Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 19:04   #31

Boat: Still Looking for my "Intrepid"
Great topic-
I was hoping to see that someone else was willing to bring an electric piano aboard-
maybe I can, too.

As to the mandolin vs uke items..your whole idea of the humble uke will change forever if you check out the youtube vid of "while my uke gently weeps" by Jake(?) Shimbukuro...he is a wizard on a large-ish uke, a real treat to see...there are alot of folks doing rock and blues material on ukes these days- for me it would be a FLUKE Uke!

Don't Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 16:16   #32

I'm returning to regular practice on my little folk harp because we're planning a longish summer cruise. The last time I made this cruise I managed to get further in my music books than ever before, and avoided joint inflamation (the bane of all harpists - too much practice can really hurt!)

The cool thing about my harp is its simplicity - thick solid wood for the frame/neck/post, and birch/cherry ply for the sounding boards - which has proven impervious to the humidity issues of the sailboat.

I hope this time around to get good enough to possibly play in public.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 12:49   #33
Hal

I play the organ and have wondered how to fit one on board. Guess a cheap keyboard will have to do.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 13:04   #34
Eternal Member

Thirty-five years ago I bought a Japanese-made acoustic guitar in Hong Kong. It was a "Morris" brand, came with a hard case, and cost $35. It was a copy of the famous Martin D-28 dreadnought. Good bargain.

I carted this guitar all over the world. It has lived on my sailboat for the past 19 years, 11 of them in the Caribbean. Without the case. Kept having one problem...the bridge glue kept giving way, so I opted for a sailor's solution and put two short 1/2" s/s bolts through the bridge, along with a liberal coating of glue, a couple of big washers, and nuts.

This didn't change the tone one bit. And, the bridge is still intact. The guitar still sounds great. In fact, it has a better bass than does the real D-28 (which I now own and keep ashore, naturally).

Moral: don't be concerned about keeping an acoustic guitar on board. They can take it. Just need to change the strings more often than you would ashore.

BTW, I've heard those "boat guitars". IMO, they can't hold a candle to a real guitar :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 13:05   #35

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
I keep my Martin Acoustic on board, stays in a hard case when not being played. Takes up alotta room, just try to lay it outta the way as much as possible.

Gotta have it though, no matter how much room it takes up.

I wouldn't take it cruising in saltwater though, would buy a cheap one instead... Just in case.

Cheers

Bill
Old 16-01-2009, 14:00   #36

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I play the organ and have wondered how to fit one on board. Guess a cheap keyboard will have to do.
Hal - if you are comfortable with letting a computer do the tone-generation (I'm particularly fond of Garage Band on the Mac and its various instrument packs), then a cheap "MIDI controller" can take care of the front end. Since I don't want to take my main digital stage piano aboard, I'll be picking up a cheap 88-key unit, cutting the keybed in half, and hinging it (something I would be afraid to do to my Roland!). This can then be stowed and hauled out as needed...

I'm not sure which model is going to be subjected to this surgery (probably M-Audio), but when I do, I'll post a how-to on my Nomadness website. It seems to be a subject that comes up frequently amongst musical skippers and crew...

Steve