pick their brain, as few "real" cruisers come through here, they are on a 37' Moody, which is a rare boat around here. She is going back to work as a TV producer for six months to refill the kitty.
They said they left two years ago on a six month cruise and are still cruising.
Anyway when I asked she said they cruise on about $1500 US a month. I did not push, but suspect that is a month to month spending and does not include savings for bottom jobs etc. For example their Perkins is bleeding oil excessively and he plans on an overhaul in the six months she is working, and as how I think they are going to have that done, that would kill a $1,500 a month budget for a long time.

We have begun, but I am not keeping track of expenses yet as they are large now, and will be for a few months as I finish our fit out.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 10:16   #10
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We have begun, but I am not keeping track of expenses yet as they are large now, and will be for a few months as I finish our fit out.
Well that is part of why/how people can say they cruised on $Low. They don't report the "don't counts", "restocks", "that's a 5 year item" etc etc. and they loaded up the boat and stopped before the costs started again.

I can tell you what I have spent on my boat since the day I got it. From Dec 2010 when I got the boat to Sept 2016 when I left for cruising full time buying, using, maintaining and upgrading my boat I have spent $187,827 (within about $1000 because I did rough math for loan interest).
Old 17-06-2017, 11:46   #11

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Well that is part of why/how people can say they cruised on $Low. They don't report the "don't counts", "restocks", "that's a 5 year item" etc etc. and they loaded up the boat and stopped before the costs started again.

I can tell you what I have spent on my boat since the day I got it. From Dec 2010 when I got the boat to Sept 2016 when I left for cruising full time buying, using, maintaining and upgrading my boat I have spent $187,827 (within about $1000 because I did rough math for loan interest).
Your posts are informative and educational (to my mind there is a difference). They also feel trustworthy because of what you do not omit. In other words they are much appreciated! Thank you.
Old 17-06-2017, 12:00   #12

Quote:
In the communications line $230 was cell phones and the rest was a storage locker

I think last month in entertainment $7 was kindle books and the rest were movies at the theater including the popcorn etc
I love the movie theaters and popcorn
Will be one of the few things I will miss.
Old 17-06-2017, 12:33   #13

Boat: Montevideo 43

My Wife and I are going cruising from November 2017. We are retired and sailing from South Africa to Carib / west / wherever.
Our budget is USD 2000 per month. So after reading your 9th month expenses, we are very comfortable with that budget. We are not planning for restaurants and marina fees as a normal part of our lives. Thanks for that info. can you tell me your ave monthly expense for the first eight? Cheers
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 13:08   #14
CLOD

The last 8 months are on the forum
Old 17-06-2017, 13:28   #15

Do search for

Month Expenses & Costs of Cruising
they will come up