Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 07:50   #46

Re: Most useful skill for cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Although its sort of been said already, if you develop the skills and business contacts to make money remotely (via computer and phone), then all you need to maintain that capability while on the boat is good communications equipment.
Billr

That's the sad part. Although my job does not necessarily require "face time", I am not at a high enough level to convince anyone that I can do my job from a remote location. People don't trust lower level employees with that kind of freedom. I guess they think you'd be goofing off more than working.
In the IT world I was a helpdesk type person and then did some on-site support. I could do helpdesk work from anywhere with the right software, etc.
In architectural world I am a draftsman and would only need email to communicate requirements for drawings, etc. But, again, no one wants a draftsman that they cannot keep an eye on.
So, looks like if I go, I'd be relying on manual labor, etc. Not that I mind doing that, but I doubt I could find much along the way..
Does anyone here make a few dollars teaching sailing, scuba, etc. or taking tourists out for fishing, sailing, etc.?? I know that could cause an issue in some areas as you'd be taking business from locals.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 15:43   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

Nobody mentioned miraculous converting of sea water into fresh. I think it actually beats the other skill.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:18   #48

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Nobody mentioned miraculous converting of sea water into fresh. I think it actually beats the other skill.

b.
I've been researching miraculous desalination I'm optimistic, but seems I'd be slipping into poverty if that was my income source.

scg: I was a corporate cog until layoff in 2010... I took up IT consulting through agencies and gradually got to the point where I can work remotely. Seems like some pretty big Corps are hiring IT support or customer folks that work from home (saw commercials on TV). Try Indeed.com and search "work from home". My last gig was 20hrs/wk... this one I've been onsite since July, but will switch to remote only support beginning in December.
Old 06-11-2013, 15:44   #49

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Patience.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:20   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
Water into wine... now there is the real money maker
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:25   #51
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgstich View Post
I am not a cruiser yet and since I am female with a husband who is handy mechanically, maybe I think differently.

Seems to me I often read about food on these forums. Is it possible to sell homemade breads, desserts, etc? Perhaps there is a market for 'food from home' that isn't made by locals?

Also, depending on where you are, you may be able to supplement your income by tutoring. Do you speak more than one language? Do you have a subject or skill you can share? Doesn't have to be a language, perhaps you are an excellent splicer and can teach the skill?

Just a thought.

I know of one couple who financed a circumnav in a small boat by making crepes and selling them to cruisers in each anchorage. They had a setup which fit in their dinghy, would row around in the AM and ask if people wanted fresh crepes and cook them on the spot while alongside. Worked for them.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 17:43   #52

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
Water into wine... now there is the real money maker
Seawater to Bourbon would be better

We had another thread about brewing beer on board. One really could sell and trade good microbrew
Old 06-11-2013, 19:45   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Seawater to Bourbon would be better

We had another thread about brewing beer on board. One really could sell and trade good microbrew

I'm a home brewer. I'd be interested in that thread. Got a pointer? Or help with search terms so I can find it.

Never mind. Tonight my search skills are beyond normal, found it myself.

Thanks though.
RonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 20:37   #54

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

I learned to make palm frond birds and palm frond hats.

This will never support a cruiser, but it will get you all the beer you can drink in any bar with tourists present. That is no small thing, by volume or by value.

Both birds and hats make nice gifts, and often I have had more return for gifts than I did by sales.

I have also carried a spool of leather lacing and a bottle of Pliobond glue. I make leather turks head bracelets and rings. While I give them for free in friendship or thanks, they have opened doors that cash could not. Nylon net twine makes nice bracelets too.

I also tend to carry a small bag of hard candy, to offer children or old ladies. Kind people are often better treated, even economically, than hard nosed wheeler dealers. It works for me.

Once, talking to a secretary in a Mexican agent's office, I learned she liked Julio Iglesias, and gave her a CD of Julio's music I had. Later, when I needed mechanical services from through the agent, I somehow got bumped to the top of the priority list. Kindness has a way of bouncing back at you.

In short a generous spirit will make your travels more pleasant, and often cheaper and easier.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:45   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgstich View Post
Also, depending on where you are, you may be able to supplement your income by tutoring. Do you speak more than one language? Do you have a subject or skill you can share? Doesn't have to be a language, perhaps you are an excellent splicer and can teach the skill? Just a thought.
That's my plan. I'd had my fill of my profession (accountant - yeah, i know) and was pondering the earn-as-you-cruise question for ages. I've looked into this extensively, and i went back to Uni to get qualified to teach adults - an easy 9 day course.

Now i have two one-day-a-week teaching jobs, which give a good $50 per hour, will flesh out my 'teaching' resume nicely, and best of all, i love it!

I moved aboard a month ago and by the time i'm ready to sail off towards South East Asia (after upgrades, to both boat and skill set) i'll be eminently desirable as a teacher of english, accounting, business, IT, etc... Most work visa troubles are routinely overcome by employers for teachers.

I've spoken to many who have done this (not cruising, just travelling perpetually) and verified the rumours.

Did you know there are currently more people learning english around the world than there are native english speakers on the whole planet?

Of course, if you don't know the difference between you're and your, or to and too, or then and than, or cloths and clothes, then forget it.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:12   #56

Boat: islandpacket
I am not crusing yet, but I wish I had started with a bigger bag of money. Its not a lack of projects on any boat.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:04   #57

Send a message via Skype™ to jasonk

The ability to figure things out for yourself
jasonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56   #58
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Skill set required: robbing banks.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:58   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Since we started our cruising life almost six years ago, my husband has been paid to repair outboard engines, service diesel engines and repair sails. We have paid for someone to look at our fridge once. We have both made a bit of money by cleaning flotilla boats.

We are lucky in that I have a Military pension so there is no great need for us to chase work. Anything we can earn whilst cruising is a bonus, which is just as well as we couldn't rely on it to continue our cruising lifestyle!
Old 07-11-2013, 13:22   #60

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
Of course, if you don't know the difference between you're and your, or to and too, or then and than, or cloths and clothes, then forget it.
and don't forget the most annoying and widely misused words 'loose' and 'lose'. can't tell you how many people don't know the difference. drives me nuts.

i think of them as 'loosers'.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser