Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2009, 18:19   #16
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I say quicky paint the bottom, check the propshaft and thruhulls and splash her. You will be on stands again. I did just as I advised when I bought Magic. When I left the first boatyard it was with an outboard bolted to the back and mast in pieces. I priortized after that. Hull dry, motor running and fresh oil filters, rig up and tuned. I was then ready to sail. 5 yrs later I'm nowhere near done but we've cruised tens of thousands of miles and the boat is improving all the time. I see all the time people who try to get a boat perfect, get discouraged and give up their dream or sit in a marina and never go anywhere because they aren't ready. Work the basics just enough so its safe, then get out there. My advice for what its worth. Steve
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 18:34   #17

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
WOW!...lots of great comments I think this is the first thread I have ever read where they were all so right on in one way or another..

Take solace Brother...

You came to the right place number #1... as I think you are finding out already...I second everything thats been said so far... so what Im really saying is you just being around other like minded sailors like you are here right now is really what you need for that motivation to come back ...No man is an Island ...Right?..............(Who said that anyway?)..

Welcome Aboard Mate... and what ever we can all do to help we are here for ya.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 18:54   #18

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
Ok, say I pull off a financial miracle and get the bottom done, the atomic 4 running, the mast up and tuned and pay the marina the $800.00 I owe them for storage. Where should I head for winter that is cheap and allows me to save and continue working on the boat for cruising?
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 19:02   #19

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Been there, done that. Faith is the Pearson Ariel, marketed as the 'Triton's little sister'.

They are fantastic boats that will take you anywhere.

Get the boat back in the water. Take a day to finish filling cracks (there is absolutely NO reason to make the bottom perfect.). Roll on your primer if you are inclined, and then roll on the bottom paint.

What specific jobs do you have to have done to sail? Take things off the list that are 'nice to' THings like painting the mast, or even refreshing the rigging are things you can do on your way.. get out of the yard as fast as you can.

Start heading south, move at whatever sails pace you can.

Here is how we did it. You have the opportunity of a lifetime. Do not let it slip from your fingers.

Please post your 'to do' list to see if anyone here can help you cut it up.

Good luck!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 19:04   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I have developed a rule.

It is called CHIEFS' 51% RULE

Until you get to that point you will experience, fatigue, desperation, depression among other things. Manytimes this involves having too many things torn up on a vessel. The cure? Step away for a while. When you return, work one project at a time thru to completion. Also keep the boat as cleaned up as you can when you finish each day. Nothing is more Depressing than having to work amid a bunch of clutter.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 19:07   #21

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Ah, the Triton. Great boat! I remember reading Daniel Spurr's book,"Upgrading the cruising sailboat" which uses his Triton as an example for several of the projects. She's a sweet little boat. Triton, we're also in the middle of a tough refit, and I'll be danged if I can tell you what motivates me more...but I know it's a great feeling to be on the down slope and past the 50% complete phase. You will get there...but only if you get off your ass and here's the key: Do SOMETHING every day that, when you lay down to sleep that nite, will make you proud. Here's what I'll do for you: if you don't own Spurr's boat book: Amazon.com: Spurr's Boatbook: Upgrading the cruising sailboat (9780915160570): Daniel Spurr: Books I'll send it to you for free. PM me your name and mailing address. Also, see my website for pics of our refit in progress: Anacapa Pilothouse Motorsailers - Home Good luck, Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 19:25   #22

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
All of you are correct, in more ways than one. One little bit of info I left out was I spent about $8,500.00 on her before I had any knowledge of what was important to do first. That did not include the cost of the boat, which was very little. To make everything worse, a lot of what was bought I had to return to pay for medical bills that the VA wouldn't cover. So it's like taking 5 steps forward and then getting thrown off a cliff. Christian, thank you for the offer, part of the $8500 went to a very well established library where I learned how I should have spent my money initially. I had taken 2 month's off from the boat and today I decided to go to Tim lackey's site and James Baldwin's site and then came across this site. Is it fate? Does it mean I need to start putting money away again and get back to work? I hope so!!!
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 19:29   #23

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Once again: You will get there...but only if you get off your ass and here's the key: Do SOMETHING to the boat every day that, when you lay down to sleep that nite, will make you proud. You'll get there, and be cruising the Keys before you know it. Been there, done that!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 19:38   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Visiting Mystic Seaport always gets me enthused.
Good luck and hang in there.
regards,
Old 15-08-2009, 20:52   #25

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
IMHO Cheechako & Barnakiel offer good advice. Do what you have to do to get going, and just get going. Life on the hard is always at the duller end of sailing life. Do the 'must do'; prioritise the rest for later.

Worst case: if you find cruising is not the life for you, you won't invest more time than you had to to find that out. But you will meet nice people, have great times , and that will give you all the motivation you need.

Take the tools & kit you need to do the next few jobs, and if you enjoy cruising the more cosmetic work can get done in more idyllic climes ...
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 21:05   #26

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Once again: You will get there...but only if you get off your ass and here's the key: Do SOMETHING to the boat every day that, when you lay down to sleep that nite, will make you proud. You'll get there, and be cruising the Keys before you know it. Been there, done that!

Hey I brought a case of beer down to the boat the other day...cleaning out all the emptys from the last one made me feel better...does that count?...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 21:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonSailor View Post
Ok, say I pull off a financial miracle and get the bottom done, the atomic 4 running, the mast up and tuned and pay the marina the $800.00 I owe them for storage. Where should I head for winter that is cheap and allows me to save and continue working on the boat for cruising?
I'd go for the Chesapeake initially. I don't know the marinas there very well but my understanding is Herrington Harbor North is pretty reasonable.

Herrington Harbour Marinas Chesapeake Bay Resort - Dining - Lodging

I think there is also a reasonable marina on the canal between the Delaware and Chesapeake Bays.

On edit: if you can get down to Florida, Indiantown marina is a very reasonable yard where you can do your own work.

http://www.indiantownmarina.com/
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 23:03   #28

Boat: Sceptre 41
Tritonsailor:

thanks for your service in the military. I was recently overwhelmed with boat projects. i didn't know what to do. What project should I work on. Here is what I did. I made a spreadsheet. i sorted it a couple of ways 1) importance 2) those I could afford and 3) those I had already bought the parts for. I took all of the projects that i was working on and had parts for and consolidated the projects putting them in ziploc bags and then in a box. I also put approximate times on the projects. Lets say that I havd an hour I would look at my list and find a project that I had listed for an hour and then did it. I have been working on the boat for three years now and am finally getting in front of the curve to the point where I am able to get projects done that improve the boat rather than projects that have to be done. I figure I have at least another year to go before I have the boat where i am dong maintenance and special projects.

BTW i used to vote Republican more often then Dem till I found out about the Rep congressman who asked for an increase to the VA budget before the war b/c he knew that the VA services would be taxed with the war. Repubs told him to stop when he persisted they kicked him off the committee. OK rant over.

Va

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 23:21   #29

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I did a restoration on a Pearson 27 Renegade when I was stationed in the navy in Puerto Rico. It was a major project. I can feel your pain. When I was done, I was happy with the result. Pearsons of that vintage can sail safely anywhere in the world. Very Strong boats.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 00:53   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
When you put the boat in the water your progress will go down hill, instantly. It just isn't as easy to work on the boat at a dock as it is in a yard. Things seem to take twice as long and a lot more travel time going to a shop or whatever that you need to do to get work done.

Having said that, you can delay the splash forever getting everything perfect. I'd prioritize the work that needs to be done into what has to be done in the yard and what can be done in the water. Finish as much of the yard work as you can by October 1st and then head south. Take what you can't carry on the boat now and a car, put it in storage and come back for it when you have a need for it. Don't waste a lot of money on storage, however. Most of what you'll want to keep will have no value for you six months from now.

You'll need to get far enough south that resin will kick and paint dry on a normal winter day. I'd say at least to Georgia and probably central Florida. As a retiree, you'll have base priveleges so you might think about Charleston or Jacksonville that have big bases. The Bases are a great source of shop space and tools. Rebuilt a lot of an old Morgan in the base woodshop at NAS Norfolk.

We built a Westsail 32 from a bare hull. It was my 2nd woodworking project since 8th grade shop and the first time I'd done much glass work. Still can remember the feeling when I unscrewed the temporary plywood cover for the companionway and looked into that cavernous bathtub. My first thought was "What have you got yourself into, there is no way you are going to finish this." It's amazing what you can acccomplish when you have no choice but to forge ahead. We launched almost a year to the day that we started and left for SoPac a year after that.

Good luck with your project and get to warmer weather. Amazing what a little sunshine and warmth will do for your attitude in January.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote