Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2009, 23:59   #46

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by VERTIGO View Post

STATE OF GEORGIA

OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR

ATLANTA 30334-0900

Sonny Perdue
GOVERNOR

August 24, 2009

Dear Staff Sergeant Stephens:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regardingGeorgia law pertaining to derelict boats. I appreciate your concerns.

So that this situation can be addressed to your satisfaction, I encourage you to discuss your ideas with your state legislators. Should you need their contact information, it is available from your county board of voter registration.You can look up any bill under consideration by the Georgia General Assembly by going to the legislature's website at http://www.legis.ga.gov/.

The members of the General Assembly in your district can actually sponsor or vote on legislation on your behalf. When such legislation reaches my desk for signature, I will give very careful consideration to the concerns you have voiced.

It is always good to hear from my fellow citizens, and I appreciate you making me aware of your interest in this matter.

Sounds like a general blow off to me, still putting out more letters though. Will post as I recieve responses.
Hey good job for caring man, and good luck too. I hope you get some people's attention.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 05:49   #47

Boat: Grand Soleil 36
But someone living in a marina is not living in a private propriety?

So why the law should be applied to someone that should be similar to a tenant of a flat?

Can an officer came in a private propriety (like a mooring slip) and have a control without a complain?
Africaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 05:55   #48
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
good point but it would seem that the waterways are public. when they step on land they are on private property and i guess if they haul the boat then they can live on it?
gonesail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 06:49   #49

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
C'mon Sarge you know the deal. Use the chain of command first, and if that doesn't work, THEN break down the Colonel's door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERTIGO View Post
Sounds like a general blow off to me, still putting out more letters though. Will post as I recieve responses.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 06:56   #50

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Honestly, I think it's the responsibility of the marina to prevent eye-sore derelicts from berthing. If the Govt wants to come down on someone, let them come down on the culprit and not on everyone else. In the local city marina here (Corpus Christi) they tend to keep on top of boats like that.
In the end, the GA Govt is impinging on that section that regards "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness". Just cuz they can get away with it, don't mean they should do it....
.05c
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 17:37   #51

Boat: 440 Lagoon
Just to follow up, I have sent around 30 e-mails, newspapers and stations, Government ect... with only 2 very generic responses. I don't know, maybe a petition to have a one year boycott on GA waters?? In and out only as necessary or something, I don't know..
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 19:32   #52

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
The biggest problem with Regulations is they tend to grow into Monsters as time goes by and more addendums are added. The time to restrict the restrictions is when they are proposed!
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 06:07   #53

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Has anybody read the actual law on this? I found that you can request an exemption to the 30 day rule right in the actual regulation >>>>> O.C.G.A. §12-5-288(b)(8). (8) Occupying a live-aboard for more than 30 days during any calendar year; provided, however, that the commissioner may grant extensions of time beyond 30 days to persons making a request in writing stating the reasons for such extension. Owners of docks where live-aboards are moored as well as owners and occupants of live-aboards are responsible under this part.<<<<<
- - Who knows what they consider "reasons?" But has that avenue been tried?
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 06:47   #54

Location: I live in Soutbridge, MA and Sail out of New Bedford
Boat: 82 O'day 25, Shadubie
LooK...If you are anchored, docked or moored for more than 30 days, you really can't claim the moniker of cruiser....Cruisers are on the go, transient, adventurous. There's nothing wrong with just being a boater. Boaters go home. If you want your boat to be your home, move to a boater friendly state. move....then you'll be a cruiser. Hey!
avril25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 19:36   #55

Boat: 440 Lagoon
I read it as: My boat is Jacked up and I am waiting on parts ect... Not, I really like Georgia and would like to stay for a year. Just what I gather out of it. I will send out a letter and see what response I get though.
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgia