Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 14:25   #1

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Month to Month ... liveaboard

I'm sitting here thinking ... wondering how to be a cruiser AND a liveaboard at the same time ... without appearing to actually be "living", on my boat full time.

It's pretty hard to find marinas that will actually "allow", liveaboards.

BUT, I have never heard of a marina turn away a short-term, away from home cruiser, who happens to be staying on their boat until they go home. In other words, living aboard.

I'm in Lake Erie and next year I'm contemplating staying at my "home", marina for a month, the travel a few days for another month's stay, at another marina, then another, then another.

I've noticed there's usually a close to pro-ration of the total summer dockage fee if one stays for a month or so. I might pay a "little", more per month, but it's a lot cheaper than a transient dockage.

I hope to find that even marinas that don't allow liveaboards, will only consider me a transient docker til I get back on my way.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 18:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Month to Month ... liveaboard

Your proposal is quite correct and easily done, although we often do come across marinas that welcome liveaboards. When we arrive at a marina where we plan to stay for a while, we inquire about the weekly and monthly rates. We are rarely asked about wether we are living aboard, but we don't hesitate to say that we are fulltime cruisers. Acually, even at marinas without liveaboards, if we step into the office after a month with money in hand for an added month, we've never been turned away.

I should add that we do not establish any of the traits that are common among many liveaboards. We don't own a car or expect regular mail service. We rarely keep any items that are not on our boat and our boat is always ready to get underway
Old 15-10-2014, 01:21   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

SURV69,

It is likely to be a bit chilly in your area in Jan-Mar. Condensation may be something you'll want to plan for.

"Sneak-aboarding" is alive and well many places. Be discreet. Very discreet. All will be well, but be careful on the icy docks.

Ann
Old 17-10-2014, 21:14   #4

I find if you do your research, there's more marinas that allow liveaboards that you think. I looked all over the world today (via Google I mean) and found one in Florida that actually pitches to liveaboards, and makes no bones that it is proud to have families whose kids have grown up to adulthood at the Marina. My Marina (in Australia) has no qualms about liveaboards, but doesn't have any decent shower or laundry facilities: just basic stuff, so if you tolerate that, it's fine. There's 8 families here who have been here for a year or more.
Rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 14:34   #5

Most Great Lakes marinas we've come across really don't care if you live aboard. Lots of folks summer on the boat.

I think the difference is:
- In Florida, you get people without finances who pick up a derelict boat for next to nothing, get it into a marina and generally make a nuisance of themselves in a variety of ways.
- On the Great Lakes, winters eliminate the problem. The derelict boats aren't capable of traveling south for the winter and most people quickly give up on the idea wintering on the boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 09:56   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
................ In Florida, you get people without finances who pick up a derelict boat for next to nothing, get it into a marina and generally make a nuisance of themselves in a variety of ways.
I agree that this occurs, but just as often, there are people with limited finances that purchase a boat for next to nothing, get into a marina and fit well with the community.

I am presently at a marina that I have returned to since 1981 and encourages liveaboard families just as Rumplestitkin described. I have a nephew that passed his Catalina 22 on to a friend who is living aboard while he has moved to a Soverign 23 that he bought for $200. I also have a grandson here growing up on a far more expensive vessel with his parents.

I'm not saying that "bums on boats" are not a problem, but there are also many who do well living aboard with moderate or low incomes who are maintaining inexpensive boats and remain well accepted in their marinas.
Old 20-10-2014, 10:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I agree that this occurs, but just as often, there are people with limited finances that purchase a boat for next to nothing, get into a marina and fit well with the community.

I am presently at a marina that I have returned to since 1981 and encourages liveaboard families just as Rumplestitkin described. I have a nephew that passed his Catalina 22 on to a friend who is living aboard while he has moved to a Soverign 23 that he bought for $200. I also have a grandson here growing up on a far more expensive vessel with his parents.

I'm not saying that "bums on boats" are not a problem, but there are also many who do well living aboard with moderate or low incomes who are maintaining inexpensive boats and remain well accepted in their marinas.
You mistook my point. It's a one bad apple spoils the bunch situation not that all are bad.

In the north, winter weeds out the bad apples without any significant effort on the marina owners part. Yeah some financially challenged good apples leave after the first winter but in the end, marina owners rarely see problems with liveaboards, so there is little reason to prohibit them.

In the south, if you get a few bad apples, the owner has to weed them out himself. That's usually a messy undesirable process and it's often simpler and easier to just prohibit liveaboards. As long as the marina stays full and profitable, most marina owners have no interest in being domestic councilors.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 12:35   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You mistook my point. It's a one bad apple spoils the bunch situation not that all are bad. ...................................
I understand your point and I believe you are correct. That's why I began my response with, "I agree".

It is true that many marinas avoid the difficulties with some liveaboards by not accepting any. Many marinas also have liveaboards, but do not state that they accept liveaboards when asked the question over the telephone.

Many of those that succeed gaining a slip in a marrina as liveaboards arrive with a sound, clean and fully operational vessel and rent a slip for a month. Then they pay for a second month and later a third. Their condition matches the title of this thread and they are quick to pay, often in cash, at the first of the month.

Since 2002 we have stayed at many marinas for a month or more at a time and the question of being a "liveaboard" never comes up. We often just stay one month, but maybe three or four months.

I've seen the boats covered in tarps, unfinished projects and empty beer cans strewn about by owners with late payments and Valhalla's right. They can't surive aboard in th frozen north, but once they can get into a Florida marina they are difficult to evict.
Old 20-10-2014, 13:54   #9

I have found if I ask I'd they permit transient sailors it works out much better than live aboard.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard