Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Moving North

Kraden, another Annapolis marina that says they have liveaboards is Eastport Yacht Center on Back Creek. Might be significantly less expensive that Port Annapolis... but with fewer amenities. About the nicest/cleanest head/shower/laundry facility we're ever seen (just this last weekend) in a marina, though.

I believe the most relevant wintertime issues are dock water and pump-out. It often freezes up here, although a "bubbler" sorts that easily enough... but the marinas I'm familiar with all turn off dock water and pump out at the first impending hard freeze. Suspect I'd put questions about this at the top of my list when examining marina options.

Commuter buses run from Annapolis (several park-and-ride locations) to the Metro stop in Greenbelt... and it's easy enough to get to the Pentagon from there. Assume a 1.5 hour (approx) commute each way, with waiting and transfer times. Driving can be a 45-minute commute if before/after rush hours, but parking is an issue.

-Chris
Old 11-08-2012, 05:24   #17

Port A does pumpout at your slip with a cart, so I suppose they can do that in winter as well. Don't really know, as we've gone south every winter since they got the cart. <*smirk*> They also have winter water available at the dock. The hoses they use stay deep underwater, below the likely freeze level and you lift it up to access. Don't know how common this approach is in Annapolis. But as others have said, this is not the least expensive place around.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:45   #18

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

B-b-b-brrrrrrr. (She says from 11 degrees N. ) Make sure your electrical system, including your shore power set up and the circuits where you will plug in your space heaters, can handle the high loads.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02   #19

Boat: 1969 MORGAN 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraden313 View Post
My husband and I currently live in NC and live on our sailboat. We have lived aboard for nearly 4 years now and absolutely love it. However, he is in the Marine Corp and pending orders to the Pentagon. We have looked at many marinas around Annapolis but to be quite honest the winters up there are making us very nervous as most of the marinas don't allow live aboards. We would like to bring the boat up there so we can live on it, but are worried about the weather and all that comes with it living on a boat. Any suggestions, ideas, opinions welcome. . Thanks
Go to and join for free ACTIVE CAPTAIN. It a great source for marina info and lots more.

Don't forget to subscribe to their newsletter.

https://activecaptain.com/

Regards

Bill
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25   #20

Boat: Seaward 22

Check out Galesville, MD. Closer to DC than Annapolis. Maybe cheaper too.

Don't know if they have liveaboards, but it is a nice quiet area

Scenic dining waterfront restaurant seafood, Pirate's Cove Restaurant Marina Lodging Giftshop Dining on the West River Galesville, MD Marina
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 14:38   #21

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
We live aboard in Galesville. Very laid back. Bars and restaurants and close ( 4 miles )to new grocery.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 16:28   #22

Galesville? Did you mean to say "bars and restaurants" or did you mean "bar and restaurant"? "Laid back," or, perhaps, "comatose except for bingo on Wednesday night"?

(Just funnin' with you, Patty... )
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 12-08-2012, 03:11   #23

LOL @ Jane!!
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 05:01   #24

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

If Annapolis location isn't critical, another choice might be Herrington Harbor, either North (Deale, MD), or South (closer to North Beach). The commute to the Pentagon may be "OK" enough. Dunno about liveaboards, but I'm at North (transient) as I type this, and I'm always reminded it's a pretty great place.

-Chris
Old 14-08-2012, 06:15   #25

Bill thank you I will sign up for Active Captain. In fact, a fellow here at NBG Marina told us about this. It's pretty cool. And Chris, we actually did visit both Herrington Harbor North and South. In fact we have now narrowed our decision to Port Annapolis and HH North. We will have our decision made by end of this week. Port A has so much and seems to have more of a live aboard community, which is pretty nice. HH North is absolutely beautiful and the landscaping is gorgeous and the slip they have available is awesome.....but there are quite a few things we will have to add on (i.e. direct tv, post office box, pump out fee, bubbler perhaps, electricity). However all of those are minimal costs. Main thing is where we will be truly happy. I think we can be happy either place. So it's going to come down to the commute for mister man and what direction he wants to take. . All these posts have been extremely helpful and MUCH appreciated. :-).
Kraden313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 06:49   #26

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The Capitol Yacht Club can't be beat for location, and they are in the planning stages of expanding their dock facilities They have lots of live-aboards. If I were you I'd check it out and get on their waiting list if possible.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 06:59   #27

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy
Galesville? Did you mean to say "bars and restaurants" or did you mean "bar and restaurant"? "Laid back," or, perhaps, "comatose except for bingo on Wednesday night"?

(Just funnin' with you, Patty... )
Hey..we have Big Mary's, Thursdays, and Pirates Cove. You can stagger home from any of them.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 07:06   #28

Boat: a sailing boat

Look for a marina with good shore facilities - showers, pump-outs, etc.. You do not want to shower in your boat while it is snowing outside. You do not want to run in icy rain to the toilet either. Make sure there is wifi or 3/4G access from the boat.

I found that extra insulation of the boat is a great thing and not only to keep it warm but also to keep condensation down.

Good all-over covers that allow plenty of air flow but keep the worst of rain out are a great +1.

It is fun up North, if you find an area where there are things ashore that will keep you entertained throughout the winter.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 08:28   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel

It is fun up North, if you find an area where there are things ashore that will keep you entertained throughout the winter.
That rules out Galesville, then, right Patty? Unless you're into bingo.