Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2019, 04:56   #31

Re: Multihull or money aside

How come do you say there is not much saving at the purchase price?
Did you check the price of Jeanneau 469? There is much saving.
What is equivalent to Lagoon 40 in your point of view?
chakil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 05:04   #32

If believe your 40' example monos are equivilent to the 40' cat and you can save $100k going mono...it only makes sense to go with the mono.

It seems you've made that assumption, so have at it and save the money.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 05:13   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If believe your 40' example monos are equivilent to the 40' cat and you can save $100k going mono...it only makes sense to go with the mono.

It seems you've made that assumption, so have at it and save the money.
I have made no assumption and thats the reason why I am here and writing my thoughts , trying to learn from experienced sailors like you and the others.
If you say 50ft monohull is equivilent to 40 cat , you are right not much difference on the price.
Size is important as we are going to be liveaboards and I really don't know what I will feel in a 40-45 ft mono after a few years.
Old 16-01-2019, 05:34   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakil View Post
I have made no assumption and thats the reason why I am here and writing my thoughts , trying to learn from experienced sailors like you and the others.
If you say 50ft monohull is equivilent to 40 cat , you are right not much difference on the price.
Size is important as we are going to be liveaboards and I really don't know what I will feel in a 40-45 ft mono after a few years.
Find your way to a boat show or go look at used boats. What exactly is the upsize to be equivalent is somewhat subjective but most reasonable people will say the 40' lagoon is significantly larger than the 40' monos you list. I'm not going to get into a back and forth where you argue all the different possible measurements and you are unlikely to ever get 3 cruisers to agree on the exact increase in length to be equivalent.

What size you need is a personal choice.

We are quite happy with a 34' catamaran which we think is equivalent to about a typical 38-40' mono.

Another side benefit of cats is shallower draft, which we use a lot and better maneuverability in tight quarters.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 09:50   #35

@ chakil :
I understood your question.
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 11:16   #36

I here of many who go from Mono to Multi hull. I do not here from anyone who moves from Mulit to Mono. Has anyone here moved in that direction? Why ? Would you do it again ? Let us know.
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 16:06   #37

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlroofman View Post
I here of many who go from Mono to Multi hull. I do not here from anyone who moves from Mulit to Mono. Has anyone here moved in that direction? Why ? Would you do it again ? Let us know.
We did, admittedly a powered mono.

Comfort, space, load carrying ability and affordability was our reasoning.
That and regardless of vessel type, many seem to spend more time sails down and motoring than they care to admit.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 16:37   #38
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We did, admittedly a powered mono.

Comfort, space, load carrying ability and affordability was our reasoning.
That and regardless of vessel type, many seem to spend more time sails down and motoring than they care to admit.
I've read the Dashew theory on why they decided to go to power and it intrigues me. Are you able to expand a wee bit more on the calcs you used to decide to go for the trawler you've got now? I'm guessing from your profile pic it's pretty spacious?
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 01:25   #39

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

There are also many mono hull sailors looking for a cat, among them some known YT vlogger like Sailing Ruby Rose, Cruising Off Duty, LaVagabonde etc., even SV Delos was thinking about a cat, but AFAIK they finally decided to go for a large mono with space for many people as temporary crew, but who knows.

There are many advantages when living is on a large, level upper deck with spacious salon and cockpit and great views around.

As live-aboard you spend more time in anchorages on the hook then under sail, so living quality is more important than sailing performance up wind. Given the idea of circumnavigating with the trade winds, there is very little advantage of a mono to a cat, especially downwind a cat is often faster.

Old 17-01-2019, 01:55   #40

I really want to go with the multihull but does not seem realistic to buy a L400 owners version within my budget. Maybe I go with the 4 cabins which my wife never wants. What do you think of conversion 4 cabins to 3 cabins with a larger bathroom, any idea of how much that may cost. Jessica and Ryan was working on the project but its been a long time they could not finish it yet.
Anyone tried to do that conversion?

Thanks,
Old 17-01-2019, 04:37   #41

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakil View Post
Forget about the numbers , its the philosophy we need to talk about.
Do you prefer to get a monohull ,consider you can pay for your living and maintenance and have extra money in your pocket to buy extra toys or travel 3-4 months to some exotic places.
On the other hand,
you buy a multihull and you can pay for your living and maintenance but you have less left to enjoy.For you to understand less, 1 month travel and eating outside twice a week.

I am just trying to find a answer if its worth it to pay almost double price to live a similat life.

I am wrestling with a similar question. I have 2 boats and need to get rid of one. One mono and one cat.

How you want to spend your life is the real question.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 05:46   #42

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
My best answer - ask the Admiral.

For us it will be the Cat. You'll save more on the monohull in the long run, in cats everything doubles the costs, two engines, more expensive marinas, two hulls to paint...

But also the double fun, no heeling, more stable, way more living space, less draft, faster downwind, better sleep.

I've got an OK for a cat, but a NO for a monohull.
"Comfort" == happy wife

LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 05:00   #43

How much time will you spend cruising? Will she be a dock queen or will you actually get her out and about regularly? If she’s always at the dock or on the hook, then the cat is really only getting you extra beam (extra room). So, if a 40’ mono has enough rom for you two, then you’re not realizing the benefit of spending more money on the cat.

Now, if she’s going to be sailed often and you/your wife are not comfortable being heeled over for hours at a time, then you’re less likely to enjoy the monohull and the money you saved by purchasing a less expensive monohull isn’t a smart decision. That is, if you hate being on the boat, it’s not worth the savings.

I think what most are suggesting is that your question, spend more on a cat or less on a mono, isn’t the proper guiding question for either style. If you can enjoy being on the mono, then save the money and buy one. If you need more room and don’t want a stove on a gimbal to be happy, then you need a cat. At that point, start looking for the best cat you can buy for the money you want to invest.

Only you and your wife can say what ride you’re happy with. Have you cruised on both styles in sloppy conditions?
Wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 06:16   #44

Hi,
We sailed with both and liked them both in terms of sailing.
We went to see a 2014 Lagoon 38 owners version today asking price 180K euro with radar, ac, generator. Maybe would go for 170K euro which is a good price in our region.
But 380 feels really small just same feeling as a 40ft monohull. I think we are going to wait till we can buy 400S. My wife did not seem to be happy with 38 ft either.
Old 21-01-2019, 06:58   #45

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

Monohull, no question about it. (But I am sure there are others who will feel as strongly about the superiority of a multihull.) . As others pointed out, it is a very personal choice.
Bill Streever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, money, multihull