Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2014, 19:36   #31

Boat: Alberg 35
Re: Most Affordable East Coast US marinas in VA., MD., or NC?

I own a slip at Anchorage Marina in Baltimore. It's a great place. There's a Safeway (big grocery), several restaurants (Starbucks, Chipotle, among them) within a block of the marina. Canton Square has too many great restaurants to name; my personal favorite though is the Sip & Greet, diner about 5 blocks from the marina.

Lots of boats stay in the water there all winter. Mine is an Alberg 35, winterized, but if I really wanted to, I could get her out and go sailing on a good day, I'd just redo the winterization. They shut off the water out to the docks for the winter; power stays on. The heads and showers are available, laundry too.

Just to be clear: I have no financial interest in the place other than owning a slip there. I just like it and while it's not a "working yard" place, it's a fun place to have a boat.
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 04:14   #32

Re: Most Affordable East Coast US marinas in VA., MD., or NC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
You're going to buy your dream boat and then keep it a six hour drive away? And you're going to trust guys at the cheapest marina in six states to call you when the shore power cord falls off?

I once kept my boat in the water in Rhode Island for the winter. I took a sail on Christmas day just after a snow storm. Magical.

If I was you, I'd look in Baltimore harbor. You can get a slip for October 1 to May 1 (or something like that) for about $1500. Put a little Espar diesel heater on the boat and your wife/girlfriend might like it too.

Be sure to find a marina that keeps the water on and has a way to pump the holding tank without leaving the slip.
I definitely would not look in Baltimore. Its a cold place in the winter, water is turned off, and docks get icy. If that does not put you off try looking up the crime rate in Baltimore. Many boats get vandalized in that area no matter if it is gated or not. Happened to me. Also it is a noisy place at night with all the police cars going with sirens blasting and YES plenty of gun shots.
Not a place for my boat anymore.
Tropiccafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, marinas